Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
    40 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My apologies. I was quoting mr ‘snowflake generation’ guy, but quoted you by mistake lol.

Btw, I don’t drink Sherry. I’m only 43, that’s an old timers tipple ?

No problems...by the way I still think BBC are a tad OTT as regards to mentioning heat in Australia (being part of our commonwealth), yes no doubt big bush fire problems but you can get that in less hot tinder dry conditions, I checked out the conditions in various Australian cities the other day when apparently 40c was being experienced in every state and not one city was anywhere near it and for that day and the week ahead. 

Can't help thinking it's BBC at every opportunity throwing climate change into everyone's consciousness...

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all Yesterday was one of my favourite Meteorological Winter days of all time - no snowfall but -4c to start the day with a lovely sunrise, frost stayed on the ground at sea level all day,

One of the cold persuasion waiting for snow

You could apply that to gale lovers, why would you want a potentially destructive storm causing death, damage, disruption? You could apply that to thunderstorm lovers, why would you want a severe

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes
    17 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may actually sound incredible even to me but at a second glance you have to look on a map and see exactly where that is.It is very close to the coast in the very far north west just a stones throw from Cape Wrath which holds 3 of the daily December maximums for the UK.You have to compare it with places like the outer Hebrides and the West of Ireland which have a climate way different to inland where temps are much more consistant for much of the year.Some places in West Ireland havnt had snow or frost for 50 years am guessing it wont be too different in North west Scotland on the coast.Shetlands temp today is 8 deg and when London is basking in temps in the high 20s Shetland is often in the low teens and sometimes single figures,not a great difference all year around.

A stiff southerly wind producing the Foehn effect in the Achfary area. The temperature over the open Sea is nearer to 10C. 

image.thumb.png.ff5528e151a95c4562d112145ec83b1b.pngimage.thumb.png.f233ac5f1a3cce80e53bd23aebb89b29.pngimage.thumb.png.bf104102483e12e15a51571b5d277f73.png

• Like 1
    Posted
    16 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Here are the averages of snow lying days from 1981 to 2010. Even right on the coast they do get some snow days, albeit nothing like inland. They are also prone to high temperatures at time particularly in winter with the foehn effect. 

7A414C7E-1DC1-4451-B710-CC806F55FC78.gif

5-10 days on the coast here in Essex!...that's pushing it, since 2013 I'd say nearer an average of 2 per year.

Posted
    3 hours ago, SLEETY said:

What the hell wrong with the general public.Went to Brighton seafront yesterday afternoon,it was about 10c and sun out,so felt warm,I was walking with just t shirt no coat,yet most other people were walking about with gloves ,coats,scarves,hoods done up,and not even cold.

Unbelievable!

Don't people look at weather forecasts anymore? ,or just ignorant.

Heaven forbid we actually get a bitter outbreak this winter with sub zero temps,how on earth will they ever cope.

Snowflake generation,now!

Rant-over!

Maybe they were all full of this damn cold that everyone has.

It has been cold in places where there's been no wind to blow away the overnight chills (as sometimes happens here in the Vale of York) There's been no warm spell here at all in terms of temperature though it's been very pleasant when the sun has been up. The high here was 8.5C yesterday  - not 12 or 13C predicted - and 4.7C today. Yesterday's hoar frost melted in a few hours of daylight but today's has survived all day in the shadows. We went to Bridlington yesterday.  The car said 5C when we set off at noon after demisting the thawed frost, and 11C when we arrived there at 1pm where an offshore breeze had developed. Like us, most people had gloves and hats on after the frosty start. It was nice to be warm there as we all have had the lurgy and stupid cough for three weeks. The highest we've had at home in the last week has been 8.9C and there's been three hoar frosts - including Christmas morning. I might add that it's only 1.3C now. The week before we had a 2.0C high on the day the mist did not clear. When the wind is low to non-existent, temperature can get vary variable over short distances. I'm presuming we'll have another hoar frost overnight to make 4 in a week. No warm spell here.

Edited by Aleman
    • Like 1
    Posted

Jeeez i just looked at GFS 12z...

Its beyond horrendous for coldies it really is.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
    9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It’s not good the fact the only decent looking chart is at 384hrs says it all

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    38 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may actually sound incredible even to me but at a second glance you have to look on a map and see exactly where that is.It is very close to the coast in the very far north west just a stones throw from Cape Wrath which holds 3 of the daily December maximums for the UK.You have to compare it with places like the outer Hebrides and the West of Ireland which have a climate way different to inland where temps are much more consistant for much of the year.Some places in West Ireland havnt had snow or frost for 50 years am guessing it wont be too different in North west Scotland on the coast.Shetlands temp today is 8 deg and when London is basking in temps in the high 20s Shetland is often in the low teens and sometimes single figures,not a great difference all year around.

Not in the current 'climate', it's not: February's all-time record smashed; at least two separate T850s records set; and, by some considerable margin, the highest temp ever recorded, anywhere in the UK...? One would, all things being equal, expect such events to become more all-year-round, with time...?

And so it's turning out!?

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
    40 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

No problems...by the way I still think BBC are a tad OTT as regards to mentioning heat in Australia (being part of our commonwealth), yes no doubt big bush fire problems but you can get that in less hot tinder dry conditions, I checked out the conditions in various Australian cities the other day when apparently 40c was being experienced in every state and not one city was anywhere near it and for that day and the week ahead. 

Can't help thinking it's BBC at every opportunity throwing climate change into everyone's consciousness...

The cities are typically on the coast and so the temperatures are more extreme inland. Very easy to have temperatures well above 40C away from the major cities in every state, but also have no cities reach 40C. It doesn't require a slight of hand from the BBC!

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
    51 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Seriously? Tad OTT?.......Sorry but i disagree. The issues in Australia are just one issue,areas in India have had the coldest temps in a 100 years,Moscow is experiencing its mildest winter in decades. Some of the sub Asian continent is having the lowest rain fall totals ever recorded. Uk Winter temps are now so high the likelihood of snowfall is remote winter after winter even in my location in the Pennies. Climate change is very real,the BBC is certainly not being OTT with its response thankfully. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    17 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

The cities are typically on the coast and so the temperatures are more extreme inland. Very easy to have temperatures well above 40C away from the major cities in every state, but also have no cities reach 40C. It doesn't require a slight of hand from the BBC!

Yes that is the case and we know the interior of Australia away from the coasts is largely population free and the climate is not sustainable for hardly anything, still can't help thinking BBC are grabbing hold of every bit of info they can which will push global warming to the forefront of the news...always seems to be Australia though at this time of year, what about New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, South Africa or any other southern hemisphere country?

• Like 2
    Posted

No measurable snow here in December since 2010 now. As this December has been completely snowless, that means next year we'll reach a decade without any.

January isn't doing much better mind you, with just one 0.5cm cover that lasted less than 12 hours in the last 7 years. 

• Like 3
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Seriously? Tad OTT?.......Sorry but i disagree. The issues in Australia are just one issue,areas in India have had the coldest temps in a 100 years,Moscow is experiencing its mildest winter in decades. Some of the sub Asian continent is having the lowest rain fall totals ever recorded. Uk Winter temps are now so high the likelihood of snowfall is remote winter after winter even in my location in the Pennies. Climate change is very real,the BBC is certainly not being OTT with its response thankfully. 

I'm referring to Australia not elsewhere in the globe...as mentioned in my above post we hear little from elsewhere particularly in the southern hemisphere about their summers, when was the last time you heard about record temps in South Africa or Argentina? (by the way I'm not a GW denier).

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I'm referring to Australia not elsewhere in the globe...as mentioned in my above post we hear little from elsewhere particularly in the southern hemisphere about their summers, when was the last time you heard about record temps in South Africa or Argentina? (by the way I'm not a GW denier).

This month?

WWW.TIMESLIVE.CO.ZA

Vioolsdrif, a village in the Northern Cape, has broken a new record for the highest temperature in the country — reaching over 50 degrees Celsius.

and earlier this year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/02/07/southern-hemisphere-is-scorching-all-time-record-heat-set-chile-argentina-australia/

• Like 2
    Posted

Okay stand corrected on that...can't ever remember this in the news at the time (certainly not on BBC pages), just as significant as Australia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
    5 hours ago, Don said:

To be fair, heat lovers would be moaning on the final day of June had it had been a cool/wet month and the outlook for July was also very poor for warm weather.

Cool/wet weather in summer is a big spoiler for outdoor events and holiday plans. People rely on the weather holding up in summer. As much as cold weather lovers dislike mild winter weather, it really doesn’t have an impact on your daily life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
    1 hour ago, reef said:

No measurable snow here in December since 2010 now. As this December has been completely snowless, that means next year we'll reach a decade without any.

January isn't doing much better mind you, with just one 0.5cm cover that lasted less than 12 hours in the last 7 years. 

That’s actually one area this decade has been fairly decent here - it’s been pretty snowy, certainly snowier than the 90s and 00s and probably snowier than the 70s too. However that snowfall was overwhelmingly concentrated in 2010-2013. It’s been pretty lacklustre for snow since late 2013 except for early 2018. 2013/2014 was the first winter without any settling snow I remember, and 2018/2019 came close were it not for a sprinkling of snow at some point in January, but it might as well have been snowless.

Edited by cheese
    Posted

Here we are again with models looking as though this winter could be another disastrous winter for achieving a proper cold spell for the UK. With nothing of note showing yet, and there has not really been a cold snap let alone cold spell to speak of yet; if January does not deliver anything decent in terms of cold at some point, then I cannot see February being anything  other than average to mild.  Since 2012-13 I can only think of winter 2017-18 that really was anything close to an average winter that brought a decent cold spell to the UK.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
    1 minute ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Here we are again with models looking as though this winter could be another disastrous winter for achieving a proper cold spell for the UK. With nothing of note showing yet, and there has not really been a cold snap let alone cold spell to speak of yet; if January does not deliver anything decent in terms of cold at some point, then I cannot see February being anything  other than average to mild.  Since 2012-13 I can only think of winter 2017-18 that really was anything close to an average winter that brought a decent cold spell to the UK.

Yes and that was only because of the double whammy of easterlies of course, around 28th Feb and 15th March. 

Posted
    3 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes and that was only because of the double whammy of easterlies of course, around 28th Feb and 15th March. 

And wasn’t that after the so called experts on here had written it off too.

• Like 4
    Posted
    2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Book a holiday to Canada for your snow this winter, otherwise you might be waiting until December.....

Posted
    23 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Since 2012-13 I can only think of winter 2017-18 that really was anything close to an average winter that brought a decent cold spell to the UK.

The BFTE in February 2018 gave us all hope for last year.  However, as last winter and this winter so far have shown, it looks like it was a false dawn for a return to colder winters.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No measurable lying snow here this year. No snow falling this December either. Looks like Jan will go the same way.

Posted

I think that a closer to average and less mild winter overall in 2017-18 than in 2013-14 to 2016-17 and the late Feb 2018 easterly gave hope that declining solar activity towards the minimum and a neutral ENSO state helped winter 2017-18 be a significant improvement from a cold perspective than the previous four winters; but last winter which was again another mild one overall proved the question as to what does it take to get something decent for cold to the UK?  Albeit the QBO was more westerly last winter than it has been so far this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
    43 minutes ago, Don said:

Book a holiday to Canada for your snow this winter, otherwise you might be waiting until December.....

bloody 'ell, December, that's optimistic in Thomas Mitchell Willis