Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
42 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Rubbish forecast,the signs are for a colder than average winter,not mild.

Which professional meteorological organisations are saying that, Mr. Sleety?

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Which professional meteorological organisations are saying that, Mr. Sleety?

i’m saying it so case closed,ok

Post your forecast ,please

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

i’m saying it so case closed,ok

Post your forecast ,please

In that case, I'll go for three-months' continuous thundersnow!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
14 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Anyway can every member do their forecast for a laugh,then we can see who got it most correct at the end of the Winter!

December.A cold start then turning less cold  with winds turning Westerly and becoming windy again and wet.Most snow will be on the higher mountains in Scotland.

Much colder again mid-month,with Northerly Winds,then,a slight milder period,before very cold weather arrives from the NE just after Xmas

Rainfall above average

Temps below average 1.9c CET

January.

A bitterly cold start with snow in many places.

Then becoming less cold but dryer as high pressure sits over U.k. after the first week.

The High then slips SE and we get a spell of very mild  SW winds for the middle of the month,with temps above average,but very wet in W scotland.

Winds turn more westerly and a Zonal flow takes control last month with plenty of wind and rain.

Rainfall above average 

Temps above average 5.2 c

February  The Zonal weather continues for the first few days,then much colder Northerly winds develop ,which turn to the East as the 2 nd week begins.

The next two weeks are dominated by easterly winds with heavy snow in places and very cold weather,before the weather becomes dryer and less cold but still frosts around.

Rainfall below average.

Temps  well below average 0.3 c

Fantastic sleety, that's the best winter forecast I've heard in years, keep em coming. Oh and I'm pretty sure Brian Gaze is a qualified forecaster, I've heard him mention it before. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
17 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

CFSR_1_2009120212_1.pngERA_2_2009120212_1.png

Ha, yes, it's not a bad pattern match. I'd say the trop polar vortex was more distressed then, but still.

Posted
49 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Rubbish forecast,the signs are for a colder than average winter,not mild.

Dont forget the guy that runs that website is just the same as us  lot here,a weather enthusiast,he has no weather training background  has never been involved in the METO or anything,lol

I don't know what his qualifications are but in fairness Brian Gaze is very knowledgeable. He's also a bit of a cold ramper so I think it's a testament to his professionalism that he's gone with a milder forecast.

I agree with a lot of it except that Feb could turn out to be colder as the qbo should be switching more negative by then which should allow some of the colder background signals to prevail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
28 minutes ago, Jack Wales said:

I don't know what his qualifications are but in fairness Brian Gaze is very knowledgeable. He's also a bit of a cold ramper so I think it's a testament to his professionalism that he's gone with a milder forecast.

I agree with a lot of it except that Feb could turn out to be colder as the qbo should be switching more negative by then which should allow some of the colder background signals to prevail.

He can be as knowledgable as they come but I have yet to see a long range forcast that was anywhere near accurate,most can go into the 'Best British Jokes' book!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
43 minutes ago, Jack Wales said:

I think you mean it's moving towards an easterly phase"qbo"

Edited by swfc
In

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
56 minutes ago, Jack Wales said:

Think you mean qbo moving to an easterly phase

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Snow 33 said:

When is net weather going to issue there winter forecast

When winter is over 

BFTP

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Have to admit although I have contributed to that site for years, I have never understood why the media so often quote him if a weather event is about to or is happening.

^^

This, just this !!!

Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Wales said:

Cold ramper?? 

I used to post on that site - seems not many do anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office have issued a level 2 alert for severe cold weather between Tuesday & Thursday. The alert covers East of England and south east England

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 09:10 on Mon 2 Dec 2019

There is a 60% probability of severe cold weather between 0600 on Tuesday 03 Dec and 0900 on Thursday 05 Dec in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

End of the alert Level 2 (back to Level 1) for NE England, NW England, York & Humber, West Midlands and East Midlands. Some less cold conditions will then move across the whole country on Thursday afternoon, with rain and strong winds spreading eastwards overnight.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/?tab=coldWeatherAlert&season=normal#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Out of interest Glacier Point is forecasting an avg winter temp wise overall, With any well below temps likely back end of Jan into Feb due to a stratt displacement. I will post the link later when I'm home as its on my other phone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Stewart (Glacier Point) updated his blog a few weeks back it's a long and detailed read

A short summary from the end of it is below

Across much of Europe the winter is expected to be unsettled with a continuation of above normal rainfall for the UK and Northern France.

Temperatures will be broadly slightly above average overall, but probably colder than normal across Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. December likely to feel cold and raw across much of North-west Europe, with the threat of extensive colder than normal weather likely to be focused in February.

His full thoughts are on his blog 

https://centaureaweather.com/weather-news/solving-the-winter-conundrum/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I've just had a long telephone conversation with an acquaintance of mine, S.E. Meteorologist, Ian Currie.

Like many parts of the Country, Mr.Currie has just experienced a very wet November at his home in Storrington, West Sussex.

Ian is expecting a mobile Westerly flow, to become established again after the current respite from the recent very unsettled Weather.

As some Forecast Models have been suggesting recently, he expects a Northerly and much colder Weather around mid-Month with some Snow. He expects this to be fairly transitory though, with milder and unsettled Weather to be back in charge again, for the Festive Season. He expects January to continue on a mild and unsettled theme.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: 

• Like 3

Posted

Well 2nd Dec and no net weather forecast ?

Stuart pampling and Steve murr and Matt Hugo have done it before,why don't they do them any more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

I went for a wet and mild winter back in October.

err aye, think that's very accurate

Posted
18 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

At least cornwall hits the jackpot! About time we see a decent snow event down here ;)

A Incredible GFS 12z run though if only it could happen...hopefully it could be a start of a trend? 

Way to go, Sydney! image.thumb.png.140456c2066a369b884b521967f8b1d2.png

• Like 8