Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all Yesterday was one of my favourite Meteorological Winter days of all time - no snowfall but -4c to start the day with a lovely sunrise, frost stayed on the ground at sea level all day,

One of the cold persuasion waiting for snow

You could apply that to gale lovers, why would you want a potentially destructive storm causing death, damage, disruption? You could apply that to thunderstorm lovers, why would you want a severe

Posted Images

It's mid February.

It's pouring with rain outside.

The temperature is around 13-14c at half past ten at night, dew points are up in double digits.

Tonight is just awful. About as far away from a crisp winter's night that we can get.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Gord said:

Tonight is just awful. About as far away from a crisp winter's night that we can get.

Erm, yep!

Does it bear thinking about what a wet summer would mean for us in terms of flooding etc?!

Heavy convective rains on already saturated ground..

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Does it bear thinking about what a wet summer would mean for us in terms of flooding etc?!

Heavy convective rains on already saturated ground..

Very good point.  Although last winter was mild, it was also dry.  If this coming summer is wet, I imagine we could see flooding issues comparable to 2007 or worse?

Just now, Don said:

Very good point.  Although last winter was mild, it was also dry.  If this coming summer is wet, I imagine we could see flooding issues comparable to 2007 or worse?

I would think so, yes. 

If a 2007 event happens, a lot of places are in serious trouble. Especially in places that copped a lot of rain last summer (midlands etc) and have seen a lot of rain fall recently. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

Point of order NetWeather.

I see that you are showing a max gust on the summit of the Cairngorms at 10.00am this morning of 93 mph. The Met Office device at the summit shows nothing of the sort at 10.00am. Their device shows a max gust of 64.3 knots, which is 73.99 mph. 

logo-global.png
WOW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The UK Met Office Weather Observation Website (WOW). WOW allows anyone to submit their own weather data, anywhere in the world.

You might want to have another look..

1677822995_2020-02-15(2).thumb.png.342f539f65d81015a0c23df775438066.png

93mph.

2 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

I did. see my repost. How do you delete a post Le Pantz?

There's no delete function. However, you should have the option to hide your own post. ?

• Like 1
On 13/02/2020 at 20:17, Zak M said:

I have said to a lot of people that they shouldn't give up on winter if they don't receive snow next week. But, to be honest, I don't think that I'll get any snow this winter.

If that isn't strange enough, is it strange that I haven't even witnessed sleet here?

I think the issue we’ve had all winter is that Polar Vortex has been way too strong so therefore it’s near impossible to get prolonged cold spells. Really is a disappointment though, I think the last completely snowless winter for me at least was 2013-14 with all the storms bringing in mild air, similar to recently. Just want to hope that some day that polar vortex will break down and there will be such negative AO that we get a repeat of winter 2009/2010. That’s what I need

• Like 4

Ummm february records after just seeing TM post his wettest february day since 1977.

I had to check so 2002 gave the previous wettest feb 24hr period.

We`ve beaten that twice in 1 month after last weeks major storm of 1inch and last night even higher than that alone at 30mm not including yesterday`s rain which not so much.

Severn valley is a massive lake.

Edited by Snowyowl9
20 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Last week's record didn't last long, did it?!  Not good.  How many times have I said that this winter?!

• Like 2

I hope we don’t end up with a summer with days and weeks of the current weather. That would be depressing in every sense of the word. If that does happen, 2020/21 would probably be much colder. Like I said before though, I would rather have a warm sunny summer, if it means sacrificing the cold and snow, and having another mild winter. 

Massive rainfall here over the last two days, pushing us up to nearly twice the average rainfall already. The month of February will be the wettest on record here - I have rain almost every day in my forecast (BBC) often for whole days at a time.

Edited by Thundershine
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Days with falling snow here since february 10th = 4 days.

Days with falling snow here since February 1st 2019 = 0.

?

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

32.8mm of rain in the last 24 hours here, taking us to 82.8mm for February - 197% of the 1981-2010 average for the whole month and its only the 16th.

Its already the wettest I've ever recorded and locally its already the wettest since 1977.

Been for a walk today and the ground locally is so saturated ..

We really do need an extended dry spell, fingers crossed it comes during spring/summer.

Personally i find March/April the most unappealing time of the year, kind of no mans land really,by May i look forward to warmer weather for walking and fishing, which extends to sept some years.Then all eyes Oct onwards for the upcoming winter.

I will in all fairness sacrifice summer to get a decent winter next time round, but thats just my preference.

One other thing i look for (and never seems to happen these days) is a cold anticyclone in November.

• Like 3

Really hoping for an exceptionally dry spell this Spring/Summer. Don't care about the temperatures, just want it to be dry for a while. Ever since the torrential rains of late July/August last year it has just been damp all the time.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Storm Dennis bringing record breaking February heat to France

At least Dennis didn't bring exceptional warmth to these shores!

• Like 1

I'm struggling to think of words to adequately describe this "winter". February so far in Bratislava has easily been the worst month of the season - and winter had already been dire before it started. Mean maximum so far for February is a ridiculous 9.8C and we haven't had a single day below 5C, which is simply dreadful for this part of Europe. Worse still, there's no end in sight. In previous winters when there was mild weather there was at least light at the end of the tunnel on the 10-day forecasts; now there's nothing, and I can't remember the last time there was cold showing even in FI. To say that this is appalling is a big understatement. This is my fourth winter in Slovakia and it's by far and away the worst of the bunch. Even the hills can't save me this time.

I don't usually do this but I'm throwing in the towel. Just get this abomination of a "winter" out of the way and bring on the hot Bratislavan summer.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

I'm struggling to think of words to adequately describe this "winter". February so far in Bratislava has easily been the worst month of the season - and winter had already been dire before it started. Mean maximum so far for February is a ridiculous 9.8C and we haven't had a single day below 5C, which is simply dreadful for this part of Europe. Worse still, there's no end in sight. In previous winters when there was mild weather there was at least light at the end of the tunnel on the 10-day forecasts; now there's nothing, and I can't remember the last time there was cold showing even in FI. To say that this is appalling is a big understatement. This is my fourth winter in Slovakia and it's by far and away the worst of the bunch. Even the hills can't save me this time.

I don't usually do this but I'm throwing in the towel. Just get this abomination of a "winter" out of the way and bring on the hot Bratislavan summer.

Same here in Prague. I’ve seen snow briefly falling twice all winter but nothing settling. That’s it. A few frosts here and there but temperatures have generally been very mild. Been a very strange winter, for sure. Could do with some of the rain that’s been lashing the UK non-stop, if there’s another hot and dry summer here, there’ll be big issues.