Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

4 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Coldest night back here than we`ve had all this winter at -4c yes cold NWlys april 1990.

Rrea00119900404.gif

I remember that. Woke up to a snow cover here that morning. Also remember seeing overnight news footage of  the prisoners on the roof of Strangeways and it was snowing.

Edited by Weather-history

February is turning into a very wet month here, already 20% above the entire month's normal average, add that to the record wet October and November. I am not impressed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thundershine said:

February is turning into a very wet month here, already 20% above the entire month's normal average, add that to the record wet October and November. I am not impressed.

I had to check here, we're on 46mm and Feb average is only 55mm so will easily pass that this weekend.
Next week looks drier though so unlikely to be particularly remarkable.
January meanwhile was well below half normal here.

9 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I always think back to that wonderful hot spell in April 2003 - 27c on the 16th/17th. By mid April you can really get some warm spells, even better for some as they are minus the July intensity!

Add 2011, 1984, 1987, 1997, 2007 to that list, or even 2015, 2017 and 2019.

The first warm spells can and usually can happen in April, although not hot. 2011 and 2003 did actually feel very warm for a few days.

45 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Hi guys. As you brace yourselves for Storm Dennis. I am on the northern side of the Storm System in Reykjavik where we have a red alert for friday from the Icelandic met office for sustained winds of 68mph and gust in excess of this. The upside is that it will be accompanied by sleet and snow. 

What you see when you open the front door on Saturday morning:

snow.png

• Like 8

I have said to a lot of people that they shouldn't give up on winter if they don't receive snow next week. But, to be honest, I don't think that I'll get any snow this winter.

If that isn't strange enough, is it strange that I haven't even witnessed sleet here?

• Like 1

Only had two very light coatings of snow this Winter - both of which melted after about 2 hours. At least in 2013-14 the only covering we had all Winter one evening in the February lasted until the next morning. So for me this Winter has been the worst I can recall around these parts. Still a couple of weeks to salvage something a bit better but even it did this would still rank as one of the poorest. Both in terms of snow & frost. After a chilly & promising end to Autumn things quickly turned sour into Winter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Only had two very light coatings of snow this Winter - both of which melted after about 2 hours. At least in 2013-14 the only covering we had all Winter one evening in the February lasted until the next morning. So for me this Winter has been the worst I can recall around these parts. Still a couple of weeks to salvage something a bit better but even it did this would still rank as one of the poorest. Both in terms of snow & frost. After a chilly & promising end to Autumn things quickly turned sour into Winter.

How strange, as the autumn did feel cold, things just switched in early December to mild muck. 

That said, there’s been quite a few chilly sunny days in my location, but nothing long lasting. 

• Like 2

Two stormy weekends in a row - yuck. This "winter" is really dragging on now isn't it? Please can it end. I don't want snow anymore. Just sun, blue skies and a bit of warmth! ?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Two stormy weekends in a row - yuck. This "winter" is really dragging on now isn't it? Please can it end. I don't want snow anymore. Just sun, blue skies and a bit of warmth! ?

although Its been a pretty average kind of winter here... im the same..tired now of driving home through snow rutted roads and black ice, i just want spring to start so bad now..trouble is the clocks go forward here in 2 weeks and it feels like your are thrown back into the depths of winter for a few extra weeks 

• Like 1

Wettest month so far this winter is december at 100mm january was actually some sort of restbite after the record wet autumn.

This month already half of december`s rainfall.

only saving grace after Dennis the mennace has his day the AO looks to be dropping like a stone from the 20th. how far it drops will determine if there is one last chance of colder weather for the end of the month. but still it doesn't look like it will go negative either the AO or the NAO 

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

38 minutes ago, igloo said:

only saving grace after Dennis the mennace has his day the AO looks to be dropping like a stone from the 20th. how far it drops will determine if there is one last chance of colder weather for the end of the month. but still it doesn't look like it will go negative either the AO or the NAO 

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

I seem to remember late 2017 there was similar stormy weather and ex hurricanes such as Ophelia,David and Brian which after seemed to me bring about a blocking pattern which would then persist right through 2018 and into 2019

Maybe its me but January didn't feel warm, very mild at times yes.

Don't remember people commenting on how warm it was, and didn't see anyone in flip flops or a sun hat or suffering from heat stroke/sunburn..:crazy:

2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Maybe its me but January didn't feel warm, very mild at times yes.

Don't remember people commenting on how warm it was, and didn't see anyone in flip flops or a sun hat or suffering from heat stroke/sunburn..:crazy:

It’s been mild at times, but the winter has produced some cold days. Not freezing, but cold nevertheless.

Its been a mild winter, but, I’ve still had to wear a hat and gloves from time to time, and I live in London.

Its been disappointing for lack of snow, but I’m now looking forward to warmer weather  and longer days. Still another month or so, before we see a real improvement. 

6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s been mild at times, but the winter has produced some cold days. Not freezing, but cold nevertheless.

Its been a mild winter, but, I’ve still had to wear a hat and gloves from time to time, and I live in London.

Its been disappointing for lack of snow, but I’m now looking forward to warmer weather  and longer days. Still another month or so, before we see a real improvement. 

Sorry to disagree with you but here to the east of London (Essex)...i haven't recorded one solitary day with a max below 5c which is poor by ANY winter's standards (and I've been recording winters since 1983/84), we might have had the the odd chilly feeling day due to the wind of late but to say we've experience some cold days this winter is incorrect and misleading and take in respect average temperatures here in the south east generally from mid-December to Mid-February largely have maxes of 7c and what days we have had below this have come in the blander dull calm days.

I think the majority of people wear gloves and scarves in winter particularly if it is windy or people of a certain age, I have but now I'm 50 I feel the 'cold' a little more.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

I shouldn't have looked at the tweets to that, the amount of thick-headed people on there is unbelievable and causes me unnecessary annoyance and brain damage.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

When you look at the chart above, the most unusual warmth was over western Russia and eastern Europe, just to the east of the UK.  It just shows that the strong PV to the north which resulted in a very mild month for us in the UK, has pushed warm SW winds right across Europe and into Russia.  Alaska and NW Canada looks to have had a notably cold month, so the warmest January on record globally at least did not preclude cold in small parts of the world such as Alaska and NW Canada.  I am of no knowledge on this, but does a cold anomaly in Alaska often mean the UK is left on the mild side?

1 hour ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I am of no knowledge on this, but does a cold anomaly in Alaska often mean the UK is left on the mild side?

I believe Alaska had a cold winter 1988/89 when the UK was obviously very mild.  However, whether there is a link or it's just a coincidence, I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sorry to disagree with you but here to the east of London (Essex)...i haven't recorded one solitary day with a max below 5c which is poor by ANY winter's standards (and I've been recording winters since 1983/84), we might have had the the odd chilly feeling day due to the wind of late but to say we've experience some cold days this winter is incorrect and misleading and take in respect average temperatures here in the south east generally from mid-December to Mid-February largely have maxes of 7c and what days we have had below this have come in the blander dull calm days.

I think the majority of people wear gloves and scarves in winter particularly if it is windy or people of a certain age, I have but now I'm 50 I feel the 'cold' a little more.

Agreed. 

Any "cold" days in the SE have only felt "cold" because there have been so many mild days. In reality, there were no cold days (highs 2-3 or below) here this winter, which is v. unusual. 

• Like 2

Good evening peeps, what a really poor poor winter... it's been so far!! A lot of peeps on here keep banging on about how mild it's been?? Well bar a spell around Christmas it's been cold ( even very cold ) around these parts since November... granted not freezing or snow ( only a couple of days, which didn't last more than few hours ) but mild no... I can take whatever weather puts in front of us, I drive a forklift at work and spend about 30% of day outside in only a t-shirt and a hi-vis but the other drivers, are wrapped up like teddy bears!! Like it was a minus, proper winter... but it as been cold, none the less.

Some southern parts, say Staffordshire South, might be mild from time to time... but not here. But not unlike a lot of winter's around these parts, even green ( not white ) or on the cold side ( no snow )... but I think it's just patterns and cycles ( nothing else )

As for the rest of winter, into spring... I think another cold spring could be on the cards, like a lot of springs over the last 4 or 5 years... but the weather will do whatever it wants... so time will tell.

Just wanted to get that off mi chest, lol... enjoy whatever takes ya fancy ☺

That holy grail of winter's, could be just around the corner ?

6 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Different people feel the cold in the different ways. Anything south of 16c is chilly for me, and anything south of 8c is cold, while 5c and below is very cold.

Even damp mild days can feel cold, because of the cloud, wind and moisture in the atmosphere. Like I said, it affects people differently. 

I can’t wait until we start getting 20c plus days, with sunshine. 

• Like 2

looking at the radar   i think wales are in for a lot of problems  over  night not looking nice at all

• Like 1