Jump to content

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I really have no desire to have a return of 1985-88 or 2009-13 with poorer summers.

I have.  We have a had a string of crap winters (2017/18 excepted) and the summers since 2013 haven't been bad with 2018 the hottest since 1976.  In view of the warming climate, hot summers are likely more and more in abundance, whereas cold winters will be rarer than rocking horse poop!  Therefore, if we have a period of cool/wet summers during the next few years, I won't complain as long as we get some cold/snowy winters.  Each to their own of course. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all Yesterday was one of my favourite Meteorological Winter days of all time - no snowfall but -4c to start the day with a lovely sunrise, frost stayed on the ground at sea level all day,

One of the cold persuasion waiting for snow

You could apply that to gale lovers, why would you want a potentially destructive storm causing death, damage, disruption? You could apply that to thunderstorm lovers, why would you want a severe

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Don said:

I have.  We have a had a string of crap winters (2017/18 excepted) and the summers since 2013 haven't been bad with 2018 the hottest since 1976.  In view of the warming climate, hot summers are likely more and more in abundance, whereas cold winters will be rarer than rocking horse poop!  Therefore, if we have a period of cool/wet summers during the next few years, I won't complain as long as we get some cold/snowy winters.  Each to their own of course. 

That may be the case in Wiltshire but here in the Pennines your 'Hav'nt been that bad' summers  have been to describe in Yorkshire dialect as 'dung'.Those in the south have no idea what a poor summer is!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may be the case in Wiltshire but here in the Pennines your 'Hav'nt been that bad' summers  have been to describe in Yorkshire dialect as 'dung'.Those in the south have no idea what a poor summer is!

They were pretty poor between 1985 and 1988 and not great between 2007 and 2012 either.  Of course the south will on average do better than the north and that will always be the way.  However, on the flip side, I could say those in the north have no idea what a poor winter is if cold and snow is your thing!  I know this year has been crap for most of the country, but northern areas normally experience snow, even during the mildest winters, which isn't the case for the south!

Edited by Don
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don said:

Didn't last long and wasn't long before Billy Bartlett reared his ugly head for the remainder of winter!

Yes it was a shocker of a winter the baseline still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Yes it was a shocker of a winter the baseline still.

Indeed it was!  However, I did see some very fleeting snow fall late in February, so there is the potential it could beat this year from that perspective.

Edited by Don
Link to post
Share on other sites

What made up for that winter was the november cold NWly then we had the cold easterly in april,but I expect most people then don`t want cold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

What made up for that winter was the november cold NWly then we had the cold easterly in april,but I expect most people then don`t want cold.

I did, April 5th 1989 saw the first lying snow IMBY since January 1987!  Had to wait until February 1991 to see the next lying snow. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Yes NWS you deserve a bit of the white stuff mate, I know you've been tearing your hair out this Winter waiting for something to happen! Perhaps a little payback is the order of the day over the next few days.. Those GFS snow charts do look tempting now and for once it's all within the next 48 hours! I'm expecting a few surprises to crop up here at short notice also. I'm also go na be brave and make a call of a few locations being hit pretty hard! Could be some fun and games very shortly... Ohh and mind the wind folks, it's enough to blow ya wig clean off.. ?

06_54_preciptype (1).png

 

 

Haven't we all Matt?!  Anyway, this chart doesn't look so bad for IMBY, but after the winter so far, it won't take much to get me excited!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don said:

Haven't we all Matt?!  Anyway, this chart doesn't look so bad for IMBY, but after the winter so far, it won't take much to get me excited!

Duely noted Don, luckily i have no hair ?, I'm noticing a mass of weather warnings in force for a wide range of areas from tomorrow afternoon onwards. Wouldn't be surprised to see snow cropping up in numerous places now, obviously the higher the better, but not conclusively. Lamposts at the ready. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

Duely noted Don, luckily i have no hair ?, I'm noticing a mass of weather warnings in force for a wide range of areas from tomorrow afternoon onwards. Wouldn't be surprised to see snow cropping up in numerous places now, obviously the higher the better, but not conclusively. Lamposts at the ready. 

Lol!  I don't think I will see any snow this week but like you say, you never know in these marginal situations.  I'm 420 feet above sea level, but I'm probably too far south.  What I do think is this week will be my last chance to see any white stuff this winter and possibly spring, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Boxing day 2015 gave the worst floods here since 1946,today has just matched that event,Whats going on?

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, reef said:

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

Notable shift from the pv locating itself over canada is a huge aid I would have thought

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Don said:

I have.  We have a had a string of crap winters (2017/18 excepted) and the summers since 2013 haven't been bad with 2018 the hottest since 1976.  In view of the warming climate, hot summers are likely more and more in abundance, whereas cold winters will be rarer than rocking horse poop!  Therefore, if we have a period of cool/wet summers during the next few years, I won't complain as long as we get some cold/snowy winters.  Each to their own of course. 

No thanks, I’m not willing to sacrifice a few summers for the sake of a return to a 1987,82, 2008-2012 winters.

A cool dull summer would be utterly depressing, but I have a bad feeling this will be the year we get one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hillbilly said:

That may be the case in Wiltshire but here in the Pennines your 'Hav'nt been that bad' summers  have been to describe in Yorkshire dialect as 'dung'.Those in the south have no idea what a poor summer is!

Only 2013, 14 and 2018 have been decent across a wider area. 2015,16 and 17 were awful. And while London had warm sunny spells in all three and 2017 and 16 had some very hot weather, it was confined to just a few weeks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there we have it. The last week of winter and nothing changes according to the latest GFS Ens mean. A thoroughly crap winter for most of Euroland for cold lovers anyway. Even at 1500m above sea level in the Eastern Alps, although snow covered , hardly called this winter cold.

C

gh500_20200209_12_384.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reef said:

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

Rubbish. We have always had turbulent weather. 
 

I might head down to that extinction rebellion gathering in May and tell them why they are wasting their time. 
 

Its selfish behaviour, while others like myself need to get to work. And it’s also short sighted that we as humans feel we are the main cause for a shifting climate. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reef said:

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

We are told the arctic is warming faster than the tropics

This should reduce the temperature differential and thus weaken the jet stream....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

No thanks, I’m not willing to sacrifice a few summers for the sake of a return to a 1987,82, 2008-2012 winters.

A cool dull summer would be utterly depressing, but I have a bad feeling this will be the year we get one.

Each to their own and fair enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Only 2013, 14 and 2018 have been decent across a wider area. 2015,16 and 17 were awful. And while London had warm sunny spells in all three and 2017 and 16 had some very hot weather, it was confined to just a few weeks. 

They were still better than the likes of 2007/08 and 2011/12.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2015-17 really weren’t awful at all. Far from it. They had their ups and downs but brought a mix of everything.

In 2015, here at least, most of June, the first 10 days of July and first half of August were generally good.

In 2016, the first 10 days of June, second half of July, and most of August were good.  I’d rate August 2016 as the best of the decade for here, followed by 2013 and 2018.

2017 was really a case of collapsing in instalments but had a lot of fine weather in June and July. August was probably the biggest disappointment and more like September down here.

They all pale in comparison to the 2007-2012 period.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As somebody who is generally not a fan of must summer heat (2013 was a non-humid heat though) I’d be perfectly happy to sacrifice summer for winter. Right now it’s hard to say what the background drivers will favour though.

This has been a poor winter though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, typically the sleet/snow has disappeared from the Metoffice forecast Monday into Tuesday for my town! ?

Link to post
Share on other sites


I’m calling this ‘winter’ over. And what a sorry joke it’s been.

Rating (out of 10) ZERO

No snow...few frosts..,too much rain resulting in tediously repetitive waterlogging/surface water flooding episodes (I’ve lost count how many times since November) Afraid Atlantic storms don’t do it for me, damaging winds and a sharp rise in flood warnings was the result, so nope..not for me...so it’s a big fat zero and roll on Spring.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...