Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

not always the case at all trust me I am as desperate for snow as anyone (we dont all live on high ground up here 😜), here is my total snowfall for the WHOLE of last winter DSC_0130.thumb.JPG.1e8e2a4f888e778a7007aed987a106e3.JPG DSC_0132.thumb.JPG.71a1d1157ec9d3b53242d7f47db2368c.JPG I know that areas further south got more snow than here last winter and some areas didn't get any at all. It was one of the worst I can remember for lack of snow here so that is the first thing on my winter wishlist to get more than that this winter which possibly with some luck next week I might have a chance 🤞

Yep and this was Birmingham last years big fall..20190123_084838.thumb.jpg.9ac40d8cd86df3d2a0bf7f1172c12dbc.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Oi 😁 I was that excited at the time as I really thought it was going to be a snowless winter I tried to get as many pics as possible 🤣 DSC_0058.thumb.JPG.a9e674fc874550ebbccff0624469a70c.JPG DSC_0086.thumb.JPG.ad19147f3bf09415392946bd8c3c4a8b.JPGDSC_0095.thumb.JPG.6472b463a135e7491b3ed344e971d088.JPG those are snowflakes trust me :oldlaugh:

 

it was that sneaky little front 20190201.1849.PPVA89.png Anyway sorry mods just had to prove that is was most definitely snow :oldrofl:

Lol that is terrible think I’d rather have this boring c**p of late, anyway back to the models we go and getting ready for the mother of upgrades on yet another gfs run and I can’t blooming wait 🤢

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Oh dear thought I'd take a quick peek in this thread, and won't be looking at it again - full of winter  over posts... on 5 December, its the same every year.. ' perhaps we should separate it out , a thread for moans and a thread for ramps.

Come back in a months time to see if anything's changed..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Yep and this was Birmingham last years big fall..20190123_084838.thumb.jpg.9ac40d8cd86df3d2a0bf7f1172c12dbc.jpg

Last winters snowfall in Bath, in the south, 50 metres asl. 

image.thumb.png.f9542a27d95718a604ac9be44124fd86.png

🌨️🤣

sorry for being smug, but I hope we all get this this winter!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the best I managed to get last winter . Feb 1st to be exact. Dire

20190201_090808.jpg

20190201_170359.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of photos of Ludgershall snow taken on 2nd February.

E19FE006-72E8-49CE-9758-57E30A4B13CA.jpeg

9EB3C800-4C51-4F49-A483-13063083F871.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep! some parts of southern central England (the mystical area which largely misses out in cold weather) got lucky late last January from basically a rather underwhelming month and conditions being just the right side of marginal on an occlusion to bring a reasonable amount of wet snow (nice pics by the way). A lot of the country had nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gang ,think my post along with others was removed  because of being off topic ,But where did it go ,a mystery like 10 days time in chart watching ,any one seen it ,cheers .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes 2018/9 was a poor winter all round. My home area in the Central Highlands had 15 days with snow lying at 9AM which is the lowest since the nearest Met O reporting station began records over 60 years ago. The max depth was 15 cms in a fairly localised snowfall. Only 2005/6 has had a similar number of snow days though the deepest was greater  at 27cms on 12th March. Indeed most of the snow came in March that Winter.

Here near the coast we had a few days with snow falling but nothing over 1cm lying.
Hoping for something better this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, legritter said:

Hi gang ,think my post along with others was removed  because of being off topic ,But where did it go ,a mystery like 10 days time in chart watching ,any one seen it ,cheers .

Should have come here from the model thread I think. Will see if I can find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here it is thoughI lost the format. Sorry.


legritter

Members

 4,513

1,705 posts

Gender: Male

Location: winscombe north somerset

Feb 1st 2019 ,7.30 am ish .then another 10cms at 9am till mid day .got about 2 hours sleep that night .as for tonights models, good to see some interesting synoptics ,and things could be very newsworthy next week weather wise, but only at this stage looking ahead 144 hrs ,beyond that we have things kicking off with the polar vortex becoming angry looking ,and some seriously cold temp plunging south across the pond .interesting times ahead gang ,lets shift this grimey grey weather ,Stellas on me  cheers .

 

image.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Here it is thoughI lost the format. Sorry.


legritter

Members

 4,513

1,705 posts

Gender: Male

Location: winscombe north somerset

Feb 1st 2019 ,7.30 am ish .then another 10cms at 9am till mid day .got about 2 hours sleep that night .as for tonights models, good to see some interesting synoptics ,and things could be very newsworthy next week weather wise, but only at this stage looking ahead 144 hrs ,beyond that we have things kicking off with the polar vortex becoming angry looking ,and some seriously cold temp plunging south across the pond .interesting times ahead gang ,lets shift this grimey grey weather ,Stellas on me  cheers .

 

image.jpeg

Thanks for finding it cheers .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the best I got last winter (about 10cm plus) on Feb 2 up at blue bell hill (North Kent) - the worst was 500ft above though settling snow got down to about 200ft.

It was also the only time it snowed and settled last winter round here (I think)

snow1.jpg

snow2.JPG

snow3.JPG

snow4.JPG

snow5.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Oh dear thought I'd take a quick peek in this thread, and won't be looking at it again - full of winter  over posts... on 5 December, its the same every year.. ' perhaps we should separate it out , a thread for moans and a thread for ramps.

Oh so true damian! It's the same in summer too.... Summer will be over come mid June, if it starts bad! A very sensible post from weather trendings Jon hammond today.... Snow lovers relax, don't hang onto each and every model run... Try not to stress, in his opinion, the LRF will change alot over the coming weeks, so it's not worth getting stressed over what there current prognosis is. I for one will be in the fighting for winter to land camp all season.. No stress, no dramas.. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrendous 00z runs.

Meto raw has rain virtually every sinlge day here for the next 10..

Garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Oh so true damian! It's the same in summer too.... Summer will be over come mid June, if it starts bad! A very sensible post from weather trendings Jon hammond today.... Snow lovers relax, don't hang onto each and every model run... Try not to stress, in his opinion, the LRF will change alot over the coming weeks, so it's not worth getting stressed over what there current prognosis is. I for one will be in the fighting for winter to land camp all season.. No stress, no dramas.. 

What's that Rudyard Kipling 'If'....says to meet treat triumph and disaster just the same. Which brings me to this week's model viewing. Monday was pretty much widespread euphoria with some stating the UKMO would soon 'come onboard' alongside the GFS and ECM. The next day?....many were reaching for the Prozac.

Have learnt the hard way on here to take each model run with a pinch of salt and to not get too excited nor too despondent. Unless the models are all more or less in agreement 96 hours or so (even then it has gone tits up) then keep grounded. 

Anyway, just simply can't get my head around why some are hanging on the word of one or two (respected) posters who haven't given a favourable outlook for cold. No one knows for certain how the weather is going to pan out and there's still around 13 weeks worth of winter left to go. Plenty of time for us all to hopefully see some cold, snow, ice, and frosts. 

Edited by Jason74
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jason74 said:

Anyway, just simply can't get my head around why some are hanging on the word of one or two (respected) posters who haven't given a favourable outlook for cold. No one knows for certain how the weather is going to pan out and there's still around 13 weeks worth of winter left to go. Plenty of time for us all to hopefully see some cold, snow, ice, and frosts. 

True. But, then the same can be said for hanging on the every word of respected posters who keep saying it's going to snow...come what may...?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

True. But, then the same can be said for hanging on the every word of respected posters who keep saying it's going to snow...come what may...?

Well, like I say, don't get too hung up either way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Horrendous 00z runs.

Meto raw has rain virtually every sinlge day here for the next 10..

Garbage.

It doesn't go out to 10 days - UKMO goes to 168.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It doesn't go out to 10 days - UKMO goes to 168.

Sorry should have said BBC raw, which i believe reflects Mogreps ...

Either way, unsettled and mainly cool with higher ground in the north occasionally wintry.

How much colder air can we get to dig south?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Sorry should have said BBC raw, which i believe reflects Mogreps ...

Either way, unsettled and mainly cool with higher ground in the north occasionally wintry.

How much colder air can we get to dig south?

ECM to (not sure what day) then EPS mean or 'best' data for last part of run (i think) - cannot for the life of me see the Met Office letting the BBC use their raw data after they ditched them.

EDIT : GFS looks very decent for us but cannot see that ruler like NW verifying like that - mild sectors will throw the colder air further North.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Sorry should have said BBC raw, which i believe reflects Mogreps ...

Either way, unsettled and mainly cool with higher ground in the north occasionally wintry.

How much colder air can we get to dig south?

 

BBC switched from the MetOff to Meteogroup some time ago. I don't know what models they use, but it's unlikely to be MOGREPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exciting weather finally.   Ok not the white stuff but still     Better than mundane rubbish   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty mundane today. Preferred the frost and sunshine of earlier this week...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...