Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I know it is hard to believe but some places in the UK may have seen more snow than Helsinki the last two months and indeed the entire winter!

Says it all.  Not only about the UK winter but the whole of Europe and Scandinavia, too.

Edited by Don

Posted

Yes, Latvia has their first winter without any snow cover. Even 2018-19 had a good dumping of snow, and winter 2015-16 was quite snowy after Christmas into new year. 

2020/21 will definitely see a return of very cold snowy weather me thinks. 

For now, I’m looking forward to warmer weather and longer days. From late March until late September is my favourite time of year. 

Posted

I won’t be saying goodbye to winter until May as let’s be honest we all know that cold muck bottled up to the north will leak down over us now winter is technically over. 

As for the last 4 months though - atrocious.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I won’t be saying goodbye to winter until May as let’s be honest we all know that cold muck bottled up to the north will leak down over us now winter is technically over. 

As for the last 4 months though - atrocious.

Actually, it can be almost June in some years. 2013 was cold all the way until nearly June, 2016 had some cold days in May. 

I’m just waiting for Froze We’re The Days to come along and tell me it’s wasn’t that bad and it was sunnier and warmer than average’

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Actually, it can be almost June in some years. 2013 was cold all the way until nearly June, 2016 had some cold days in May. 

I’m just waiting for Froze We’re The Days to come along and tell me it’s wasn’t that bad and it was sunnier and warmer than average’

And April 2012 onwards of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, Latvia has their first winter without any snow cover. Even 2018-19 had a good dumping of snow, and winter 2015-16 was quite snowy after Christmas into new year. 

2020/21 will definitely see a return of very cold snowy weather me thinks. 

For now, I’m looking forward to warmer weather and longer days. From late March until late September is my favourite time of year. 

I thought that re: cold winter, at the end of last winter well surely we are due a change one year..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

dire winter, just scraped a few flakes in a shower last week, otherwise nothing. some frost last november before winter began

two harsh frost nights in January, where frost stayed in shade all day. otherwise mild, wet, windy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Two tweets that sum up the so-called winter of 2019/20 across the European continent. The first Jan/Feb period without measurable snow in Helsinki and record breaking mild DJF temperatures in Moscow:

8105525_TweetHelsinkisnowJan-Feb2020.thumb.jpg.25150942d51e0bdc926ed7867f053d6b.jpg577751249_TweetMoscowDJFtemprecord2020.thumb.jpg.9b005097310d681cac923cfddc746d3f.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
On 01/03/2020 at 06:50, Weather-history said:

Manchester Winter Indices

2013-14: 7

1988-89: 20

2006-07: 21

1974-75: 22 

1997-98: 25

1989-90: 26

1973-74: 27

2015-16: 28

2019-20: 29

Surprised it's not the worst- there can't have been many more frost-free winters than this one. There were only 4 air frosts recorded at Manchester Airport between December 1st and February 29th. The lowest temperature was -2C as well. Remarkable. Also no lying snow at all in most low-lying areas in the Manchester area all winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

They had to add new colours just to show how exceptionally wet it was..

Posted
On 02/03/2020 at 11:57, Scorcher said:

Surprised it's not the worst- there can't have been many more frost-free winters than this one. There were only 4 air frosts recorded at Manchester Airport between December 1st and February 29th. The lowest temperature was -2C as well. Remarkable. Also no lying snow at all in most low-lying areas in the Manchester area all winter.

2013-14 was worst, there were only 3 air frosts and hardly any sleet/snow reported.

I counted 6 air frosts for Manchester Airport and the lowest was -4C on the 2nd December. I actually recorded 13 air frosts at my location. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
On 04/03/2020 at 07:48, Weather-history said:

2013-14 was worst, there were only 3 air frosts and hardly any sleet/snow reported.

I counted 6 air frosts for Manchester Airport and the lowest was -4C on the 2nd December. I actually recorded 13 air frosts at my location. 

Just had a recount and yes there were in fact 6 within the winter period. I hadn't realised 2013-14 was quite that frostless. There can't have been many worse than this winter for air frosts though. That said, there were a few in November and we've also had a few already in March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Didn't record one single air frost here on the Essex coast, the 1st time that has happened since I've been recording from 1983/84. Dismal winter and it's a toss up between this and 2013/14 what is worse!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
4 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Didn't record one single air frost here on the Essex coast, the 1st time that has happened since I've been recording from 1983/84. Dismal winter and it's a toss up between this and 2013/14 what is worse!

This one was worse than 2013/14. At least then the snow managed to settle in the office park in Leatherhead temporarily!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On 04/03/2020 at 07:48, Weather-history said:

Just out of the cet zone here but 2020 at 7 Air frosts for the winter is in third worst position behind 88/89[5] and 89/90 [4]

Not looking good for the season totals though[October to May]

Joint worst 89/90 and 2006/07  with 17 air frosts

2013/14 with 18

2019/2020 so far 13