Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
1 minute ago, hillbilly said:

Hardly had any snow all winter then 2 days in a row cannot get to work as roads are gridlock with motorists skidding in the snow!

Well, that's 2 more days of snow than I'm going to get this winter!

Posted
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Looks like it will remain very wet but getting a bit colder. Joy.

As if incessant wind and rain isnt bad enough and you think it cant get worse, then it does by  turning to cold incessant wind and rain, with omnipresent leaden skies , the worst type of weather imaginable , just gross    If its going to be wet and windy it might as well stay mild . 

Cold is good when its still and frosty, leading to crisp cold sunny days , otherwise no

Please put winter to death and let spring in, my favourite season, when the trees start greening and there is a gentle warmth and blossom scent in the air.   Winters are depressing

Edited by IanR
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

An area around north Wales, northern England and  Northern Ireland have had an exceptionally wet February. A number of stations  in the area have probably broken their February rainfall records.. NW England and north Wales have been extraordinarily wet.

Unfortunatly I don't keep rainfall records but a quick look at Bingley,my nearest met office station lists 3 months in the entire 20th century that broke 200mm and only just.Since we have had June 2007 at 261mm,jan 2008 at 214mm and Nov 2009 at 215mm.

With June 2007 the wettest month recorded there at 261mm.

Just looking at Knockers link ,Bingley has recorded 289mm which is not only a February record but already the wettest month ever recorded there.

Here in the Calder valley It has certain to be wetter than at Bingley and must be nearer to 350mm,amazing.

• Like 1

Posted

So this winter is comparable to 2013/14 but this winter has overtaken it now on the snow department,still got tonight`s low then friday morning`s rain preceeded by snow.

This month is the equal wet with february 2014.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The lack of MetO warnings for tomorrow mornings ‘event’ says it all!

Warnings are in place, but i'm still not convinced it will come to much, certainly not much in the way of snow, more likely sleet and cold rain.  Its simply not going to be cold enough. 

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 15.20.04.png

Edited by Beanz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

awful stuff for a winter that never delivered

what is being hinted at the moment. Real snow only for high ground. Maybe sleet or slushy deposits lower down, that even the Met Office mention will quickly melt tomorrow morning

Then we're back to wind & rain again... for all. Bring on the Spring now. Had enough

Posted

just looking  at the radar its not looking good at all for the flooded areas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Would be nice to see a flake Fall from the sky, needs to be long fetch easterlies for that to happen here

Posted

Finally snowing here in canary wharf - very wet of course but at sea level most impressed.

Posted

We have made it here. 

A whole winter will pass without a single snowflake. An utter travesty of a winter here. 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting observations...

1014929817-snow-roamer-GEE3-1.jpg
BUFFALONEWS.COM

Leave it to me to write about this mild winter on the coldest day of the season. There is our mean warming climate involved, but I would ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Chucking it down yet again, so bored of this crap and I don’t even live here anymore lol  

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Chucking it down yet again, so bored of this crap and I don’t even live here anymore lol  

Yes it’s been a manky winter, probably the worst one since 2013/14, but probably not that mild when compared to last winter or December 2015.

It just feels like it’s been damp and cold at times, as opposed to mild overall. Just the lack of snow or dry sunny spells have been noticeable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Is it me or is British weather getting more and more boring?
I fear that by the time I eventually have children of my own, they will not be able to experience the joys of playing in the snow as we will no longer have any snow at all by that point. The way things are going, I can certainly see that happening. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I fear that by the time I eventually have children of my own, they will not be able to experience the joys of playing in the snow as we will no longer have any snow at all by that point. The way things are going, I can certainly see that happening. 

It's always been relatively boring as we live in a temperate climate zone,  but snow will increasingly become rarer as time passes for sure. 

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I joined this forum back in 2007...and one of the first posts I read on here was very similar to this. It's funny how things can turn from one winter to the next to surprise you. February 2009 was unexpected going by the previous winters. Although some of the winters over the past decade have felt more tedious than the poor winters we got during the 2000s.

As for this winter? Like most, I would have loved to have seen a proper deep Spring cold snap. But you know what? The weather over the past couple of weeks has been so attrocious for people, the amount of lives that have ruined, I would not begrudge them a warm, dry spell at all (and in all honesty, now I'm older, would probably enjoy it myself too!).

It's been a terrible end to a lousy winter...it's time to move on.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

While it does seem that way is that actually true ? Only two years ago we had widespread snow across the Uk. Plus the hot summer of 2018 hot spell last year to with the temperature record broken. This winter has being guff though for cold just rain wind and more rain and more wind never felt mild either because of the vile wind making it feel about 5 degrees colder that what it actually is. Last two days was beautiful here sunny and calm. Back to awful cold rain today at 3 degrees earlier just to rub it in cold but not cold enough for snow. Be interesting to note coldest temperature recorded this winter and how it compares to other winters ? 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

And summer is one long dull cloud fest at times. I hope we don’t have another one of those years. 

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

It's always been relatively boring as we live in a temperate climate zone,  but snow will increasingly become rarer as time passes for sure. 

That’s right, even between 1979 and 1987, some areas still had winters with little or no snow. Similar to the years of 2008-12, although snow did seem to fall almost every year during those years.

It does seem since 2013, snow events are becoming less frequent.