Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
28 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

The only consolation with the  atrocious autumn and incredible 'worse as time goes on' Winter is the fact that at least it is not summer.The last time we had any weather remotely resembling this was Winter 2015 which was followed by 3 1/2 years of relatively dry conditions and a drought,hopefully that will happen again.

Fingers crossed!

I am desperate for something settled now - doesn't even have to be warm - I just want some respite from the continuous rain and wind.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

This ‘winter’ can go do one.

Nothing can redeem it now. Nothing. I don’t give a flying fig if it snows in the next couple of days, it would never settle given that everywhere is completely saturated or flooded. It goes in the bin along with It’s ugly sister 2013/14 as the poorest winter I’ve ever known. Relentless rain and wind. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Like 7

Posted
47 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

The only consolation with the  atrocious autumn and incredible 'worse as time goes on' Winter is the fact that at least it is not summer.The last time we had any weather remotely resembling this was Winter 2015 which was followed by 3 1/2 years of relatively dry conditions and a drought,hopefully that will happen again.

I forsee a 2007 type summer. Southerly tracking jet with numerous LPs tracking across or just to the south of UK/IRL. Thunder plentiful though in very unstable airmasses. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

God! please let this 'winter' end, relentless wind, cloud, rain and mild if not very mild temperatures - pathetic.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I forsee a 2007 type summer. Southerly tracking jet with numerous LPs tracking across or just to the south of UK/IRL. Thunder plentiful though in very unstable airmasses. 

I and everyone else in flooded areas sincerely hope that you are wrong!

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Another more extreme version of August 2008 was August 2004 - warm overall but a washout.

August 2004 was hot, humid and thundery in the first half. The second half was naff, but August 2008 was naff from start to finish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

God! please let this 'winter' end, relentless wind, cloud, rain and mild if not very mild temperatures - pathetic.

It has certainly been a very depressing winter in the UK, with relentless rain and wind. I’m surprised at how little anticyclonic weather there has been. Prague has been drier, but no lying snow all winter (!) and temperatures way above average in February. I am certainly ready for Spring and some sun and warmth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

After a couple cm of snow this morning, this afternoon reached 12C with some sunshine. Felt very pleasant, especially since we’re now getting UV indexes of 2.

Not looking forward to the colder weather.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Suffice to say, February 2020 is officially the windiest month recorded on this station, as indicated by my graph.

historic_windrun.thumb.png.2434019b52a3cf19459b3025b24f63fe.png

A few hundred miles more to be added to it as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nice -PDO signature showing now.. (means little for now of course).

spacer.png

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Suffice to say, February 2020 is officially the windiest month recorded on this station, as indicated by my graph.

historic_windrun.thumb.png.2434019b52a3cf19459b3025b24f63fe.png

A few hundred miles more to be added to it as well.

I was just about to post a moan about this aswell. The wind this month has been relentless.

We've had 16 days this month with gusts of gale force (39mph) or more. The previous record was December 2002 with 14 days.

Six of those days had gusts over 50mph, equal to the number of days in the 14 years previous!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, reef said:

I was just about to post a moan about this aswell. The wind this month has been relentless.

We've had 16 days this month with gusts of gale force (39mph) or more. The previous record was December 2002 with 14 days.

Six of those days had gusts over 50mph, equal to the number of days in the 14 years previous!

Yep, it's been a pain in the backside. Walking anywhere is often triple unpleasant this season: It's mild, drizzly and windy most of the time. Today is a perfect example.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
4 minutes ago, reef said:

A windy month here too with a mean speed at 0900 of 22.0 mph so far. If this continued to the end of the month it would make Feb' 2020 the windiest February since 2002 and the windiest month of any since Jan' 2007, both of which had a mean speed of 23.4 mph. The windiest February, and of any month, was 1990 with a mean speed of 25.6 mph at 0900.

Posted

MetO slowly coming onboard

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
31 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

MetO slowly coming onboard

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

They are just ice warnings. Precipitation may freeze on cold surfaces overnight after showers move through. I don't think they're anticipating a major snow event?! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Well the good news is that the rainfall here has been less than predicted by the models, so it may well be we miss the record wettest February. Good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

There's nothing I hate more than wind, and by god we've had our fair share. I honestly can't remember the last day it wasn't ridicliously windy, and I also can't remember the last day where it didn't rain. I actually struggle to remember a time when I can recall so many trips home from work resulting in me being drenched, or totally windeswept.

I haven't been keeping a tabs on records, but surely this has to be the windest month on record? And quite possibly the wettest too. It's preety much the worst combination of weather possible.

I think I speak for many when I say that's it's getting very tedious now and has gone off for far too long.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, matty007 said:

There's nothing I hate more than wind, and by god we've had our fair share. I honestly can't remember the last day it wasn't ridicliously windy, and I also can't remember the last day where it didn't rain. I actually struggle to remember a time when I can recall so many trips home from work resulting in me being drenched, or totally windeswept.

I haven't been keeping a tabs on records, but surely this has to be the windest month on record? And quite possibly the wettest too. It's preety much the worst combination of weather possible.

I think I speak for many when I say that's it's getting very tedious now and has gone off for far too long.

I don't mind the wind in small doses, but I agree, it's been absolutely ridiculous recently!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Hardly had any snow all winter then 2 days in a row cannot get to work as roads are gridlock with motorists skidding in the snow!