Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
27 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Or just 10 years ago. Look at the northern hemisphere chart

NOAA_2_2010021812_1.png

And compare it to now

GFSOPNH00_0_1.png

Feb 2010 actually was a fairly cold month, with a fair amount of northern blocking, following on from a cold December and January that winter.  The only February since then that came close to being as cold as 2010 was 2018.  We have actually not had a really cold February for 29 years.  1991 is the last February that could be put in the notably cold category (sub 2*C CET).  2010 also actually saw the only January since 1987 that could be put in the notably cold category (sub 2*C).

Posted
39 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Or just 10 years ago. Look at the northern hemisphere chart

NOAA_2_2010021812_1.png

And compare it to now

GFSOPNH00_0_1.png

Those kind of charts are becoming rarer and rarer in the winter months now.

It cannot be denied anymore.

• Like 2

Posted

Well 11 days left to see a single flake of snow,or it’s going to go down as a complete snowless winter here

When you look at the potential in November yet this winter has been one absolute turd.

We had this chart at end of November.This screamed potential for the winter at the time.Unbelivable how awful it turned out in the end.

D38FB45D-EDD5-4E63-B821-A48281E7075E.png

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

As someone who likes more of a variety, I am now officially sick to the back of my teeth of all this rain, rain, rain. Whilst I have enjoyed the two recent storms seeing as they did at least add a little excitement to the rain, they were relatively short lived compared to all the rain we have been having, way back since late September with any dry days few and far between.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, 78/79 said:

For anyone who works outdoors ,the weather since the end of September has been abysmal. When it affects a person's ability to earn a living,  it seriously begins to grate.

does it though??..most people who work outside make a contingency for winter working in the UK..its not like bad weather is something unexpected :snowman-emoji:

Posted

Right autumn 2000 was the wettest on record,following winter wasn`t that wet at all.

Autumn 2019 the new wettest on record,this winter is turning out to be extremely wet also,its effecting most outdoor work.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, 78/79 said:

For anyone who works outdoors ,the weather since the end of September has been abysmal. When it affects a person's ability to earn a living,  it seriously begins to grate.

Yes, but try telling that to the selfish folk who want colder weather in the spring and summer months and call us ‘softies’ when we have to put up with daytime temps of 16-19c in May or June(which happens from time to time). 

My partner works outside, and while rainfall is needed for the gardens, working in those conditions can pose difficult. That said, dry spells do eventually come along, and my guess is we will see them between April and May this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Well 11 days left to see a single flake of snow,or it’s going to go down as a complete snowless winter here

When you look at the potential in November yet this winter has been one absolute turd.

We had this chart at end of November.This screamed potential for the winter at the time.Unbelivable how awful it turned out in the end.

2020-21 will come good. Trust me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
25 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Right autumn 2000 was the wettest on record,following winter wasn`t that wet at all.

Autumn 2019 the new wettest on record,this winter is turning out to be extremely wet also,its effecting most outdoor work.

I thought 2000 was still top. Sep-Nov was indeed very wet nationally but not on the level of 2000.

Posted
21 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

It's been an utterly depressing winter here, coming hard on the heels of an utterly depressing autumn. Rain, rain, rain, rain, gales, rain, rain, gales and rain. And spam. I can't remember a single stretch of more than a few days at a time of settled weather, regardless of temperature. Naturally the Kidderminster railway station rebuilding is months behind schedule and counting, so I've had to stand out in the rain again and again and again while waiting for trains, taxis etc.

Personally I don't want storms this summer either. I've been soaked to the skin more times than I can count since October, and I need a LONG break from that. I just want it to be dry. Quite frankly if spring and summer consist of an endless run of cloudy days with average temps, I'd bite your arm off for that right now. Just someone make the rain go away. Please.

I really hope for some long dry spells of sunny weather, but it doesn’t have to be hot. Just 23c-27c will suit me just fine, with a couple of thunderstorms thrown in.

Have a feeling this coming summer will be the best one for storms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I really hope for some long dry spells of sunny weather, but it doesn’t have to be hot. Just 23c-27c will suit me just fine, with a couple of thunderstorms thrown in.

Have a feeling this coming summer will be the best one for storms. 

It is after all the less hot periods that tend to last longer (like July last year), rather than the plumes that see the sudden spike in temperature quickly followed by the Atlantic. I'd be quite happy with the same. Most important for me is the sunshine! Especially April-August. A sunny September/October would also be nice and a bit of a bonus.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As I've just agreed to work three days per week on a farm, sunshine+rain is what I'm hoping for; temps anywhere from 20 to 35C will do me fine too. Last summer was utterly superb!:oldgood:

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

I thought 2000 was still top. Sep-Nov was indeed very wet nationally but not on the level of 2000.

It overtook it here 19 years later and with such a wet winter to follow its got to be a record wet last 6 months nationally.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
22 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

It overtook it here 19 years later and with such a wet winter to follow its got to be a record wet last 6 months nationally.

Are you talking locally because autumn 2000 is the wettest on record for England and Wales by a margin

And winter 2000-01 was a wet winter and so was the following March and April. The rainfall figures for that period are staggering, for England and Wales September 2000-April 2001 about 914mm. That's a 8 month period.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Yes the field's around my house are just terrible. A muddy mess. My boots sink into the ground as it's that sodden. Speaking of 2000 if only we got a decent cold spell like Dec 2000. Feb 2001 wasn't too bad either. At least that Winter brought some proper snow & cold at times despite it being thrown in with the fabled 1997-2008 Winters. This Winter however has just been a failure compared to that.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I would take Autumn 2019 every year! Cold (below average for the UK as a whole -0.3C below the 1981-2010 average) above average sunshine (IMBY) and below average rainfall! (IMBY)

4CC712A5-6271-418E-9FBC-5343AC8F39A8.thumb.gif.a5e03f186cfc9471b0d3d5eb38c1c601.gifBA91C163-AF78-45DE-BEAF-094BF80B2B22.thumb.gif.d39bc47b518213ef14c3cdfba1e418c3.gifAE40E891-82CD-4F19-9A2C-9D120F6A1A96.thumb.gif.8efbb631fbc170c385ff839dad013f9c.gif

Maybe wettest on record locally for some people?

Monthly mean temperature breakdown: (Against 1981-2010 anomaly)

9F74A126-AEBF-40F0-B3FE-1EA844F0CDA1.thumb.gif.e94d2b3e5da7a48e146d3d77c8a4c9df.gif1D771895-EF9B-4144-87D6-E3FF798090E5.thumb.gif.6469e32cbeb553933368e7f027cc040c.gifA64EBACF-66A5-44E3-98CA-6E389B711BEA.thumb.gif.2841acbb683b10e068647720d7cdd55c.gif

It was nice to see a below average season - who knows when the next one will come along!  (Hopefully Winter 2020/2021!)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, SLEETY said:

It all looked favourable in late November but it never materialised, and in the first few days of December the pattern just collapsed and has stayed that way all winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It just gets better and better (sarcasm)... this tweet from a pro at the MetO:

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I wonder how many would swap this February with last February?

If it’s going to be very mild, may as well just be warm and sunny in my opinion, I dislike mild in winter but that spell was actually lovely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning for strong winds on Friday issued

08:00 Fri 21 to 20:00 Fri 21

• Strong winds could bring some travel disruption during Friday.

What to expect

• Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely
  • Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely

Strong and gusty west to southwesterly winds are expected across northeast England and parts of southeast Scotland during Friday with gusts of 55-65 mph in places.

Regions and local authorities affected:

North East England

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

• East Lothian
  • Midlothian Council
  • Scottish Borders

Yorkshire & Humber

• North Yorkshire

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2020-02-21&id=a8d0fe8b-2eaa-46e9-b1f1-2ddd079798c7&details