Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Days with falling snow here since february 10th = 4 days.

Days with falling snow here since February 1st 2019 = 0.

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted

32.8mm of rain in the last 24 hours here, taking us to 82.8mm for February - 197% of the 1981-2010 average for the whole month and its only the 16th.

Its already the wettest I've ever recorded and locally its already the wettest since 1977.

Posted

Been for a walk today and the ground locally is so saturated ..

We really do need an extended dry spell, fingers crossed it comes during spring/summer.

Personally i find March/April the most unappealing time of the year, kind of no mans land really,by May i look forward to warmer weather for walking and fishing, which extends to sept some years.Then all eyes Oct onwards for the upcoming winter.

I will in all fairness sacrifice summer to get a decent winter next time round, but thats just my preference.

One other thing i look for (and never seems to happen these days) is a cold anticyclone in November.

• Like 3

Posted

Really hoping for an exceptionally dry spell this Spring/Summer. Don't care about the temperatures, just want it to be dry for a while. Ever since the torrential rains of late July/August last year it has just been damp all the time.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Storm Dennis bringing record breaking February heat to France

At least Dennis didn't bring exceptional warmth to these shores!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm struggling to think of words to adequately describe this "winter". February so far in Bratislava has easily been the worst month of the season - and winter had already been dire before it started. Mean maximum so far for February is a ridiculous 9.8C and we haven't had a single day below 5C, which is simply dreadful for this part of Europe. Worse still, there's no end in sight. In previous winters when there was mild weather there was at least light at the end of the tunnel on the 10-day forecasts; now there's nothing, and I can't remember the last time there was cold showing even in FI. To say that this is appalling is a big understatement. This is my fourth winter in Slovakia and it's by far and away the worst of the bunch. Even the hills can't save me this time.

I don't usually do this but I'm throwing in the towel. Just get this abomination of a "winter" out of the way and bring on the hot Bratislavan summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

I'm struggling to think of words to adequately describe this "winter". February so far in Bratislava has easily been the worst month of the season - and winter had already been dire before it started. Mean maximum so far for February is a ridiculous 9.8C and we haven't had a single day below 5C, which is simply dreadful for this part of Europe. Worse still, there's no end in sight. In previous winters when there was mild weather there was at least light at the end of the tunnel on the 10-day forecasts; now there's nothing, and I can't remember the last time there was cold showing even in FI. To say that this is appalling is a big understatement. This is my fourth winter in Slovakia and it's by far and away the worst of the bunch. Even the hills can't save me this time.

I don't usually do this but I'm throwing in the towel. Just get this abomination of a "winter" out of the way and bring on the hot Bratislavan summer.

Same here in Prague. I’ve seen snow briefly falling twice all winter but nothing settling. That’s it. A few frosts here and there but temperatures have generally been very mild. Been a very strange winter, for sure. Could do with some of the rain that’s been lashing the UK non-stop, if there’s another hot and dry summer here, there’ll be big issues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
9 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

I have to say it is been very disappointing in the central/eastern part of Slovakia too, we have been saved by inversion cold in January and about 3 events where each time about 5cm fell and lasted for  a week or so. After spending 15 winters in Ireland until 2018 I didn't feel it was a total disaster because the expectations have been lowered since 2013/14 debacle winters. Though even since there were some active winters where most of the country got at least 10cm, but this winter has been the worst ever judging by comments elsewhere from the country. Perhaps only 2006/07 and 2013/14 come close but apparently there was a little bit more action on those winters so general consensus agrees on the worst winter in recent memory. My focus had been for few weeks now on spring and summer as do not appreciate cold weather March onwards, spring here is spectacular and cant wait for April and May. 

Posted
18 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

I will in all fairness sacrifice summer to get a decent winter next time round, but thats just my preference.

Not for me, given winters are generally so poor nowadays a long hot thundery summer can make up for it !

• Like 5

Posted
21 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Not for me, given winters are generally so poor nowadays a long hot thundery summer can make up for it !

Thats fair enough.

Im just fed up with perpetual Autumn TBH.

• Like 3

Posted

2006-07 was saved by even in january by a modest cold N/NEly.

Rrea00120070122.gifAnd of course february was definately saved by the biggest snowfall at that time of the century and just to see a chart like this now would be extatic as far as this relentless models keep showing,never known that.

Rrea00120070205.gifRrea00120070208.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
On 16/02/2020 at 17:15, northwestsnow said:

So would I!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's been an utterly depressing winter here, coming hard on the heels of an utterly depressing autumn. Rain, rain, rain, rain, gales, rain, rain, gales and rain. And spam. I can't remember a single stretch of more than a few days at a time of settled weather, regardless of temperature. Naturally the Kidderminster railway station rebuilding is months behind schedule and counting, so I've had to stand out in the rain again and again and again while waiting for trains, taxis etc.

Personally I don't want storms this summer either. I've been soaked to the skin more times than I can count since October, and I need a LONG break from that. I just want it to be dry. Quite frankly if spring and summer consist of an endless run of cloudy days with average temps, I'd bite your arm off for that right now. Just someone make the rain go away. Please.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
28 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

It's been an utterly depressing winter here, coming hard on the heels of an utterly depressing autumn. Rain, rain, rain, rain, gales, rain, rain, gales and rain. And spam. I can't remember a single stretch of more than a few days at a time of settled weather, regardless of temperature. Naturally the Kidderminster railway station rebuilding is months behind schedule and counting, so I've had to stand out in the rain again and again and again while waiting for trains, taxis etc.

Personally I don't want storms this summer either. I've been soaked to the skin more times than I can count since October, and I need a LONG break from that. I just want it to be dry. Quite frankly if spring and summer consist of an endless run of cloudy days with average temps, I'd bite your arm off for that right now. Just someone make the rain go away. Please.

Craving weeks of mostly sunny days with highs of 20-25C right now.  The weather really has been dreadful recently and despite the lengthening daylight hours it's hard to realise it with all of the cloud and rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Off on a road trip around the North Coast 500 in NW Scotland next week. Desperately hoping I can muster a few snowflakes on the mountain roads up there. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

For anyone who works outdoors ,the weather since the end of September has been abysmal. When it affects a person's ability to earn a living,  it seriously begins to grate.

• Like 5

Posted
10 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

On this day back in the good ole days.

Rrea00119860217.gif

Yes, I remember it well.

I don't think there was a single day during Feb 86 when Westerly/Atlantic influence was able to push milder weather into the South East of England, intense blocking resulted in virtually continuous E/SE flow with bitterly cold air!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
49 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

For anyone who works outdoors ,the weather since the end of September has been abysmal. When it affects a person's ability to earn a living,  it seriously begins to grate.

I don't work outside but I can only imagine.

as a SAD sufferer, winter would be manageable with snow and/or crisp bright days, but its been just endless rain rain rain.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

I don’t think it’s been that bad, wet yes, but not that bad to work outside.  

Edited by Beanz