Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s been mild at times, but the winter has produced some cold days. Not freezing, but cold nevertheless.

Its been a mild winter, but, I’ve still had to wear a hat and gloves from time to time, and I live in London.

Its been disappointing for lack of snow, but I’m now looking forward to warmer weather  and longer days. Still another month or so, before we see a real improvement. 

Sorry to disagree with you but here to the east of London (Essex)...i haven't recorded one solitary day with a max below 5c which is poor by ANY winter's standards (and I've been recording winters since 1983/84), we might have had the the odd chilly feeling day due to the wind of late but to say we've experience some cold days this winter is incorrect and misleading and take in respect average temperatures here in the south east generally from mid-December to Mid-February largely have maxes of 7c and what days we have had below this have come in the blander dull calm days.

I think the majority of people wear gloves and scarves in winter particularly if it is windy or people of a certain age, I have but now I'm 50 I feel the 'cold' a little more.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

I shouldn't have looked at the tweets to that, the amount of thick-headed people on there is unbelievable and causes me unnecessary annoyance and brain damage.  

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

When you look at the chart above, the most unusual warmth was over western Russia and eastern Europe, just to the east of the UK.  It just shows that the strong PV to the north which resulted in a very mild month for us in the UK, has pushed warm SW winds right across Europe and into Russia.  Alaska and NW Canada looks to have had a notably cold month, so the warmest January on record globally at least did not preclude cold in small parts of the world such as Alaska and NW Canada.  I am of no knowledge on this, but does a cold anomaly in Alaska often mean the UK is left on the mild side?

Posted
1 hour ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I am of no knowledge on this, but does a cold anomaly in Alaska often mean the UK is left on the mild side?

I believe Alaska had a cold winter 1988/89 when the UK was obviously very mild.  However, whether there is a link or it's just a coincidence, I'm not sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sorry to disagree with you but here to the east of London (Essex)...i haven't recorded one solitary day with a max below 5c which is poor by ANY winter's standards (and I've been recording winters since 1983/84), we might have had the the odd chilly feeling day due to the wind of late but to say we've experience some cold days this winter is incorrect and misleading and take in respect average temperatures here in the south east generally from mid-December to Mid-February largely have maxes of 7c and what days we have had below this have come in the blander dull calm days.

I think the majority of people wear gloves and scarves in winter particularly if it is windy or people of a certain age, I have but now I'm 50 I feel the 'cold' a little more.

Agreed. 

Any "cold" days in the SE have only felt "cold" because there have been so many mild days. In reality, there were no cold days (highs 2-3 or below) here this winter, which is v. unusual. 

• Like 2

Posted

Good evening peeps, what a really poor poor winter... it's been so far!! A lot of peeps on here keep banging on about how mild it's been?? Well bar a spell around Christmas it's been cold ( even very cold ) around these parts since November... granted not freezing or snow ( only a couple of days, which didn't last more than few hours ) but mild no... I can take whatever weather puts in front of us, I drive a forklift at work and spend about 30% of day outside in only a t-shirt and a hi-vis but the other drivers, are wrapped up like teddy bears!! Like it was a minus, proper winter... but it as been cold, none the less.

Some southern parts, say Staffordshire South, might be mild from time to time... but not here. But not unlike a lot of winter's around these parts, even green ( not white ) or on the cold side ( no snow )... but I think it's just patterns and cycles ( nothing else )

As for the rest of winter, into spring... I think another cold spring could be on the cards, like a lot of springs over the last 4 or 5 years... but the weather will do whatever it wants... so time will tell.

Just wanted to get that off mi chest, lol... enjoy whatever takes ya fancy ☺

That holy grail of winter's, could be just around the corner

Posted
6 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Different people feel the cold in the different ways. Anything south of 16c is chilly for me, and anything south of 8c is cold, while 5c and below is very cold.

Even damp mild days can feel cold, because of the cloud, wind and moisture in the atmosphere. Like I said, it affects people differently. 

I can’t wait until we start getting 20c plus days, with sunshine. 

• Like 2

Posted

looking at the radar   i think wales are in for a lot of problems  over  night not looking nice at all

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Peak District aswell 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
30 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Peak District aswell 

And Wirral, Halton and Merseyside.

Posted

It's mid February.

It's pouring with rain outside.

The temperature is around 13-14c at half past ten at night, dew points are up in double digits.

Tonight is just awful. About as far away from a crisp winter's night that we can get.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Gord said:

Tonight is just awful. About as far away from a crisp winter's night that we can get.

Erm, yep!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Does it bear thinking about what a wet summer would mean for us in terms of flooding etc?!

Heavy convective rains on already saturated ground..

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Does it bear thinking about what a wet summer would mean for us in terms of flooding etc?!

Heavy convective rains on already saturated ground..

Very good point.  Although last winter was mild, it was also dry.  If this coming summer is wet, I imagine we could see flooding issues comparable to 2007 or worse?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Don said:

Very good point.  Although last winter was mild, it was also dry.  If this coming summer is wet, I imagine we could see flooding issues comparable to 2007 or worse?

I would think so, yes. 

If a 2007 event happens, a lot of places are in serious trouble. Especially in places that copped a lot of rain last summer (midlands etc) and have seen a lot of rain fall recently. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

Point of order NetWeather.

I see that you are showing a max gust on the summit of the Cairngorms at 10.00am this morning of 93 mph. The Met Office device at the summit shows nothing of the sort at 10.00am. Their device shows a max gust of 64.3 knots, which is 73.99 mph. 

logo-global.png
WOW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The UK Met Office Weather Observation Website (WOW). WOW allows anyone to submit their own weather data, anywhere in the world.

You might want to have another look..

1677822995_2020-02-15(2).thumb.png.342f539f65d81015a0c23df775438066.png

93mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, OldBloke said:

I did. see my repost. How do you delete a post Le Pantz?

There's no delete function. However, you should have the option to hide your own post.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
On 13/02/2020 at 20:17, Zak M said:

I have said to a lot of people that they shouldn't give up on winter if they don't receive snow next week. But, to be honest, I don't think that I'll get any snow this winter.

If that isn't strange enough, is it strange that I haven't even witnessed sleet here?

I think the issue we’ve had all winter is that Polar Vortex has been way too strong so therefore it’s near impossible to get prolonged cold spells. Really is a disappointment though, I think the last completely snowless winter for me at least was 2013-14 with all the storms bringing in mild air, similar to recently. Just want to hope that some day that polar vortex will break down and there will be such negative AO that we get a repeat of winter 2009/2010. That’s what I need

• Like 4

Posted

Ummm february records after just seeing TM post his wettest february day since 1977.

I had to check so 2002 gave the previous wettest feb 24hr period.

We`ve beaten that twice in 1 month after last weeks major storm of 1inch and last night even higher than that alone at 30mm not including yesterday`s rain which not so much.

Severn valley is a massive lake.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
20 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Last week's record didn't last long, did it?!  Not good.  How many times have I said that this winter?!

• Like 2

Posted

I hope we don’t end up with a summer with days and weeks of the current weather. That would be depressing in every sense of the word. If that does happen, 2020/21 would probably be much colder. Like I said before though, I would rather have a warm sunny summer, if it means sacrificing the cold and snow, and having another mild winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Massive rainfall here over the last two days, pushing us up to nearly twice the average rainfall already. The month of February will be the wettest on record here - I have rain almost every day in my forecast (BBC) often for whole days at a time.

Edited by Thundershine