Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
2 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Roll on spring  I’ve had enough of this pain . ❄️ 

Yep, me too. 

Heavy snow showers here on Monday evening, but it didn’t lie. Slight covering on the roof of my shed yesterday morning, and snow showers throughout the day, but no lying snow, other than on the hills behind me. Last night was quite icy.

I’m really getting fed up with this winter now, but we’ve still another 7 weeks of the dark evenings. Winter really does drag at this point. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Peter H said:

Over the last 60 years ( I’m 64 now ) I’ve noticed a real change in winter weather.

when I was young in the 60’s, we always had at least two or three snow events per season, and that was outside the winter of 62/63. When it wasn’t snowing we had long cold frosty days, when you could put water on the ground and it would freeze almost instantly, or the frost never lifted throughout the day. Either that or there was always snow preceding rain, or cold cloudy days with snow flurries.

i thought the 90’s and 00’s were bad for cold winters, but the last decade was worse with the only winter remotely resembling my childhood 2017/18. 

How long does it have to be before the average temperature for January is adjusted upwards ?

I think in these parts it’s around 6 degrees C, but we rarely have constant maximum temperatures in January at those levels, and often continually at 10 or 11. 

What year did you notice the change or at what point do you notice a gradual shift? 70s, 1987, or some other point?

Posted
5 hours ago, Peter H said:

Yep, me too. 

Heavy snow showers here on Monday evening, but it didn’t lie. Slight covering on the roof of my shed yesterday morning, and snow showers throughout the day, but no lying snow, other than on the hills behind me. Last night was quite icy.

I’m really getting fed up with this winter now, but we’ve still another 7 weeks of the dark evenings. Winter really does drag at this point. 

Once we hit March, I see that as light at the end of the tunnel, even if it remains dark, cold or miserable. March is the transitional month.

Real warmth of nice weather probably won’t arrive until April though. I still see the heavy jackets on commuters, and until I start to see more of them outnumbered by the light jacket people, it’s still cold season.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

What year did you notice the change or at what point do you notice a gradual shift? 70s, 1987, or some other point?

The turning point in my mind was December 1988, since then winters have generally been milder and summers generally warmer.

If you compare CET averages between 1961 -90 and 1981- 2010 there is a big difference, when the CET is updated to 1991 to 2020 the trend will continue. 

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

I hope it settles down by next weekend when I’m going to be running in the Wokingham Half Marathon. Nothing worse than running in windy wet humid or hot conditions

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Once we hit March, I see that as light at the end of the tunnel, even if it remains dark, cold or miserable. March is the transitional month.

Real warmth of nice weather probably won’t arrive until April though. I still see the heavy jackets on commuters, and until I start to see more of them outnumbered by the light jacket people, it’s still cold season.

I always think back to that wonderful hot spell in April 2003 - 27c on the 16th/17th. By mid April you can really get some warm spells, even better for some as they are minus the July intensity!

Posted
10 hours ago, topo said:

I think that both 1989 and 1990 had also a record vortex but no cold in March or April...

Coldest night back here than we`ve had all this winter at -4c yes cold NWlys april 1990.

Rrea00119900404.gif

Well this winter can be compared to 2013/14 if the last half of february brings atlantic SWly garbage which the high to the south east has been the most annoying pain in the backside all winter then it will rate lower.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

The turning point in my mind was December 1988, since then winters have generally been milder and summers generally warmer.

If you compare CET averages between 1961 -90 and 1981- 2010 there is a big difference, when the CET is updated to 1991 to 2020 the trend will continue. 

Andy

Average CET for Winter per decade

1940s  3.65

1950s 3.92

1960s  3.14

1970s  4.35

1980s  4.1

1990s  4.76

00  4.99

Teens 4.73

last 6 years  5.48

• Like 4

Posted
13 hours ago, Peter H said:

Over the last 60 years ( I’m 64 now ) I’ve noticed a real change in winter weather.

when I was young in the 60’s, we always had at least two or three snow events per season, and that was outside the winter of 62/63. When it wasn’t snowing we had long cold frosty days, when you could put water on the ground and it would freeze almost instantly, or the frost never lifted throughout the day. Either that or there was always snow preceding rain, or cold cloudy days with snow flurries.

i thought the 90’s and 00’s were bad for cold winters, but the last decade was worse with the only winter remotely resembling my childhood 2017/18. 

How long does it have to be before the average temperature for January is adjusted upwards ?

I think in these parts it’s around 6 degrees C, but we rarely have constant maximum temperatures in January at those levels, and often continually at 10 or 11. 

I have arrived in this country in the 1990's and even in this time period I can tell there is a shift to milder winters. Not only that, but in the last few winters there is almost a complete lack of cold spells which makes the weather particularly boring.

Average temperatures are only achieved for the minority of the time. Even a slight morning frost is something to talk about these days.

Posted
4 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Coldest night back here than we`ve had all this winter at -4c yes cold NWlys april 1990.

Rrea00119900404.gif

I remember that. Woke up to a snow cover here that morning. Also remember seeing overnight news footage of  the prisoners on the roof of Strangeways and it was snowing.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

February is turning into a very wet month here, already 20% above the entire month's normal average, add that to the record wet October and November. I am not impressed.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Thundershine said:

February is turning into a very wet month here, already 20% above the entire month's normal average, add that to the record wet October and November. I am not impressed.

I had to check here, we're on 46mm and Feb average is only 55mm so will easily pass that this weekend.
Next week looks drier though so unlikely to be particularly remarkable.
January meanwhile was well below half normal here.

Posted
9 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I always think back to that wonderful hot spell in April 2003 - 27c on the 16th/17th. By mid April you can really get some warm spells, even better for some as they are minus the July intensity!

Add 2011, 1984, 1987, 1997, 2007 to that list, or even 2015, 2017 and 2019.

The first warm spells can and usually can happen in April, although not hot. 2011 and 2003 did actually feel very warm for a few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
45 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Hi guys. As you brace yourselves for Storm Dennis. I am on the northern side of the Storm System in Reykjavik where we have a red alert for friday from the Icelandic met office for sustained winds of 68mph and gust in excess of this. The upside is that it will be accompanied by sleet and snow. 

What you see when you open the front door on Saturday morning:

snow.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I have said to a lot of people that they shouldn't give up on winter if they don't receive snow next week. But, to be honest, I don't think that I'll get any snow this winter.

If that isn't strange enough, is it strange that I haven't even witnessed sleet here?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Only had two very light coatings of snow this Winter - both of which melted after about 2 hours. At least in 2013-14 the only covering we had all Winter one evening in the February lasted until the next morning. So for me this Winter has been the worst I can recall around these parts. Still a couple of weeks to salvage something a bit better but even it did this would still rank as one of the poorest. Both in terms of snow & frost. After a chilly & promising end to Autumn things quickly turned sour into Winter.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Only had two very light coatings of snow this Winter - both of which melted after about 2 hours. At least in 2013-14 the only covering we had all Winter one evening in the February lasted until the next morning. So for me this Winter has been the worst I can recall around these parts. Still a couple of weeks to salvage something a bit better but even it did this would still rank as one of the poorest. Both in terms of snow & frost. After a chilly & promising end to Autumn things quickly turned sour into Winter.

How strange, as the autumn did feel cold, things just switched in early December to mild muck. 

That said, there’s been quite a few chilly sunny days in my location, but nothing long lasting. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Two stormy weekends in a row - yuck. This "winter" is really dragging on now isn't it? Please can it end. I don't want snow anymore. Just sun, blue skies and a bit of warmth! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Two stormy weekends in a row - yuck. This "winter" is really dragging on now isn't it? Please can it end. I don't want snow anymore. Just sun, blue skies and a bit of warmth! 

although Its been a pretty average kind of winter here... im the same..tired now of driving home through snow rutted roads and black ice, i just want spring to start so bad now..trouble is the clocks go forward here in 2 weeks and it feels like your are thrown back into the depths of winter for a few extra weeks 

• Like 1

Posted

Wettest month so far this winter is december at 100mm january was actually some sort of restbite after the record wet autumn.

This month already half of december`s rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

only saving grace after Dennis the mennace has his day the AO looks to be dropping like a stone from the 20th. how far it drops will determine if there is one last chance of colder weather for the end of the month. but still it doesn't look like it will go negative either the AO or the NAO 

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
38 minutes ago, igloo said:

only saving grace after Dennis the mennace has his day the AO looks to be dropping like a stone from the 20th. how far it drops will determine if there is one last chance of colder weather for the end of the month. but still it doesn't look like it will go negative either the AO or the NAO 

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

I seem to remember late 2017 there was similar stormy weather and ex hurricanes such as Ophelia,David and Brian which after seemed to me bring about a blocking pattern which would then persist right through 2018 and into 2019

Posted

Maybe its me but January didn't feel warm, very mild at times yes.

Don't remember people commenting on how warm it was, and didn't see anyone in flip flops or a sun hat or suffering from heat stroke/sunburn..:crazy:

Posted
2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Maybe its me but January didn't feel warm, very mild at times yes.

Don't remember people commenting on how warm it was, and didn't see anyone in flip flops or a sun hat or suffering from heat stroke/sunburn..:crazy:

It’s been mild at times, but the winter has produced some cold days. Not freezing, but cold nevertheless.

Its been a mild winter, but, I’ve still had to wear a hat and gloves from time to time, and I live in London.

Its been disappointing for lack of snow, but I’m now looking forward to warmer weather  and longer days. Still another month or so, before we see a real improvement.