Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Well there we have it. The last week of winter and nothing changes according to the latest GFS Ens mean. A thoroughly crap winter for most of Euroland for cold lovers anyway. Even at 1500m above sea level in the Eastern Alps, although snow covered , hardly called this winter cold.

C

gh500_20200209_12_384.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

Rubbish. We have always had turbulent weather. 

I might head down to that extinction rebellion gathering in May and tell them why they are wasting their time. 

Its selfish behaviour, while others like myself need to get to work. And it’s also short sighted that we as humans feel we are the main cause for a shifting climate. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 hour ago, reef said:

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

We are told the arctic is warming faster than the tropics

This should reduce the temperature differential and thus weaken the jet stream....

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

No thanks, I’m not willing to sacrifice a few summers for the sake of a return to a 1987,82, 2008-2012 winters.

A cool dull summer would be utterly depressing, but I have a bad feeling this will be the year we get one.

Each to their own and fair enough.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Only 2013, 14 and 2018 have been decent across a wider area. 2015,16 and 17 were awful. And while London had warm sunny spells in all three and 2017 and 16 had some very hot weather, it was confined to just a few weeks. 

They were still better than the likes of 2007/08 and 2011/12.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2015-17 really weren’t awful at all. Far from it. They had their ups and downs but brought a mix of everything.

In 2015, here at least, most of June, the first 10 days of July and first half of August were generally good.

In 2016, the first 10 days of June, second half of July, and most of August were good.  I’d rate August 2016 as the best of the decade for here, followed by 2013 and 2018.

2017 was really a case of collapsing in instalments but had a lot of fine weather in June and July. August was probably the biggest disappointment and more like September down here.

They all pale in comparison to the 2007-2012 period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As somebody who is generally not a fan of must summer heat (2013 was a non-humid heat though) I’d be perfectly happy to sacrifice summer for winter. Right now it’s hard to say what the background drivers will favour though.

This has been a poor winter though.

• Like 2

Posted

Well, typically the sleet/snow has disappeared from the Metoffice forecast Monday into Tuesday for my town! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I’m calling this ‘winter’ over. And what a sorry joke it’s been.

Rating (out of 10) ZERO

No snow...few frosts..,too much rain resulting in tediously repetitive waterlogging/surface water flooding episodes (I’ve lost count how many times since November) Afraid Atlantic storms don’t do it for me, damaging winds and a sharp rise in flood warnings was the result, so nope..not for me...so it’s a big fat zero and roll on Spring.

• Like 7

Posted

What a pathetic winter this still is, when the best we can hope for is maybe a few flakes and slush on the Hills here, at the best. 

A normal winter gives at least one decent snowfall to the lowlands, and it's looking unlikely many places will see that. 

Have to live over 2000ft in the Highlands to see decent snow this winter. 

This winter is going to rank among the worst ever in my lifetime, so please kindly shut the door on the way out, you utter vile winter. 

• Like 5

Posted
34 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Have to live over 2000ft in the Highlands to see decent snow this winter. 

Hardly not snow down to low level in the north today.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Spirits lifted today as was in decent location for todays snow, first snow, sleet of season and decent little event

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

So I see some more have finally seen snow falling or had settling snow, nout here of the white stuff all winter although I got my snow falling fix back in mid November, ok it was very wet snow flakes & borderline sleet, most certainly evaporative cooling taking effect as there was hardly any wind & it turned more to snow in the heavier bursts, some of the higher areas around had settling snow, not bad for autumn, shame that early sight of snow falling didn't set the tone for the winter to come though!! Lol

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Just want to say how impressed ive been with the GFS modelling of this cold spell, after we locally have had a dumping.

The GFS for several days now alongside the FAX charts recognised that shortwave feature as having the potential to deliver a more prolonged spell of snow for the north midlands, and only Netweathers daily outlook for Derby supported it.  The BBC, Met Office, and all other online forecasts were wrong, Accuweather even predicted 10c, sunny, dry, for Derby .

So dont dismiss the GFS predicted precipitation, they got it bang on today.

Aren't you the lucky one. Sweet nothing here so it's the same as its been all. Winter. A nothing one really.... 

• Like 5

Posted

An online acquaintance has reported a "white out" somewhere near Nottingham after lunch. He said there was heavy wet snow for 3/4 of an hour, dropping the temperature to 1C, and settling for a while before turning to slush recently. He said they issued a snow warning for it after it finished. Radar is just starting to show hints of snow amongst the sleet on Exmoor and Dartmoor, and even sleet in London. Keep your eyes peeled!

Edited by Aleman

Posted
19 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Well, this 'Storm Denis' looks interesting. Having looked at the models, it will may not as violent as Storm Ciara, but definitely something to watch out for!

It wants to be as violent as it likes... There has to be something of interest for us southeasterners!! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
6 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

It wants to be as violent as it likes... There has to be something of interest for us southeasterners!! 

Calm down snowfish2, what do you expect in Hernia Bay, there's a reason that it has the highest concentration of homes for the elderly in the UK.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Spring like!! It still looks on the chilly side to me out to day 10, even the mean is still below 0c...yes it hardly severe Winter conditions, but still some opportunities to get something a tad wintry at times out to day 10.

ECM1-168.gif

ECM1-192.gif

ECM1-216.gif

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-168.gif

ECM0-192.gif

ECM0-216.gif

ECM0-240.gif

westerly based stuff just doesn’t cut it most of the time unless you are on a hill somewhere. 850s will be -7c here on Wednesday. Forecast max 8c/min 3c, which is around bang on the average for the time of year. Even cold air below the norm just delivers average conditions. The UK climate is a joke.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

westerly based stuff just doesn’t cut it most of the time unless you are on a hill somewhere. 850s will be -7c here on Wednesday. Forecast max 8c/min 3c, which is around bang on the average for the time of year. Even cold air below the norm just delivers average conditions. The UK climate is a joke.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was just pointing out it was on the cool side, rather than springlike. Yes it's a bad winter, but we are not alone in suffering it this time around. Can't see the point in even moaning about it, it is what it is! Better look next time I say. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
8 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Is this a moan or dependent on where you live?,the NW was and still is always favored for snow esp on hills,even the SE had some snow today so that is a surprise for them,it is still early Feb and there is still plenty of time yet,hold on in there mate.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Is this a moan or dependent on where you live?,the NW was and still is always favored for snow esp on hills,even the SE had some snow today so that is a surprise for them,it is still early Feb and there is still plenty of time yet,hold on in there mate.

Guess it depends what floats your boat. I live in one of the worst areas possible for snow - even the BFTE didn’t bring much here, so I’m resigned to missing out regardless. Trade off is that it’s often one the hottest places in the UK on a summers day, so it’s not all bad. A bit of wet snow flying around today so a few people may be happy with a dusting! Even the very mildest winters usually have a bit of the white stuff chucked in, as today has shown.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
40 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Guess it depends what floats your boat. I live in one of the worst areas possible for snow - even the BFTE didn’t bring much here, so I’m resigned to missing out regardless. Trade off is that it’s often one the hottest places in the UK on a summers day, so it’s not all bad. A bit of wet snow flying around today so a few people may be happy with a dusting! Even the very mildest winters usually have a bit of the white stuff chucked in, as today has shown.

It's a good trade off though - you've got the title for the hottest temp on record now! 

53 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I guess you've not lived in Cambridge long enough. I had to cycle from Waterbeach to the British Antarctic Survey (on Madingley Rd!)in the mid 90's and that included snow cycling