Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

First -1 PDO value since summer 2016.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
18 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Away from your corner in the southeast, that's debatable!

Doesn't matter my location as the sun is shining across this side of the world when its daytime so even the cracks in the clouds would bring noticeable difference when you're in the sun's ray.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a shocking Winter this has been,wouldn't even call it Winter just a extension of Autumn. I can't recall one as bad. Fingers crossed this Summer won't be a record breaker heat wise, that would be the final insult mother nature could do. But weather is weather,so we can but pray.

Posted
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

What a shocking Winter this has been,wouldn't even call it Winter just a extension of Autumn. I can't recall one as bad. Fingers crossed this Summer won't be a record breaker heat wise, that would be the final insult mother nature could do. But weather is weather,so we can but pray.

1988-89 was quite abit worse than this

Anyway next week could bring more than 1988-89,although I keep thinking about that 1 foot of wet snow we had in december 1988 though.Rrea00119881203.gif

It was so early in the month.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

1988-89 was quite abit worse than this

Anyway next week could bring more than 1988-89,although I keep thinking about that 1 foot of wet snow we had in december 1988 though.Rrea00119881203.gif

It was so early in the month.

Didn't last long and wasn't long before Billy Bartlett reared his ugly head for the remainder of winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
8 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Monday now showing snow lying.

image.thumb.png.be80d9fe8c039d8ce341a7534af09b5d.png

Snowmaggedon. ?️

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

I’m hoping it’s hot and sunny. After the crap winter we’ve had. It would be depressing to end up with a dull cool summer. 

I really have no desire to have a return of 1985-88 or 2009-13 with poorer summers.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I really have no desire to have a return of 1985-88 or 2009-13 with poorer summers.

I have.  We have a had a string of crap winters (2017/18 excepted) and the summers since 2013 haven't been bad with 2018 the hottest since 1976.  In view of the warming climate, hot summers are likely more and more in abundance, whereas cold winters will be rarer than rocking horse poop!  Therefore, if we have a period of cool/wet summers during the next few years, I won't complain as long as we get some cold/snowy winters.  Each to their own of course. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
19 minutes ago, Don said:

I have.  We have a had a string of crap winters (2017/18 excepted) and the summers since 2013 haven't been bad with 2018 the hottest since 1976.  In view of the warming climate, hot summers are likely more and more in abundance, whereas cold winters will be rarer than rocking horse poop!  Therefore, if we have a period of cool/wet summers during the next few years, I won't complain as long as we get some cold/snowy winters.  Each to their own of course. 

That may be the case in Wiltshire but here in the Pennines your 'Hav'nt been that bad' summers  have been to describe in Yorkshire dialect as 'dung'.Those in the south have no idea what a poor summer is!

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like my slang has been adjusted down again!

Posted
28 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may be the case in Wiltshire but here in the Pennines your 'Hav'nt been that bad' summers  have been to describe in Yorkshire dialect as 'dung'.Those in the south have no idea what a poor summer is!

They were pretty poor between 1985 and 1988 and not great between 2007 and 2012 either.  Of course the south will on average do better than the north and that will always be the way.  However, on the flip side, I could say those in the north have no idea what a poor winter is if cold and snow is your thing!  I know this year has been crap for most of the country, but northern areas normally experience snow, even during the mildest winters, which isn't the case for the south!

Edited by Don

Posted
3 hours ago, Don said:

Didn't last long and wasn't long before Billy Bartlett reared his ugly head for the remainder of winter!

Yes it was a shocker of a winter the baseline still.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Yes it was a shocker of a winter the baseline still.

Indeed it was!  However, I did see some very fleeting snow fall late in February, so there is the potential it could beat this year from that perspective.

Edited by Don

Posted

What made up for that winter was the november cold NWly then we had the cold easterly in april,but I expect most people then don`t want cold.

Posted
26 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

What made up for that winter was the november cold NWly then we had the cold easterly in april,but I expect most people then don`t want cold.

I did, April 5th 1989 saw the first lying snow IMBY since January 1987!  Had to wait until February 1991 to see the next lying snow. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Yes NWS you deserve a bit of the white stuff mate, I know you've been tearing your hair out this Winter waiting for something to happen! Perhaps a little payback is the order of the day over the next few days.. Those GFS snow charts do look tempting now and for once it's all within the next 48 hours! I'm expecting a few surprises to crop up here at short notice also. I'm also go na be brave and make a call of a few locations being hit pretty hard! Could be some fun and games very shortly... Ohh and mind the wind folks, it's enough to blow ya wig clean off..

06_54_preciptype (1).png

Haven't we all Matt?!  Anyway, this chart doesn't look so bad for IMBY, but after the winter so far, it won't take much to get me excited!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Don said:

Haven't we all Matt?!  Anyway, this chart doesn't look so bad for IMBY, but after the winter so far, it won't take much to get me excited!

Duely noted Don, luckily i have no hair , I'm noticing a mass of weather warnings in force for a wide range of areas from tomorrow afternoon onwards. Wouldn't be surprised to see snow cropping up in numerous places now, obviously the higher the better, but not conclusively. Lamposts at the ready. 

• Like 2

Posted

Boxing day 2015 gave the worst floods here since 1946,today has just matched that event,Whats going on?

Posted
2 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

Duely noted Don, luckily i have no hair , I'm noticing a mass of weather warnings in force for a wide range of areas from tomorrow afternoon onwards. Wouldn't be surprised to see snow cropping up in numerous places now, obviously the higher the better, but not conclusively. Lamposts at the ready. 

Lol!  I don't think I will see any snow this week but like you say, you never know in these marginal situations.  I'm 420 feet above sea level, but I'm probably too far south.  What I do think is this week will be my last chance to see any white stuff this winter and possibly spring, too.

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Boxing day 2015 gave the worst floods here since 1946,today has just matched that event,Whats going on?

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
3 minutes ago, reef said:

Its almost as though something is causing more frequent extreme events; that there's more energy in the system, that the temperature differential between the ocean and land off the eastern seaboard is greater causing a stronger jet and more violent storms...

I wonder what it could be...

Notable shift from the pv locating itself over canada is a huge aid I would have thought

Posted
22 hours ago, Don said:

No thanks, I’m not willing to sacrifice a few summers for the sake of a return to a 1987,82, 2008-2012 winters.

A cool dull summer would be utterly depressing, but I have a bad feeling this will be the year we get one.

Posted
22 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Only 2013, 14 and 2018 have been decent across a wider area. 2015,16 and 17 were awful. And while London had warm sunny spells in all three and 2017 and 16 had some very hot weather, it was confined to just a few weeks.