Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Just checking. If there is a ukmo red alert for high winds are the schools forced to close or is it up to individual ones to decide?
Asking because we in Slovakia have a red wind warning today in many regions and few hours ago wind blew down a metal bus stop that killed a 4 year old child with another one being in critical condition. Thnx

How sad ☹️ Some very strong winds in Central Europe since yesterday, glad I missed them. The UKMO gives out  weather warnings, I think the government and local authorities are involved when things are very severe. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Lovely sunny day here again, but the old codgers round the corner from mine that I chat to sometimes were in their front gardens and when I mentioned that spring has arrived early and another year without a winter, they were like no way, this was always going to be a late one, you wait until the end of February. I'm like, do they really know something I don't...did they see it in the good old tea leaves I wonder?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
13 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Funny how things change with location.

October/November 2019 here were the two worst months I've ever recorded - constant heavy or even torrential rain all of the two months with severe flooding and our wettest autumn on record. Add the cold to all that constant rain and it was thoroughly miserable. December/January have been much better here, drier than average and much sunnier than November which recorded a paltry 29 hrs at the local weather station in Sheffield.

Indeed! (I am on the West coast of Scotland)

We had a few settling snowfalls on the higher hills/mountains (400 meters) here in both months. (One such occasion in the last week of October)

October rainfall amount and sunshine duration.

4B307227-3FEE-420D-8615-F98B682DAA89.thumb.gif.4e8275767076191609e4fa1c7c15e5ee.gifFB697B29-4B13-49B5-91B4-935D6722BF1E.thumb.gif.a159d86247a58015de26c4a51244da09.gif

November rainfall amount and sunshine duration.

37C00152-1376-459D-9758-545A3EEA560A.thumb.gif.a5604e9415e886e4c2fcbab645d81fee.gifE80D471F-CA21-46DF-86B0-D853DABD8DB6.thumb.gif.13d4e3376360177fd0420fde534ee71e.gif

Only a five hour drive away from Sheffield and the total opposite regarding the stats for the above months.

I guess that is one of the interesting things about the UK climate - big regional differences with regards to weather in all seasons. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
22 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

How sad ☹️ Some very strong winds in Central Europe since yesterday, glad I missed them. The UKMO gives out  weather warnings, I think the government and local authorities are involved when things are very severe. 

I am under red warning today, actually the red warning is for mountains with winds up to 160kmh, amber is for low levels with winds between 85 and 110km forecast. It is the second time in few months where wind caused casualty. Few months ago tree fell and killed a schoolboy. 

Posted

Makes you wonder how we ever got severe cold spells in the past during the winter months,when you look at this never ending low pressure to the North and high pressure to the South of the U.K. ,which has ruined countless winters the past few decades. over not just the U.K. but Europe too.

That  temperature  anomaly’ for Scandinavia is ridiculous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, jules216 said:

I am under red warning today, actually the red warning is for mountains with winds up to 160kmh, amber is for low levels with winds between 85 and 110km forecast. It is the second time in few months where wind caused casualty. Few months ago tree fell and killed a schoolboy. 

I hope that you and your family are safe? The frequency of destructive winds in C Europe is definitely increasing. My family in Brno have noticed them getting worse. Looks like more storms next week....Dávaj na seba pozor!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well at least the upcoming storm will provide some kind of weather interest! Going to be a noisy night shift for me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Such a westerly winter this season. Most boring I think I’ve ever seen. Not even one snow day with a dusting of just 1cm or even a flake of snow seen. Terrible. Polar vortex is just too strong and these ridiculous southwesterlies keep coming in. was this even winter???? I think the last time I had a completely snowless winter here in the southeast was 2013-14 but that was still an exciting one with all the major storms throughout all the winter months but this winter has barely had any of that. Oh well, time to start hunting for thunderstorms in a couple of months, although last year I had seriously bad luck with those as well with major storm events curving around London as if there were a forcefield. Seems to me the more I wish for certain types of weather they become more and more rare. I guess I’ll just take every day as it comes 

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Why do certain models cough* gfs *cough show completely unrealistic weather in fi so regularly? All models do it to a certain extent but the gfs often shows things that just aren't going to happen around day 10.Surely the models should all be weighted towards the norm so if they're struggling to get a handle on what's going on they always edge towards the average conditions for that time of year.Nationwide blizzards or hurricane force winds are not the norm...

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Unseasonably warm winter in Japan as well

Very sad indeed, what with Europe recording its warmest January on record, too.  It's just relentless......

Edited by Don

Posted

All this ramping up on how warm it is in other countries is getting repetitive.

In reality its surface cold from the continent,air frost now another tonight with warm upper air.

image.thumb.png.8a502b08a0b388647ffd2ad7b65e1d5f.pngimage.thumb.png.67f7c525d03452382b7895fd2e5c0361.png

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

All this ramping up on how warm it is in other countries is getting repetitive.

In reality its surface cold from the continent,air frost now another tonight with warm upper air.

image.thumb.png.8a502b08a0b388647ffd2ad7b65e1d5f.pngimage.thumb.png.67f7c525d03452382b7895fd2e5c0361.png

This would certainly be 'faux' cold...Very, very, very faux, in fact::help::gathering:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

All will be forgiven Winter 2019/20 if you deliver on these warnings! Severe gales, snow and lightning will do!  

Saturday:

16CA5E98-EB9C-458A-AB62-C11C81B461F3.thumb.png.98496cdd8619beeb17d7e33dd896a515.png7E0DFAA6-AA3D-4349-8AAF-B04FF35E5C7A.thumb.png.26fd17a261a7afa9b145bb6650c3ebf0.png

Sunday:

06C4BF96-FE15-401D-B179-CCF242375693.thumb.png.0d96c85b91095779901cd4d392e9d2b7.png9E47777E-0D71-40F8-AAF8-74F758585094.thumb.png.60575727d5b4bb677019dfe961f39c78.png

Tuesday:

EC7AB9B9-5DA2-4282-B634-3B90065D3DB7.thumb.png.cd4412fd523e647bc2be7562525cce9b.pngA75EAB30-48D3-4CEC-B3D9-400A73ED94A4.thumb.png.78ccbb55a17f5aa187b5c43a881acd91.png

Now that is what I call...interesting weather! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Oh joy - snow showers over high ground in mid-winter, who'd have thunk it?! 

What about the 99% of us who don't live on a hill? 

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Oh joy - snow showers over high ground in mid-winter, who'd have thunk it?! 

What about the 99% of us who don't live on a hill? 

With the way this Winter has gone even snow showers over higher ground have been less frequent than usual around here.

Will take blizzards/lightning over 150/200 meters no problem! 
I am based at sea level but luckily hills/mountains surround me and are easy access/quick to reach. 
Looks a lovely Spring like day in Cambridge on Tuesday currently so it’s not all bad! 

Looks as though you will see 55/60 mph gusts on Sunday so if you like extreme weather that’s also a bonus. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 hours ago, knocker said:

They thought it was all over............................it is now

ecmwf-seasonal-monthly_avgs-avg-eur-t2m_c_anom_month_mostrecent-0515200.thumb.png.c821592e893b104b3696c5be54704762.png

Another OTT ecm map, the temperatures in Northern scandinavia are far lower at present than that chart would have you believe. 

Edit... But I would have to agree its warmer up there than you would expect.. The rest of the chart paints a very accurate picture for Europe and the UK unfortunately. 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Another OTT ecm map, the temperatures in Northern scandinavia are far lower at present than that chart would have you believe. 

Way above average up there temperature wise...but that stills means absolutely freezing and covered in snow! 

E61B6E8F-9437-4CDE-AB7A-7F6B50F3BDC4.thumb.png.497154cbc7a573de76e066cbb6c6d30f.png1281898C-BF51-4D7C-ABDB-D74DC5B5F770.thumb.gif.0fa2a741aa77d05c572a68e8bcbfb99c.gif

Dream Winter destination for any cold/snow lover! 

Meanwhile in the UK/Ireland we have to climb 100/200 meters hills and above in search for a snowflake this Winter! 

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

It's not OTT - In can be 2-3c above normal in Northern Scandi and still be well below freezing. Doesn't make that chart wrong i'm afraid!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

With the way this Winter has gone even snow showers over higher ground have been less frequent than usual around here.

Will take blizzards/lightning over 150/200 meters no problem! 
I am based at sea level but luckily hills/mountains surround me and are easy access/quick to reach. 
Looks a lovely Spring like day in Cambridge on Tuesday currently so it’s not all bad! 

Looks as though you will see 55/60 mph gusts on Sunday so if you like extreme weather that’s also a bonus. 

It's been a lovely spring day here since November....groundhog day!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It's not OTT - In can be 2-3c above normal in Northern Scandi and still be well below freezing. Doesn't make that chart wrong i'm afraid!

I get your point, I misread the map as it being several degrees above freezing persistently! Yeh it's still cold up there, but nothing like as severe has it could be. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, General Cluster said:

This would certainly be 'faux' cold...Very, very, very faux, in fact::help::gathering:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Yeah, if you put the aircon on!

Posted

metoffice going for frequent snow, lightning and strong winds in the North .. Monday and Tuesday. .. Just put that into context.. 
if your power goes out on Sunday.. and the weather is as currently forecast.. in addition to the catapult of Low pressures.. which could vary significantly.. and Mondays former low pressure charts are just an example .. of how something so powerful disappeared seemingly in its entirety.. 

well any way.. it could be days or even a week before power is restored.. - I hope the measures are in place for Scottish and North England Residents.

• Like 2