Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, Don said:

Wonder if that will get sucked north later in the month like it did last February?

Interesting point Don, lots of warmth to the South gathering, and plenty of Cold bottled up to the North.. Potentially a very mild end to winter, with perhaps a greater risk of cold come March, no surprises there then... On a positive note mate, another 9 months and we will be counting down to the 20/21 season, surely to god it can't be any worse than this lame affair!

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Interesting point Don, lots of warmth to the South gathering, and plenty of Cold bottled up to the North.. Potentially a very mild end to winter, with perhaps a greater risk of cold come March, no surprises there then... On a positive note mate, another 9 months and we will be counting down to the 20/21 season, surely to god it can't be any worse than this lame affair!

The last thing I want to round off this dreadful winter is a taste of summer.  However, I wouldn't be at all surprised.  In fact I would say it is more likely than not!  I agree realistically we now have to pin our hopes on March for some cold weather, but not banking on it.  Winter 2020/21 certainly couldn't be any more snowless than this, but I fear we may have a similar winter due to climate change?!  I do hope not, though!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted

Seeing as this winter is another dud, can we have a time machine and go back to the 4th February 1895 to see what's coming towards us.

Screenshot_20200204_215952.jpg

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Valencia, Spain, hit 29.6C 85.28F this afternoon.

The last 4 days have been truly insane. Felt truly hot as it would during summertime. Concerns me that this is becoming more and more common though, Global Warming in effect.

Posted
3 minutes ago, 95 Degrees said:

The last 4 days have been truly insane. Felt truly hot as it would during summertime. Concerns me that this is becoming more and more common though, Global Warming in effect.

Do you know what the previous January record was for Valencia?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C
2 minutes ago, Don said:

Do you know what the previous January record was for Valencia?

26.6C in January 2018, had this spell occured a week earlier that record would've gone too.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, 95 Degrees said:

26.6C in January 2018, had this spell occured a week earlier that record would've gone too.

Fairly recently then!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Summer would appear to be a bit early this year in southern Spain

EP9RnAZXsAMAvJ-.thumb.png.91edc69e63cbfb9ac1c950c79064c802.png

Looking toasty in chav central a.k.a Benidorm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I have just been on Facebook and all I have seen were newspaper articles (from our usual favourites) saying how it’s going to be around -10 and deep snow. I know it’s how they sell papers but do they have to do that????  The next week or so could be potentially interesting and I would take a bit of unusual weather over the crap we’ve had all winter. Chances are for where I am in the Deep South  that it will probably end up being slightly windy with cold heavy rain. If it ends up like today I will take it over the mess we call winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Valencia, Spain, hit 29.6C 85.28F this afternoon.

I’m guessing that’s a record? Ridiculous. Valencia only exceeds that as an average high in July and August so it is quite literally like a mid-summers day in what is essentially the middle of winter still.

Valencia is a beautiful city too btw, well worth a visit.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I've give up on this winter now. I want record breaking warmth and I am hopeful of recording my first ever snowless winter in my 44yrs on this planet. When people say this is just a normal british winter I say this is not normal. Europe has just recorded its warmest ever January. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers

I need some proper winter weather, hope this is it.Not seen a flake of snow yet. Snow drops up, bulbs stirring, all very welcome but not til ive seen winter

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just been out for a lunchtime stroll today....although it's only 8c, it feels fantastic. Light winds, sunny and the sun feeling that bit stronger.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

Wow, FOUR exclamation marks, Shaky!!  You must be excited!!  (Sorry, back to the models!)

I am dude!!!especially after the rubbish we have endured all winter!!i just think the north west is going to get pasted if the charts remain how they are right now!!northwestsnow has a point though i have seen just sleet with 850s of -7 but i guess other ingredients have to come together aswell!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

It is like someone flicked a switch as Winter started. 

Purely from a lover of cold/snow weather you just have to laugh about this Winter! 

Let’s go back to October 2019...UK mean temperature was 0.5C below average. (1981-2010 long-term average)

Great Autumn month IMBY with above average sunshine and below average rainfall.

C5021FFA-F4A2-41F5-90D1-615ECB100D33.thumb.gif.4d7fc2802dcaed9984294aca0c59a115.gif1DE598B0-0516-40C2-B6F2-CBB81CCD77AA.thumb.gif.cb1d7f53d30552abde32fa90277bd84d.gif76CA0618-B6CE-4473-801D-4AB811200725.thumb.gif.629033ed67d8c7c5b65bb117f7662c1f.gif

The month comes to an end and I’m starting to think...Winter could be great this year! 

Then November 2019 comes and goes...UK mean temperature 0.9 below average. (1981-2010 long-term average)

Another great Autumn month IMBY with above average sunshine and below average rainfall once again plus it was a very wintry feeling month.

82166A63-BC96-4810-A039-ED4A49400FB0.thumb.gif.02ef477c0a0c7678706d4e34091921c9.gifA9F935FF-2F65-4C27-B0AE-6FCE106BA39A.thumb.gif.f5e768e3deace221a8f457201e0b94f1.gif8DE4144B-854D-496F-AA03-03AD4720FA07.thumb.gif.945e95581c77e33957fb33abc5d7e0d7.gif

I am now thinking...here we go...December could be a great Winter month with spells of cold/snow at some stage! 

Then it all went down the toilet and I learned once again that a cold Autumn means diddly squat with regards to a cold early Winter! (Cold Winter in general)

December 2019

5A3952F6-B04E-4CAA-A413-DDF05C055A0B.thumb.gif.3c7b3f830498fe81bec391266f6acad1.gif544EB79F-72A3-4D09-997B-1C820DEFE906.thumb.gif.771df0d7f92356e147cda96d24086605.gif2CBCACDF-35EC-47C7-8602-062F819E4FA0.thumb.gif.3ad0f27b9226030ccea45ce81742b0d9.gif

January 2020

69CC9573-0F1A-4376-A049-A8E6825018A3.thumb.gif.4450caffc79027bd980c9aaaa9ec05e0.gif981B149B-2E59-486A-9257-7B9E3244334B.thumb.gif.a984b806390eb8b1b365cff554f57e41.gif9471A465-82E2-47DB-8DD0-0AB7FD9F684A.thumb.gif.7f70bac1a9d9d86d95fcaae69b07ece4.gif

February TBC (Another above average month no doubt)

Go away already Winter 2019/20! 

I sincerely hope we get a warm/sunny Spring and a hot/sunny/convective Summer! That would soften the blow of this abysmal Winter.

Have a good day everyone! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

February TBC (Another above average month no doubt)

Go away already Winter 2019/20! 

I sincerely hope we get a warm/sunny Spring and a hot/sunny/convective Summer! That would soften the blow of this abysmal Winter.

Have a good day everyone! 

I think this will become more common due to the late forming Polar Vortex due to increased Arctic ice loss. Our best chance of proper cold will be at the end of Autumn and start of Spring with the Winter months essentially a second Autumn.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I think this will become more common due to the late forming Polar Vortex due to increased Arctic ice loss. Our best chance of proper cold will be at the end of Autumn and start of Spring with the Winter months essentially a second Autumn.

And this is something I’ll never understand - why the PV should get stronger as arctic ice decreases. I’m still at a loss as to why the the PV loves Greenland so much.

Posted
17 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Summer would appear to be a bit early this year in southern Spain

EP9RnAZXsAMAvJ-.thumb.png.91edc69e63cbfb9ac1c950c79064c802.png

Amazing! It is only a week or so ago it was being hit by a storm, heavy rain, cold temps, snow inland. The heat is building early to the South, although the coming week looks a bit more 'normal' down there.

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, MP-R said:

And this is something I’ll never understand - why the PV should get stronger as arctic ice decreases. I’m still at a loss as to why the the PV loves Greenland so much.

With regards your first point about a stronger PV even though arctic ice has decreased, could it be that's it is stronger but within a smaller area, in other words the polar vortex is impacting less of the Northern hemisphere which is born out by record Winter temperatures across many areas of the mid to higher latitudes.

For the second part about Greenland being a natural home to the PV, that may be because Greenland sits to the East of a large continent which turns very cold from early Winter and with a West to East jetstream there is a tendency to see why the PV pools in that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
52 minutes ago, shaky said:

I am dude!!!especially after the rubbish we have endured all winter!!i just think the north west is going to get pasted if the charts remain how they are right now!!northwestsnow has a point though i have seen just sleet with 850s of -7 but i guess other ingredients have to come together aswell!!

It's been the worst period of model watching since I joined six or seven years ago.  I've seen nothing to even make me hint to friends and work colleagues that there's anything exciting around the corner.  It really comes to something when I'm getting excited about a bit of wind!

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

It's been the worst period of model watching since I joined six or seven years ago.  I've seen nothing to even make me hint to friends and work colleagues that there's anything exciting around the corner.  It really comes to something when I'm getting excited about a bit of wind!

Precisely!!defo up there as one of the worst winters ever if not the worst!!!not seen a boring winter like this since the 90s and even back then we would get a dusting at the very leastif february is snowless here too then i will officialy say its the worst winter ever that ive witnessed!!

Edited by shaky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
7 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

Depends if you are a coldy (which I am) but it had been fascinating in many ways due to the very different overall pattern and overriding of many teleconnections. As for next week...possibly a bit more than "a bit of wind"

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Just checking. If there is a ukmo red alert for high winds are the schools forced to close or is it up to individual ones to decide?
Asking because we in Slovakia have a red wind warning today in many regions and few hours ago wind blew down a metal bus stop that killed a 4 year old child with another one being in critical condition. Thnx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Purely from a lover of cold/snow weather you just have to laugh about this Winter! 

Let’s go back to October 2019...UK mean temperature was 0.5C below average. (1981-2010 long-term average)

Great Autumn month IMBY with above average sunshine and below average rainfall.

The month comes to an end and I’m starting to think...Winter could be great this year! 

Then November 2019 comes and goes...UK mean temperature 0.9 below average. (1981-2010 long-term average)

Another great Autumn month IMBY with above average sunshine and below average rainfall once again plus it was a very wintry feeling month.

I am now thinking...here we go...December could be a great Winter month with spells of cold/snow at some stage! 

Then it all went down the toilet and I learned once again that a cold Autumn means diddly squat with regards to a cold early Winter! (Cold Winter in general)

December 2019

Funny how things change with location.

October/November 2019 here were the two worst months I've ever recorded - constant heavy or even torrential rain all of the two months with severe flooding and our wettest autumn on record. Add the cold to all that constant rain and it was thoroughly miserable. December/January have been much better here, drier than average and much sunnier than November which recorded a paltry 29 hrs at the local weather station in Sheffield.

• Like 2