Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Had some thunder and lightning tonight, very unusual occurrence in winter around here. Didn’t even believe my eyes at first until the thunder started rolling.

Lots of hail smashing against the windows.

Posted
16 hours ago, Don said:

It won’t come July with temps potentially mid-40’s in those regions and very high 30’s for the UK.

sounds lovely tbf.

Hoping for a hot summer with record breaking heat!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
13 minutes ago, Azazel said:

sounds lovely tbf.

Hoping for a hot summer with record breaking heat!

I'd settle for a warm/hot summer, doesn't need to be a record breaker this time! Last year was rubbish on the whole, that 38.7c just masked some really poor weather, especially early June which was the worst summer period i can ever remember. 4 days of 9-11c max temps in June.....*shudder*

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I'd settle for a warm/hot summer, doesn't need to be a record breaker this time! Last year was rubbish on the whole, that 38.7c just masked some really poor weather, especially early June which was the worst summer period i can ever remember. 4 days of 9-11c max temps in June.....*shudder*

Yeah I was only being semi-serious - however if I actually worked in an air conditioned office I wouldn't mind! A summer like 2018 which wasn't overbearingly hot but with more thunderstorms mixed in would be absolutely perfect.

That early June spell was among the most diabolical weather relative to time of year I've experienced in this country. I had to drive my girlfriend to hospital and it was terrifying on the A34. So much spray you could barely see and wrapped up in my winter coat - in June!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Though you could, of course, turn that around, and say that all-time highs are no-longer reserved for long, hot summers...?

How hot might things have got, had those 23Cish uppers had 5-days' stagnation time, languishing over the UK?

• Like 1

Posted

Back to winter and finally some lying snow in central and south-central Sweden; many places for the first time since December, a few for the first time this winter:

Snow depths 0600

Not everywhere got it, all the coastal areas got nothing including Stockholm, also the inland eastern half above about 58.5N seems to have missed out, as did a few places near those that got some. 1-5 cm generally, but Boras got lucky and ended up with 20cm even though just 25km down the road at Bollebygd only 3cm.

Temperatures 0700

But already starting to rise above freezing in much of the affected area, even before sunrise....

Posted
4 hours ago, Donegal said:

"The UK's highest-ever temperature has been officially recorded in Cambridge, the Met Office has confirmed. Cambridge University Botanic Garden measured 38.7C (101.7F) on Thursday beating the previous UK record of 38.5C (101.3F), set in Kent in 2003."

https://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/

Screenshot_20200204_033814.jpg

Not exactly central London now is it. 

Just 0.2c higher than 2003.

Back to winter whoever started the summer topic is to blame changing subjects.

Bring it on cold zonality.

image.thumb.png.c7d73555e31fd45ff0e72eab37f397ff.png

Posted

Can guarantee we will get monster northern blocking from April to August. What a horrible rut we have got in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Extremely windy overnight and now.  Wheelie bins and contents blowing down the road. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

That low on Sunday/Monday reminds me of this monster

The main trouble is Monday into Tuesday. I think we're in for trouble if it verifies. 

• Like 2

Posted

Was talking to a friend and having a general moan about things and he said 'well at least it hasn't been a bad winter'. I said 'no, it's been ****ing s***'

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, philglossop said:

That low on Sunday/Monday reminds me of this monster

The main trouble is Monday into Tuesday. I think we're in for trouble if it verifies. 

909mb? Surely that was a bit of an exaggeration. This article reckons it was between 912 and 915 at the lowest. 

RMETS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Most of the ECM ensembles take the storm further north . It’s notable that the lowest pressure readings are reserved for the far north of Scotland .

This is both good and bad news. Less impact for the vast majority of the public but for snow lovers the mild sector is going to be well to the north .

In other words the 'boring' option for us weather lovers or lovers of weather extremes - but that's how it's been going generally all this winter...

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

In other words the 'boring' option for us weather lovers or lovers of weather extremes - but that's how it's been going generally all this winter...

It depends what you mean by boring .

I’m happy to be bored if I was still living in the UK that meant missing the storm ! I like extremes heat and cold and of course snow , but storms do nothing for me . The two big ones down here ended up with days without power. 

Mid winter with no power or heating and bored to tears doesn’t float my boat . I accept others might have a different view re seeing a storm .

Impossible to say what this storm will do at this stage given the timeframes involved .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It depends what you mean by boring .

I’m happy to be bored if I was still living in the UK that meant missing the storm ! I like extremes heat and cold and of course snow , but storms do nothing for me . The two big ones down here ended up with days without power. 

Mid winter with no power or heating and bored to tears doesn’t float my boat . I accept others might have a different view re seeing a storm .

Impossible to say what this storm will do at this stage given the timeframes involved .

The great Midlands blizzard of the 8th December 1990 meant there was no power though for many and many other snow events - Jan 1987 saw housewives in tears around where i lived because of burst pipes and heating breakdowns.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Having said that though Nick, i agree the number one buzz in life is snow chaos, nothing beats it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Funny that's the first storm i can remember too and i was also 8 at the time.More like 90mph where i am but still plenty of minor damage and intermittent power cuts during the night.The only one that's got to that level since was the Jan 3rd storm a few years back.

Like 99% of storms the ones during next week will likely be downgraded.I wouldn't take serious notice of the details until 3 days out and by then it'll likely be limited to 50-60mph and mostly affecting Scotland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Sunny spells and 9C today. Very pleasant indeed. As much as I like ‘exciting” weather I’d happily take days like this all winter long. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

I have no interest in windy weather, as it is not something you can actually see.

It's like having someone throwing your garden furniture around but you can't see who it is.

The worst bit of windy weather is having to rescue your wheely bin from where ever it has ended up.

Nearly 100% certain it will be a snowless winter for most with just 3-weeks of winter left, and no sign of any snow storms.

Edited by 'ColdIsBest'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!
12 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Back to winter and finally some lying snow in central and south-central Sweden; many places for the first time since December, a few for the first time this winter:

Snow depths 0600

Not everywhere got it, all the coastal areas got nothing including Stockholm, also the inland eastern half above about 58.5N seems to have missed out, as did a few places near those that got some. 1-5 cm generally, but Boras got lucky and ended up with 20cm even though just 25km down the road at Bollebygd only 3cm.

Temperatures 0700

But already starting to rise above freezing in much of the affected area, even before sunrise....

We also got 3-5cm yesterday night the first snowfall after Christmas. 

No sign of pattern change thought, I believe that we will smash all records of the mildest winter ever

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Summer would appear to be a bit early this year in southern Spain

EP9RnAZXsAMAvJ-.thumb.png.91edc69e63cbfb9ac1c950c79064c802.png

Wonder if that will get sucked north later in the month like it did last February?