Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Great fun  

Posted
5 hours ago, jules216 said:

Last of winter hooray here this morning, forecast is for 8 to 10C tomorrow and Sunday which will melt most of our precious snow that fell in Tuesday, perhaps chance of few cm next week on Wednesday and that will be it for winter most likely

83106866_209073493598964_4879796070525173760_n.jpg

15C today in Bratislava. 

There's still plenty of whiteness above about 300m but the slush must be horrible there right now.

I don't know about anybody else but I need Michael Ventrice's magical record-breaking jet stream like a hole in the head. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

13c here today on this the last day of Jan, this winter couldn't be more depressing for winter lovers. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

What a Winter or should that be a second Autumn.

Lawn needs mowing now

I have been waiting for the ground to dry a little. May try tomorrow before more rain comes in Sunday. 

I think I would happily settle for a dry Bartlett high now if we can't get rid of that purple monster to our north. 

What a drap, grey wet season this is. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

What a Winter or should that be a second Autumn.

Lawn needs mowing now

I have been waiting for the ground to dry a little. May try tomorrow before more rain comes in Sunday. 

I think I would happily settle for a dry Bartlett high now if we can't get rid of that purple monster to our north. 

What a drap, grey wet season this is. 

I fear its the future.

We both been on here long enough to realize chasing cold or snow in winter is becoming more and more of a lost cause.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Normally I'm like, "huh, nevermind!", but I am actually really disappointed this year. I'm normally okay during snowless Winters that are frosty - i find it beautiful and a real signature of Winter, especially when it's on the ground for days. However, here in the badlands of Birmingham, we've probably achieved a handful of light frosts (nothing hard) and no air frosts.

It's just been so drab, so miserable, so cloudy, so grey. It's been bloody awful and I think it's the worst Winter I've experienced. People quote 2013/14 as being the worst but at least it had storms which were...fun. 

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, daz_4 said:

End of January and flies are buzzing outside. What a disaster this winter is.

A couple of days ago, I took a picture of a butterfly that flew inside the house.

Today, on a trip to a nearby village, I noted13C on the car display.

Last week, the geese that winter around these parts, suddenly left. Historically they tend to leave early spring.

Absolutely bonkers winter.

Here's a current webcam image from upper mountain Cairngorm:

PtarmiganStation-full.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I fear its the future.

We both been on here long enough to realize chasing cold or snow in winter is becoming more and more of a lost cause.

Yes our Winters are milder compared to when I was at school in the early 1960's NWS. 

Snow and frosts more common then much less so now. 

I posted pretty much the same in the 1986/7 thread. 

I am sure we will some cold spells in future but the frequency of these becoming less. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Normally I'm like, "huh, nevermind!", but I am actually really disappointed this year. I'm normally okay during snowless Winters that are frosty - i find it beautiful and a real signature of Winter, especially when it's on the ground for days. However, here in the badlands of Birmingham, we've probably achieved a handful of light frosts (nothing hard) and no air frosts.

It's just been so drab, so miserable, so cloudy, so grey. It's been bloody awful and I think it's the worst Winter I've experienced. People quote 2013/14 as being the worst but at least it had storms which were...fun. 

Yep, it's not the lack of snow that makes this winter so awful, it's just that it's so non-descript. People recall 2013/14 because of just how stormy it was. But other than constant slate grey skies and diurnal ranges of 2-3c, I am struggling to think of one feature to remember this winter by. It really has been a nothing season.

Bring on the first high-teens temperatures of March.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Interitus said:

There, fixed it for you.

As I've got a road trip around northwestern Scotland at the end of Feb, I'm hoping to see at least SOME snow! But I wouldn't mind some ridiculous warmth like we had last year.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yep, it's not the lack of snow that makes this winter so awful, it's just that it's so non-descript. People recall 2013/14 because of just how stormy it was. But other than constant slate grey skies and diurnal ranges of 2-3c, I am struggling to think of one feature to remember this winter by. It really has been a nothing season.

Bring on the first high-teens temperatures of March.

What makes it even worse is that last winter was more or less exactly the same. Grey and dull just about sums it up. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, trickydicky said:

What makes it even worse is that last winter was more or less exactly the same. Grey and dull just about sums it up. 

We did at least get a reasonable snow event down here (on this day last year weirdly enough). Even the worst winters of the mid-2000s mustered a snow event at some point. Not this wretched excuse of a season.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

So this January’s chat has gone from the top three warmest...then it was top five...now it is top ten? What number is it!? 

I wonder what cold/snow lovers in January 1916 were saying about future cold spells? 

Parts of the UK have been drier/sunnier this month compared to the 1981-2010 average. (Very jealous of those folk - distinct lack of sunshine here as you can see on the Met Office map above)

So not a bad month really if you live in those areas!

Be interesting to hear/see what the weather in February 1916 was like? @Weather-history could you please kindly furnish us with such information if you have time?

Looking forward to seeing the January Met Office stats when they are released over the next few days - frost-free January for the first time in places seals the fate of this crud Winter month from a cold point of view!  

Edit: Quick search can’t see anything for February 1916 - March 1916 was an interesting month though. (Information from premium weatherweb)

6F280DB9-4DD4-4ADC-B353-9627821AB2AE.thumb.png.0210b8322cfa6292501e48cc3e716c89.png

Good times for snow/cold lovers in general it seems after a barren decade/period beforehand for snowy/cold weather.  (Information from Netweather)

E3D411B6-27BE-4EC5-90ED-B718246C17DE.thumb.png.ff2c7ea4de0b7413f9e6da05c9985b77.png

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

This is truly remarkable

I thought it had snowed the last couple of days? 
That guy is very Pro climate change...

This from the former Prime Minister of New Zealand (Helen Clark) and another person...many more if you search.

BBA736C9-ACE0-4620-8467-F642189EB215.thumb.png.00ce548f0345473ac2997a29f3c68eef.png

So the not one snowflake in January part is a load of tosh.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

London will end up slightly drier and cloudier than average for January. December was a lot wetter and slightly sunnier than average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I thought it had snowed the last couple of days? 
That guy is very Pro climate change...

This from the former Prime Minister of New Zealand (Helen Clark) and another person...many more if you search.

So the not one snowflake in January part is a load of tosh.

It was also snowing or had recently snowed heavily when I was at gardermoen on 14th January.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

This is truly remarkable

Add Stockholm and Helsinki to that at least for the snow bit.

Posted

Just thought I would let the good people know how the UK is doing for snow this winter. My observations are thus: 

So, as we wind up January and head off into the last month of the meteorological winter, how has the UK been doing for snow? Well for December we had 28 snow days out of the possible 31, and for January, we had 26 out of 31, and of 3 of those none snow days, a high pressure area sat over the UK so no precipitation fell.

It could be said then, that of 28 days of possible wintry precipitation, the UK received snow on 26 of those 28 for January.

Therefore out of a possible 59 days of precipitation, (62 days months total) the UK saw 54 days where it snowed, despite it being "mild" east of a line from Exeter to the Wash. It will be interesting to see how our Met Office and the media report our weather this winter won't it?

1st of February will continue where January left off.

Happy February folks!

PS: Well done to the Netweather guys for getting their 7 and 14 day forecast charts pretty much spot on for snow risks to the UK.

Edited by OldBloke

Posted
53 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

This is truly remarkable

On January 11th Oslo recorded a minus 4.2 and on the 10th recorded a minus 4.3. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

He's obviously talking about daytime maxes below 0 - which looks to be accurate (the average January high there is -2).

Climate change isn't an opinion - it's fact!