Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
14 hours ago, cheese said:

Yes very unusual. Didn’t realise how few poor it had been. Leeds city centre did have two frost-free months in 1990 - Jan and Feb - but not since then. It’s obviously highly urbanised though with ever-increasing development so they’ll probably become more common in the future.

We’ve probably been lucky with the rain. 

Has double digit maxima exceed the number of days in October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just had a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder at the office. So this winter hasn't mustered up any snow, but has managed lightning. Alright!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 hours ago, Interitus said:

More than a bit harsh, he has completed his masters and is half way to his PhD and is a published researcher alongside well known meteorologists (with particular regard to the stratosphere) such as Amy Butler, Andrew Charlton-Perez and Jason Furtado, and has a paper currently in review co-authored by sometime contributor to the strat thread Zac Lawrence (curator of stratobserve.com). His tweets are some of the more interesting out there and a world apart from some of the popular uninformed drivel which frequently graces these forums!

Ah wasn't aware, not had much to do with Simon but met him a couple of times. In which case, I'll upgrade my "bit harsh" to completely uncalled for.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
18 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Ah wasn't aware, not had much to do with Simon but met him a couple of times. In which case, I'll upgrade my "bit harsh" to completely uncalled for.

Listening to actual experts is so last century.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

11 air frosts here nothing below -2c though.

2018 are you sure thats 2 years ago the whole season gave a magnificent 47 air frosts some extremely severe with that mighty BEAST FROM THE EAST.

I was talking about January - Just one frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Has double digit maxima exceed the number of days in October.

No, but it has exceeded November.

Posted

January 2018 had some higher daytime temps than this year for my location,

but on average it was 1.3°C colder @4.5°C, than this year average 5.8°C.

The end of February 2018 it did become very cold, so maybe we have to wait until end of Feb this year for some proper cold weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
19 hours ago, reef said:

Just two air frosts here too and they were a feeble -0.4C and -0.5C. All in all, it's been below freezing for barely 5 hours this month.

It's looking like a sunny month for us however. We need just 18hrs more to break the record and that'll get a huge bite out of it today.

Leeming is on 120% for sun this month interestingly enough, so for this part of the country January looks like being mild, dry and sunny. I don’t mind that at all tbh. In general I think we’ve done well for sun in recent years, especially in winter and spring.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Surprisingly had a sleety snow flurry here... albeit it was a very very very very light one. The clouds looked really broken up overhead, so was astounded to see anything falling at all. The first teeny bit of wintry weather have had so far this Winter.

Posted

M74 closed by snow overnight between J15 and J16. I once drove back from Glasgow airport at 2am and the clear motorway turned completely white as we went uphill in heavy snow (no wind, big flakes). It was an eerie experience, like driving through fog, at around 15-20mph, dead quiet, with no other cars at all, and being unable to tell where the lanes were so I just drove on the left side of middle. It felt even odder when I passed a car facing backwards in a field. When we got to Beattock Summit at the top, it was clear and remained so all the way home.

WWW.DAILYRECORD.CO.UK

Major routes, including the M8 motorway between Edinburgh and Glasgow, have been affected this morning.

Posted

It’s just snowed here too albeit not settled. That brings it on par with 2014 which only had one shower that did not settle, my least snowy winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Had a sleepless night so experienced quite a few squally hailstorms, but no visible snow.

Posted

Video of snow in west of Ireland by joujoujou, boards.ie. There was 10cm at Knock airport overnight. 

Snow dying out now or returning to sleet and rain across the country. 

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Here comes our easterly, snow showers moving in there from the north sea.

No body tell Steve Murr. I don't think he can take another Easterly fail!

• Like 3

Posted

As excited as your all getting (the uppers are good) the flow is pretty slack. Unless your in a coastal county i doubt the 48 hour easterly will do much for you. 

I would also add that the GFS operations have had a much higher amplitude phase 3 MJO orbit relative to the ensembles which may be a contributor. 

Posted
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

As excited as your all getting (the uppers are good) the flow is pretty slack. Unless your in a coastal county i doubt the 48 hour easterly will do much for you. 

I would also add that the GFS operations have had a much higher amplitude phase 3 MJO orbit relative to the ensembles which may be a contributor. 

Bump!  For the likes of me it will be easterly, what easterly?!   However, at least I can now say  I have seen snow this winter, albeit just a smattering this morning.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Approaching February and still no snow (or even sleet) in the SE.

Oh well - at least the days are getting longer. Summer soon! 

• Like 1