Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted

Core depths of winter right now, yet it feels like the start of the school summer holidays - how quiet it is in the forum.. it should be buzzing.. at this time of year when far more people tend to be stuck inside in the dark dreary january evenings.. a sign of how non-descript things are at present.

One omni-present feature of recent winters, since at least 15/16 has been the N Pacific high, yet again it is there this winter, what is causing it.. the warm SST values in the region, is this tied in with the PDO.. all it seems to do is fire the jet, and cause low pressure to steam out of USA seaboard.. 

What factors will help prevent it from rearing itself again next winter? I think this feature combined with the IOD have dominated proceedings this winter, given how muted and ineffectual other factors seem to be.. 

I'm feeling a bit deflated today, kind of just want to get this 'winter' out of the way, and fast forward to April. Not feeling it this year at all. (I'll be positive again soon!)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, cheese said:

There’s really no good excuse for the UK (and Ireland too for that matter) having a higher winter mortality rate than countries with significantly colder winters.

I totally agree with that but as with everything it comes down to spending,spending on infrastructure to cope with both hot as well as cold conditions. we are stuck in the void between the 2,neither hot or cold on a regular basis hence lack of investment. 

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

I totally agree with that but as with everything it comes down to spending,spending on infrastructure to cope with both hot as well as cold conditions. we are stuck in the void between the 2,neither hot or cold on a regular basis hence lack of investment. 

We should be better equipped for the cold IMO. Houses in this country are mainly designed to keep the heat in as we are cool/cold for a good chunk of the year. Extreme summer heat causes issues as most people don't have air conditioning and struggle to cool down. 

Posted
18 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.84169f7cfdfbef36b4a70232c0ff8411.png

Look at the state of that!

That only goes as far as 2000,the seas have been getting warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
17 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

That only goes as far as 2000,the seas have been getting warmer.

I dread to think what that chart will show once its updated to 2020!

Posted
Just now, snowray said:

I dread to think what that chart will show once its updated to 2020!

That chart goes out to 2019,it was published last week by the Met Office. 

• Like 1

Posted

Matt Hugo saying that the Mountain Torque measurements are off the scale, yet having ZERO impact on the rampant polar vortex. 

It makes you wonder why we bother measuring such things and other things such as the strength of solar output, as neither of them appear to have any influence on getting proper cold into here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
19 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

That chart goes out to 2019,it was published last week by the Met Office. 

So it is up to date, thanks for the info.

I wonder what chances are of it dipping back down again in the next few years, as others have said just need a few big volcanoes going off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The long evenings and BBQ's are just around the corner, thankfully. Uk winters are such a waste of time.

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I think this non-descript week may just help 2019/20 clinch the title of worst winter I've ever had the misfortune to experience, unless February pulls a miracle out of its backside.

Yes, plenty run it close over the last 30 years but if the model projections are correct and this rumbles on through Feb as all indicators suggest, then it will be the worst ever.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
12 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

The long evenings and BBQ's are just around the corner, thankfully. Uk winters are such a waste of time.

I'm not a huge summer fan but even I'm clamouring for the first pleasantly warm spring days now. You just know it will go annoyingly and pointlessly cold late March and early April though 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

I'm not a huge summer fan but even I'm clamouring for the first pleasantly warm spring days now. You just know it will go annoyingly and pointlessly cold late March and early April though 

I'm expecting snow in March lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I'm expecting snow in March lol

Beware the Ides of Smarch!:help:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Well I've seen 3-4 frost's this winter and not one wintry shower.thats pretty incredible for here .I remember in late November one or two respected members going for winter touch down mid december.it then became early mid January and now it's sounding like march ?I guess the meto have been spot on altho we are in I suppose normal default situation .roll on a nice warm spring and put this winter to bed 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Beware the Ides of Smarch!:help:

Yes smarch is fast approaching and it brings with it much smarchiness

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Yes smarch is fast approaching and it brings with it much smarchiness

With lots of Columbian Smarching Powder? ?️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
15 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

And  - 27c in 1995

And  - 24c in 2010

Much more recent. 

Interesting reading the monthly summaries on the Met Office and Met Eireann sites, all the way back to the 50s.

Not much has changed. Several long stretches of successive winters, most of the 70s for example l, without any severe cold.

2010 minimum was -22.3 deg not -24deg.

No severe cold in the 70s?

1970 -21.1 Carnwath (Strathclyde), West Linton (Borders) 7 January

1971 -12.8 Braemar 4 January

1972 -18.5 Moorhouse (Cumbria) 31 January

1973 -21.2 Carnwath (Strathclyde) 15 February

1974 -10.2 Lagganlia (Highland) 14 February

1975 -11.4 Balmoral 8 February

1976 -16.2 Carnwath (Strathclyde) 5 December

1977 -18.7 Lagganlia (Highland) 17 January

1978 -22.0 Keith (Grampian) 20 February

1979 -24.6 Carnwath (Strathclyde) 13 January

4 years with sub -20 deg,there have only been 3 in the last 25 years!

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Just looking at the solar analogues for top 20 spotless years and the only one close is the winter of 1877. That had a very mild February but a cold March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just as I feared. The high slipping away and the grey damp Atlantic air takes over - yuk! 

Thoroughly depressing after a couple of bright days with early frosts. 

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 hours ago, swfc said:

Well I've seen 3-4 frost's this winter and not one wintry shower.thats pretty incredible for here .I remember in late November one or two respected members going for winter touch down mid december.it then became early mid January and now it's sounding like march ?I guess the meto have been spot on altho we are in I suppose normal default situation .roll on a nice warm spring and put this winter to bed 

Its no different to last year from the Met though! First it was mid December, then pushed out to late December, then mid January, followed by mid to late January, and then a big early February! Then they got bored of issuing it and reverted back to the norm! I take my hat off to the ones who put there credentials on the line by making such a brave winter forecast of cold, especially being as the LRF were having non of it! My only concern would be this... The cold forecasts they issued... Was this a forecast of what they were really hoping for, rather than what was likely... Crewe cold is a big winter lover, but he was still brave enough to call it as he thought was most likely, rather than what he wanted to see. But credit to everyone who makes the call and obviously they put alot of work and effort into making these forecasts. It's probably obvious now that many did not take into account the IOD situation! Perhaps tamara had some idea on this when she made her early season call! It would certainly be good to hear her thoughts on this. Also I noticed catacol was much more subdued with regards to getting something really notable this winter than he was last year... Last year he was seriously disappointed by the way it turned out, but thus year he has been much more relaxed in his approach! So obviously he wasn't expecting to much to start with, but like he said recently, a bad winter is surely just around the corner now! Our just rewards will come.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

The fact that Monday's sunrise has been the highlight of the winter so far for me pretty much sums up how awful this 'winter' has been up until this point.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
49 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Its no different to last year from the Met though! First it was mid December, then pushed out to late December, then mid January, followed by mid to late January, and then a big early February! Then they got bored of issuing it and reverted back to the norm! I take my hat off to the ones who put there credentials on the line by making such a brave winter forecast of cold, especially being as the LRF were having non of it! My only concern would be this... The cold forecasts they issued... Was this a forecast of what they were really hoping for, rather than what was likely... Crewe cold is a big winter lover, but he was still brave enough to call it as he thought was most likely, rather than what he wanted to see. But credit to everyone who makes the call and obviously they put alot of work and effort into making these forecasts. It's probably obvious now that many did not take into account the IOD situation! Perhaps tamara had some idea on this when she made her early season call! It would certainly be good to hear her thoughts on this. Also I noticed catacol was much more subdued with regards to getting something really notable this winter than he was last year... Last year he was seriously disappointed by the way it turned out, but thus year he has been much more relaxed in his approach! So obviously he wasn't expecting to much to start with, but like he said recently, a bad winter is surely just around the corner now! Our just rewards will come.

The met forecast quite a cold snowy winter on there forecast and Wasa bust.im not sure there's anypoint in labouring the point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It's a strange old winter.

Miami had its coldest night last night since December 2010 with a low of 4.4c. It's that cold iguana's are falling out of the trees.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

The fact that Monday's sunrise has been the highlight of the winter so far for me pretty much sums up how awful this 'winter' has been up until this point.

Good to see you post again Quicksilver, I was only wandering the other day how quite you had been on the model thread! I take it nothing about this winter has really come as a suprise to you mate. Any thoughts on the the final 3rd?

• Like 1