Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
8 hours ago, knocker said:

I see the cold coven are predictable getting a tad emotive at the likely demise of the settled spell and a return to wet and windy

Absolutely, I’ve still got pools of water at the bottom of my garden dating back to November. Ground is still so saturated that it only needs modest rainfall to flood my driveway and turn the surrounding fields into Vietnamese rice paddies, Suffice to say, the novelty of looking out at floodwater wore off months ago.

Posted
51 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Ready to start chasing some warmth now.. 

Its been an abismal winter apart from the suprise snowfall I had back in November. 

Were going through a period where northern blocking is becoming harder and harder to establish.. 

I can't remember the last time we had a proper battleground scenario, its been to long.

Low solar activity affecting our weather is another one off the list of positives in regards to promoting colder UK weather. 

Northern blocking seems to occur in spring and summer mind! 

Back to thoughts on the winter so far, the last 5 weeks have been very woeful has to be said for anyone wanting cold, snowy weather, however, the start of December was ok, and the period 11-19 Dec brought a bit of snowy interest here. 

I never discount chance of snow until well into April, in an average year, March is every bit as likely to deliver snow here as is December. Northerly and easterly airstream statistically more likely to happen from mid Feb until May. Yes springtime cold and snow is not to everyone's liking, but can be significant.

Hoping we can see at least some snow falling from the sky this January. Very rare not to see at least something falling from the sky in January.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

In a way this non-winter is even worse than the non-winter of 2013/14. At least in that one, the Scottish ski resorts had a huge dumping of snow. This one however has been a real dog egg. 

Glenshee was epic that winter. So much snow the tows were almost buried. 

Glenshee Caenlochan 28 Jan14.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
11 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Absolutely, I’ve still got pools of water at the bottom of my garden dating back to November. Ground is still so saturated that it only needs modest rainfall to flood my driveway and turn the surrounding fields into Vietnamese rice paddies, Suffice to say, the novelty of looking out at floodwater wore off months ago.

Plenty of the fields alongside the roads were I cycle haven't drained since autumn.....and parts of a local bridleway are more like a river.....

Whilst I prefer seasonal weather, it's got to the point were I'd be quite happy with a spell of dry weather, even if it meant more mild.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

It has been an absolute bloody shocker. In fact it beats last year which was dire in itself. I honestly didn't think it possible. Then typically., the met call it right when they said mild. Understatement. 

A complete yawn fest was winter 16/17 we didn't have much weather to speak of at all that year, just one snowfall I think- but can't remember, it was dry and devoid of anything.. at least this winter so far has seen a bit more 'weather' to speak of.

Also winter 15/16 another shocker for cold and snowy weather, one snowfall only on the 16th Jan, after an exceptionally mild first half. Feb brought some colder frosty weather but again snowless. 

Winter 13/14 was snowless in terms of mornings with snow cover.

Last winter again just one snowfall.

We have been dealt a very bad set of cards last few years - snowfall and cold wise.. Been here before winters 87-88 - 92/93 were also preety bad for snowfall, only winter 90-91 delivered..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

A complete yawn fest was winter 16/17 we didn't have much weather to speak of at all that year, just one snowfall I think- but can't remember, it was dry and devoid of anything.. at least this winter so far has seen a bit more 'weather' to speak of.

Also winter 15/16 another shocker for cold and snowy weather, one snowfall only on the 16th Jan, after an exceptionally mild first half. Feb brought some colder frosty weather but again snowless. 

Winter 13/14 was snowless in terms of mornings with snow cover.

Last winter again just one snowfall.

We have been dealt a very bad set of cards last few years - snowfall and cold wise.. Been here before winters 87-88 - 92/93 were also preety bad for snowfall, only winter 90-91 delivered..

Just shows the regional variation. Much preferred 16/17 down here - less Atlantic wind and rain dross, and plenty of frosty sunny weather in early and late December, and a large part of January. Even received a light dusting from the northerly mid month.

February was less interesting but at least attempted an easterly early on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Judah Cohen's latest blog mentioning the chance of a Canadian warming and referencing similarities with 2006/07 like @Glacier Point 

aer_logo_300x300.png
WWW.AER.COM

January 20, 2020 - Dr. Judah Cohen from Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) embarked on an experimental...

Posted
12 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Since when was the met office run by woke millenials? 

Its true the young generation are nesher than ever,I heard something on the bbc this morning slightly off topic,one of the major stores I`ve never heard of is closing down,and one young girl said I`d rather shop online because this weather is too cold to go out unbeilevable.

The older generation yes they certainly do feel the cold 80 years old and over

-1.2c last night but we get those sort of temps in april,and they say there cold with no wind.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Its true the young generation are nesher than ever,I heard something on the bbc this morning slightly off topic,one of the major stores I`ve never heard of is closing down,and one young girl said I`d rather shop online because this weather is too cold to go out unbeilevable.

-1.2c last night but we get those sort of temps in april,and they say there cold with no wind.

It must be true then?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

I can confirm that this applies two or three years younger than that. But the one advantage of advancing years, particularly in here, is that your bu*****t antennan gets honed to such perfection as to pick up the slightest nuance

• Like 6

Posted

The bit on the front page showing recent posts is depressing stuff this morning. Seen a few '-0.001, coldest night of the winter, hard frost' type posts. What a god awful depressing winter it is when you have to read/write that. Round here there was a decent amount of snow over 2000ft at the weekend but it mostly seems to have disappeared with the warm, moist, westerly waft coming in now. Tedious stuff.

• Like 3

Posted
10 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Man I'm bored.

Yes, me too.

You know its bad when there isn't even a sniff of virtual snow.

I suspect this horrendous PV sat like a limpet to our NW for over 3 months will vacate to Siberia come March/April.

Even the Turks who usually benefit from a +NAO pattern are mild, Istanbul looking at temps of 14 by wed/thur.

Further north into Poland is mild, temps of 5,6 and 7 in warsaw this week.

History books will say 2019/20 will be the year when Europe skipped winter, i suspect you have to back to 1988/89 when this last happened.

I really really hope we get a decent summer to compensate but i fear an abundance of Northern blocking ..

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
39 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes, me too.

You know its bad when there isn't even a sniff of virtual snow.

I suspect this horrendous PV sat like a limpet to our NW for over 3 months will vacate to Siberia come March/April.

Even the Turks who usually benefit from a +NAO pattern are mild, Istanbul looking at temps of 14 by wed/thur.

Further north into Poland is mild, temps of 5,6 and 7 in warsaw this week.

History books will say 2019/20 will be the year when Europe skipped winter, i suspect you have to back to 1988/89 when this last happened.

I really really hope we get a decent summer to compensate but i fear an abundance of Northern blocking ..

Only one day of the next 10-14 days is forecast to be below freezing in Moscow. It should be averaging at highs of -4c at this time of year, so seeing a stretch of days at 1-4c would be like seeing a week of 13-16c here in January. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Only one day of the next 10-14 days is forecast to be below freezing in Moscow. It should be averaging at highs of -4c at this time of year, so seeing a stretch of days at 1-4c would be like seeing a week of 13-16c here in January. 

Was it 1814 that was 'the year without a summer'? I think this last/the next 12 months could be considered the opposite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
4 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

But the "younger generation" don't issue these cold alerts - that's the fault of the met office, which isn't run by youngsters from what I can see.

You're blaming the wrong people for your frustrations! 

• Like 2

Posted

"Harsh" frost across the south last night - between 0 and -4..

You have to laugh! What a pathetic winter so far. 

• Like 5

Posted
45 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

But the "younger generation" don't issue these cold alerts - that's the fault of the met office, which isn't run by youngsters from what I can see.

You're blaming the wrong people for your frustrations! 

But it isn't cold for January, it's absolutely pathetic.

• Like 3

Posted

Wonder how many more weeks before a massive pattern change takes place and the majority of Europe goes bitterly cold.I have seen it before with minus 30 at the end of March in Sweden etc and sub-Zero in Mid March even here on the coast.I expect huge payback from this mildness over Europe.

That’s whats keeping my interest in the models and how long before they pick up on the change.

Its certainly been a tedious winter though chasing non existent cold for months.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, MikeC53 said:

But I think the assumption is that the younger generation feel colder and so cold alerts may be aimed at them, but statistically the elderly are more vulnerable to cold than the young. So cold alerts are aimed more at older rather than younger folks!

Posted

Dry sunny and cold with little wind....nice.

That's 4 days in a row below average for mid winter (CET) zone.

January 1916, your still the king.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, MikeC53 said:

More people die in the UK from cold-related issues than in Sweden even when taking population into account. This is largely because a lot of our homes are poorly insulated compared to Swedish homes. Even in a relatively mild winter you still have thousands of excess deaths, largely the elderly as you’d expect. Therefore it makes sense that the Met Office will issue a cold weather alert for a few chilly days.

Whether young people are used to cold weather or not is besides the point as they are generally healthy and fit enough to deal with it. People over 65 more often than not aren’t.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.84169f7cfdfbef36b4a70232c0ff8411.png

Look at the state of that!

Truly horrible mate! 

• Like 3