Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

Problem with GW is that U.K. has always been marginal for snow at low levels,so any slight increase in the annual temperature  due to GWwould impact the chances of snow at lower levels,and this is what is happening sad to say.

Doesnt effect countries like  Canada for example ,wehere the temp in winter is so cold that even the rise in temps there  over the decades of over 1.5c make no difference to getting snow or not.

Will soon have to fly abroad to see decent snow ,which is never the same,but no other option sadly.

Ironically places like Newfoundland which is experiencing some massive snowstorms will likely benefit from the strong winter PV.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Stick a fork in this ‘winter’ it’s done..

Yep I’m calling it. 

If I’m wrong, then everyone here can rip me to shreds and I’ll take it on the chin.

• Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ironically places like Newfoundland which is experiencing some massive snowstorms will likely benefit from the strong winter PV.

Just reading up on that. Amazing scenes, upto 3 ft in places, and all we ask here is maybe a couple of inches, lol. 

They get blizzards like Jan 1881 every winter there,a snow lovers paradise. 

Surely this wretched pattern will break soon... 

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
11 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Stick a fork in this ‘winter’ it’s done..

Yep I’m calling it. 

If I’m wrong, then everyone here can rip me to shreds and I’ll take it on the chin.

Of course, I called Jan as a dead duck weeks ago, i held out hope for Feb but the first of Feb now looks a complete write off.

The most wretched winter i can ever recall and i'm not far off 50 now.

One of the decreasing number of straws we have left to clutch is AMO ,we are due to see a switch in the next decade, or so i believe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'd never write anything more than a couple of weeks ahead off, as things can and do change quickly. It doesn't look at this stage like February will deliver much.....we can but hope though.

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I'd never write anything more than a couple of weeks ahead off, as things can and do change quickly. It doesn't look at this stage like February will deliver much.....we can but hope though.

Normally i would totally agree,however,

I think we can safely write off the next 3 to 4 weeks personally , but we live in hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
22 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The most wretched winter i can ever recall and i'm not far off 50 now.

2013/14 was worse...that was a no hoper completely thanks to a raging polar vortex particularly in Jan/feb, flooding, many grey days with the odd frost.

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Just got to accept it isn't happening this time round.

My fear is northern blocking is now becoming restricted to spring and summer ..and non existent in Autumn and winter.

If this is related to GW its just about the worst outcome for people like myself who enjoy seasonal weather.

But we haven't seen strong northern blocking in recent springs and summers! In fact, the last 2 years have produced some of the best summer weather I can remember for a long time. 

This winter for many has been excellent; lack of frosts and ice, meaning less hazardous driving conditions. Milder air meaning the central heating has not been on as much and being able to go on very pleasant long walks without feeling chilled to the bone. 

I for one hope that this is a continuation of a warming trend that makes our climate far more enjoyable; warmer summers, milder winters. Let's see if the Euro high can stick around for the next 6 weeks and it really will be a classic winter to remember!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
14 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

2013/14 was worse...that was a no hoper completely thanks to a raging polar vortex particularly in Jan/feb, flooding, many grey days with the odd frost.

That was indeed a worse winter but was also generally a sunny winter, much sunnier than January up to this point.

Posted

Apparently spring is forecast  to have similar pattern, can't see that myself. 

That would be six months in a row of strong polar vortex and those blasted heights in the South dominating our weather. 

Least its dry and sunny today, let's go and enjoy it and play some golf. 

And prey to the weather gods for a change in this diabolical pattern. 

PLEASE

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Problem with GW is that U.K. has always been marginal for snow at low levels,so any slight increase in the annual temperature  due to GWwould impact the chances of snow at lower levels,and this is what is happening sad to say.

Doesnt effect countries like  Canada for example ,wehere the temp in winter is so cold that even the rise in temps there  over the decades of over 1.5c make no difference to getting snow or not.

Will soon have to fly abroad to see decent snow ,which is never the same,but no other option sadly.

Which is why I've taken the decision to spend a fortnight each winter high up in the Alps; 2.000 meters ASL should do. 

I've found a nice place in Queyras where I'm heading for in February to find a decent accommodation for the future.

• Like 1

Posted
On 18/01/2020 at 21:33, AderynCoch said:

You should have told me you were coming. 

It's been snowing here since about 4pm today but there's only 1-2cm so far because the flakes are light. It will be interesting to see if it can keep sticking tomorrow because it's supposed to last all day.

Also interesting to see only Bratislava in Slovakia under a snow warning. Don't see that very often.

blank.thumb.png.e63dcf338332c49baef86f0fd704861a.png

Sorry for the late reply, cant believe I missed 2 cm of snow by hours!!   Anyway what a fantastic city you live in, feels totally safe, the people are lovely and no gangsters anywhere.  I dont know why I still live in London, the total opposite!!

Posted
31 minutes ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

But we haven't seen strong northern blocking in recent springs and summers! In fact, the last 2 years have produced some of the best summer weather I can remember for a long time. 

This winter for many has been excellent; lack of frosts and ice, meaning less hazardous driving conditions. Milder air meaning the central heating has not been on as much and being able to go on very pleasant long walks without feeling chilled to the bone. 

I for one hope that this is a continuation of a warming trend that makes our climate far more enjoyable; warmer summers, milder winters. Let's see if the Euro high can stick around for the next 6 weeks and it really will be a classic winter to remember!

There was plenty of northern blocking last summer which eventually caught up with us and the vast majority of Augusts have been poor for as long back as i can remember.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
27 minutes ago, Nath said:

Sorry for the late reply, cant believe I missed 2 cm of snow by hours!!   Anyway what a fantastic city you live in, feels totally safe, the people are lovely and no gangsters anywhere.  I dont know why I still live in London, the total opposite!!

Not been to Bratislava in about 25 years, nice place. But did you say you were robbed there in an earlier post?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
54 minutes ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

You obviously don't visit the model thread much if you think that many love this kind of weather! What a depressing thought... 9 months of Autumn, followed by a 3 month summer window! What's wrong with good old seasons.... Cold snaps and snow come winter, and decent warm spells come summer! To hope for a continuation of a warming trend in the hope it helps keep the heating bills down and a walk is more enjoyable, I find bizarre.. The prolonged effect of this warming trend will slowly but surely cause all kinds of mayhem around the globe in the future, and tbh the effects are already being felt in many continents!! Go and ask an aussie if they are happy with the ever warming climate, I no what answer you will get, not to mention the folks who are constantly flooded out!! The planet needs to be cooled ASAP. 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

You on obviously don't visit the model thread much if you think that many love this kind of weather! What a depressing thought... 9 months of Autumn, followed by a 3 month summer window! What's wrong with good old seasons.... Cold snaps and snow come winter, and decent warm spells come summer! To hope for a continuation of a warming trend in the hope it helps keep the heating bills down and a walk is more enjoyable, I find bizarre.. The prolonged effect of this warming trend will slowly but surely cause all kinds of mayhem around the globe in the future, and tbh the effects are already being felt in many continents!! Go and ask an aussie if they are happy with the ever warming climate, I no what answer you will get, not to mention the folks who are constantly flooded out!! The planet needs to be cooled ASAP. 

We need a few volcanoes simultaneously erupting!  

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, snowray said:

Not been to Bratislava in about 25 years, nice place. But did you say you were robbed there in an earlier post?

Robbed of seeing snow lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
7 minutes ago, Nath said:

Robbed of seeing snow lol

Ohh right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
17 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

You obviously don't visit the model thread much if you think that many love this kind of weather! What a depressing thought... 9 months of Autumn, followed by a 3 month summer window! What's wrong with good old seasons.... Cold snaps and snow come winter, and decent warm spells come summer! To hope for a continuation of a warming trend in the hope it helps keep the heating bills down and a walk is more enjoyable, I find bizarre.. The prolonged effect of this warming trend will slowly but surely cause all kinds of mayhem around the globe in the future, and tbh the effects are already being felt in many continents!! Go and ask an aussie if they are happy with the ever warming climate, I no what answer you will get, not to mention the folks who are constantly flooded out!! The planet needs to be cooled ASAP. 

Just because you find it bizarre, doesn't mean others do. This is a weather forum where members can discuss and enjoy any weather type, and nobody should be made to feel guilty for enjoying something that you don't.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Personally I think we concentrate far to much on background signals most of which are a fad in my opinion.

The list is endless, MJO, AO, NAO, SSTs, Moutain Torque, El Nino to name but a few and most of these have appeared in the last 10 years, did all these things really line up perfectly in 1963 or 1979 for 3 solid months?

Back then we just had the BDC, bloody damn cold!

Andy

Absolutely this post. There now seems to be a myriad of factors in order for it to get cold, one spoke in the wheel and we are done for it seems. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Just because you find it bizarre, doesn't mean others do. This is a weather forum where members can discuss and enjoy any weather type, and nobody should be made to feel guilty for enjoying something that you don't.

I wasn't having a pop at a member for not enjoying the cold, I'm aware we all have different tastes. I like winter cold and summer warmth for instance, which is pretty much all weather types! My point being was it was quite selfish to hope for a warming planet to continue!! This in itself will cause mass destruction. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Personally I think we concentrate far to much on background signals most of which are a fad in my opinion.

The list is endless, MJO, AO, NAO, SSTs, Moutain Torque, El Nino to name but a few and most of these have appeared in the last 10 years, did all these things really line up perfectly in 1963 or 1979 for 3 solid months?

Back then we just had the BDC, bloody damn cold!

Andy

BDC is the Brewer Dodson Circulation - its the transportation of ozone produced from the tropics to the poles.

• Like 2

Posted

Was looking over on TWO and it's now 24 years since the last mid winter easterly.

As my username indicates, I'm 66 years old and in the first 36 years of my life there was probably only one winter like this one. In the last 30 years there have been about 10.

• Like 5