Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Notwithstanding my laughing emoji though, there is a serious point here - we are told that these warnings are necessary because older people can die from even modest cold, fine but then the met office bloke on twitter goes mental when people on social media are calling it a cold spell - they cannot have it both ways.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

since November 1st I have had 2 days of snow falling each time appŕox 4cm snow fell. It is the worst winter I remember for snowfall here in Slovakia,we have plenty of inversion cold but thats it. No snow forecast for at least another 2 weeks with seasonals going for even milder February. Kudos to seasonal models, @Tamara and few others who didnt think blocking will be present,also Cohen did OK overseas. False signal caught many who believed jet stream would remain on southern trajectory in January which isnt the case,only trace precipitation here  in January so nothing managed go cross Euro high and will not do so until end of the month

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
36 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Has there ever been a more boring Winter? 

No, this is probably the quietest I’ve ever been on this forum, because from every angle this winter looked doomed until at least Jan & that’s progressed through January now.... so you can bet your bottom dollar, just as we want spring...... it’ll snow

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
38 minutes ago, jules216 said:

since November 1st I have had 2 days of snow falling each time appŕox 4cm snow fell. It is the worst winter I remember for snowfall here in Slovakia,we have plenty of inversion cold but thats it. No snow forecast for at least another 2 weeks with seasonals going for even milder February. Kudos to seasonal models, @Tamara and few others who didnt think blocking will be present,also Cohen did OK overseas. False signal caught many who believed jet stream would remain on southern trajectory in January which isnt the case,only trace precipitation here  in January so nothing managed go cross Euro high and will not do so until end of the month

give it another 10 years even Iceland will struggle for cold things are getting so bad.one euro Hp after another it seems now. model watching now is becoming pointless as most people would agree.as you can see from image its atrocious

gem-0-240.png

Edited by igloo
  • Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, jules216 said:

There's been plenty of blocking, but unfortunately it has been in the worst place possible for cold weather for the UK and much of Europe.

Winters like this one remind you why the Euro high is called 'the slug'.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Current snow conditions for Cairngorm and Lecht ski centres.

20200117_124514.jpg

20200117_101109.jpg

A few more winters like this and surely they are going to have to give up and be just club run tows like in the Lakes and Pennines?! That Lecht picture is pretty depressing! 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, reef said:

There's been plenty of blocking, but unfortunately it has been in the worst place possible for cold weather for the UK and much of Europe.

Winters like this one remind you why the Euro high is called 'the slug'.

Last year was a mediocre winter compared to average, but I was skating on frozen lake on the 20th of December, permanent snow cover between 5-10cm until early Feb. and at least 10 days of snowfall, it would still be classified as relatively mild and mediocre for our standards but compared to this year it was amazing. Inversion cold we got plenty but that is the worst type of weather you can imagine,very grey and temperatures between -6 and -2 forever. If you look at various skiing/biathlon world cup venues they are all slowness- Oberhof,Flachau,Innsbruck,Bormio,Ruhpolding etc etc. I have never seen this in my life in January through 30 years of following winter sports, commentators used to talk about meters of snow falling overnight before Kitzbuhel  downhill @carinthian would be able to verify

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

A few more winters like this and surely they are going to have to give up and be just club run tows like in the Lakes and Pennines?! That Lecht picture is pretty depressing! 

and it ain't even cold enough for artificial snow very sad state of affairs

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
19 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Last year was a mediocre winter compared to average, but I was skating on frozen lake on the 20th of December, permanent snow cover between 5-10cm until early Feb. and at least 10 days of snowfall, it would still be classified as relatively mild and mediocre for our standards but compared to this year it was amazing. Inversion cold we got plenty but that is the worst type of weather you can imagine,very grey and temperatures between -6 and -2 forever. If you look at various skiing/biathlon world cup venues they are all slowness- Oberhof,Flachau,Innsbruck,Bormio,Ruhpolding etc etc. I have never seen this in my life in January through 30 years of following winter sports, commentators used to talk about meters of snow falling overnight before Kitzbuhel  downhill @carinthian would be able to verify

I agree, inversion cold the worse. You just know it will not snow. At least the UK will get some variability despite the mildness. Most in the Great Europe plain have never seen such a snowless landscape for deep mid-winter ( just read the newspapers in Germany, Poland, low countries.) Even Stockholm Helsinki, Copenhagen and Helsinki mostly snowless so far.  This ranks as the worse ever regarding snow cover so far Lets hope February delivers.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Oh well, that’ll teach me for digging the sledge  out in November. I take full responsibility

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

this evening's ECM at least gives us a 24h colder spell before the slug moves back in.will take it as we may get nothing else for the next 4weeks.after the last slug

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-240.gif

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

I agree, inversion cold the worse. You just know it will not snow. At least the UK will get some variability despite the mildness. Most in the Great Europe plain have never seen such a snowless landscape for deep mid-winter ( just read the newspapers in Germany, Poland, low countries.) Even Stockholm Helsinki, Copenhagen and Helsinki mostly snowless so far.  This ranks as the worse ever regarding snow cover so far Lets hope February delivers.

C

It makes even the stretch of winters between 1989-1994 feel like a Little Ice age with comparison to this one @carinthian

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Current snow conditions for Cairngorm and Lecht ski centres.

20200117_124514.jpg

20200117_101109.jpg

Shocking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 hours ago, Donegal said:

Has there ever been a more boring Winter? 

Apart from the storms earlier in the week there's been nothing remotely interesting at all so far this winter.

Posted
50 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh well, that’ll teach me for digging the sledge  out in November. I take full responsibility

I suppose all we can do is laugh Karlos.

I feel sorry for the kids TBH - my love of snow was nurtured from a young age, staring out the window fixated with the new landscape and then off to the hills for sledging.

In many ways it brings back happy childhood memories for me, probably explains why i enjoy it so much.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Apart from the storms earlier in the week there's been nothing remotely interesting at all so far this winter.

As i said the other day,  in Hampshire you at least are compensated by decent summers.

We in the north west of England now get this crap all year round.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, not for the first-time this winter, I must be viewing different charts to what others are seeing!

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

As i said the other day,  in Hampshire you at least are compensated by decent summers.

We in the north west of England now get this crap all year round.

Sleet showing on the radar  for you   winter had arrived

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 hours ago, jules216 said:

Yes, the LRF models seem to have nailed it, what concerns me is there failure to get close when it's cold being predicted! It looks likely that only a major SSW could save us this winter, and after enduring 2 of them straight years running, the likelihood of a 3rd is remote. Don't get me wrong, another batch of cold winters will crop up, its the fact these batches are getting spaced further apart that concerns me. Good point on Tamara's summary during the Autumn! She as been very close to the mark and not for the 1st time. I'm pretty sure she got slated for using out dated methods by somebody as well! I don't think she will be back till spring, she's not really a winter lover anyway, but her input has been greatly missed.. 

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Yes, the LRF models seem to have nailed it, what concerns me is there failure to get close when it's cold being predicted! It looks likely that only a major SSW could save us this winter, and after enduring 2 of them straight years running, the likelihood of a 3rd is remote. Don't get me wrong, another batch of cold winters will crop up, its the fact these batches are getting spaced further apart that concerns me. Good point on Tamara's summary during the Autumn! She as been very close to the mark and not for the 1st time. I'm pretty sure she got slated for using out dated methods by somebody as well! I don't think she will be back till spring, she's not really a winter lover anyway, but her input has been greatly missed.. 

The persistence of Euro High has caught out a lot of forecasters online, even the ones who use GSDM tool, I have noticed over the pond a well respected poster named Isotherm had a large Euro trough on his January map also UK GSDM experts hinted at NW SE trajectory of jet that would be displaced south which never materialized in January. I would say kudos to GLOSEA and EC seasonal which held their ground 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

This chart from GFS must win the award for mild rampers chart of the winter season.   Horrid mild over spill and not a snowflake in sight

for many.

GFSOPEU12_192_1.png

Posted

Lots of bemoaning the winter so far at the half way juncture in terms of lack of snow and cold.. and given the outlook isn't promising anything especially cold or snowy.. its no wonder.

Alas we have been here before many a time, winter 88/89, 89/90, 97/98, 99/00, 04/05, 06/07, 07/08, 13/14, 15/16, 16/17, 18/19 - 11 years... 

Plenty of winter left to deliver something cold and snowy.. 

At least we are being spared anything notably stormy and flooding hasn't been a feature either.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

We may as well forget about this winter now.  Outlook is pathetic past the weekend, no sign of that euro high shifting (revenge for Brexit?  Joke!) and with the daylight hours starting to open up now the window for deep cold is narrowing rapidly.  The good news is we have six months or so of torrid misery courtesy of another record-breaking summer to endure (maybe)...

Edited by Mr TOAD
  • Like 2