Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
53 minutes ago, cheese said:

Ditto. I hope we get an early taste of spring in February like we did last year. In fact, I’d take a February like 2019 or 1998 every year.

Completely agree. Last February was fantastic for a taste of early Spring warmth, enabling me to get numerous jobs done in the garden. More of the same please

And with each evening getting lighter as winter rapidly slips away, thoughts definitely turn to spring

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Perhaps the real possibility of the MJO reaching the high-level phase 7 mark could still bring some favourable conditions for some chillier and wintrier outbreaks for the UK for a while. Wish it would go into high amplitude phase 9 though

Good luck with that, you will need to make a phase 9 magically appear first  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

It also doesn't help that broadly we've been in this disgusting pattern since the second half of September. October and November felt like wet winter months so by December, fatigue was already setting in. December and January thus far have then been even more like November so maximum boredom is well and truly established.

Looking better beyond Friday though. Dry, bright and with some frost will be a very welcome change (bare minimum expectation of course) but miles better than what we've been stuck with over the last 4+ months.

Indeed. Would take next week (including this weekend) over some of the gloomy conditions we’ve had in the last few weeks. Ironically, with both December and January, it does feel like in a way they have swamped with months like October and November. November at least managed to produce a day where some rain became a little bit sleety during the afternoon (November 14th I think it was).

2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Good luck with that, you will need to make a phase 9 magically appear first  

Will have to find a way... Get a phase 10 into the mix as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
31 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Indeed. Would take next week (including this weekend) over some of the gloomy conditions we’ve had in the last few weeks. Ironically, with both December and January, it does feel like in a way they have swamped with months like October and November. November at least managed to produce a day where some rain became a little bit sleety during the afternoon (November 14th I think it was).

Will have to find a way... Get a phase 10 into the mix as well.

There would be no pv left

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Utterly dreading the longer days that Spring brings,gone will be a good nights sleep thanks to pollen. This Winter hasn't happend at all and looks like it won't,very very depressing. Only plus side is i haven't had the central heating on at all so far.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Meanwhile. In Canada.

:cold:

never happen here would it,27 c below average can’t even get even 1 c below average max temp this utter joke of a winter.

Anyway with global warming how can they have temps so far below the average,does not add up.

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

never happen here would it,27 c below average can’t even get even 1 c below average max temp this utter joke of a winter.

Anyway with global warming how can they have temps so far below the average,does not add up.

Maybe it is not "global" (runs away and hides)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

-30s are cold but not close to record breaking for Calgary though. Plus, an average temp is meaningless really.. continental climates can experience extreme temperature swings that smooth out into the average.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Take a winter holiday there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
25 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

You've got to be joking obviously i hope

Posted
34 minutes ago, markyo said:

Utterly dreading the longer days that Spring brings,gone will be a good nights sleep thanks to pollen. This Winter hasn't happend at all and looks like it won't,very very depressing. Only plus side is i haven't had the central heating on at all so far.

Yes, we could be in for an early hay fever season this year.  This winter really is up there with the worst.  However, it was nice to have some sunshine today!

• Like 1

Posted

Anomalous warmth across all of northern Eurasia so far in 2020! 

What I find shocking are the temperatures in Moscow - looks like they've been above average since December 4th! And no end in sight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Surreal to see budding on the tree next door in the middle of January. Absolute stinker of a winter. Probably the worst I've lived through so far.

Posted
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

There would be no pv left

Nope! Need just a little bit of it. But to drop into mainland Europe and usher in a cold Easterly (or Northerly)

Speaking of mainland Europe, really is amazing how mild the temperatures have been there! Partly wonder if the highly above average temperatures over large areas of the continent might be preventing a favourable blocking High for UK cold for setting up their.  

Definitely been a quite a ghastly Winter so far. For the wintry weather, and the absence of a number of sunny/bright days. 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Nope! Need just a little bit of it. But to drop into mainland Europe and usher in a cold Easterly (or Northerly)

Speaking of mainland Europe, really is amazing how mild the temperatures have been there! Partly wonder if the highly above average temperatures over large areas of the continent might be preventing a favourable blocking High for UK cold for setting up their.  

Definitely been a quite a ghastly Winter so far. For the wintry weather, and the absence of a number of sunny/bright days. 

I really hope we have a good summer, after enduring such a crap winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Winter's paying a visit to Pakistan, really cold here especially at night. Winter wonderland but very difficult situation for the elderly....not much to burn to keep warm. No snow where I am but several feet fell about 30 miles north east.

snow kashmir.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I really hope we have a good summer, after enduring such a crap winter. 

That would be great! It would feel too bad to be true if the rest of Winter was to be disappointing and then Spring and Summer followed the same pattern. Surely the weather can’t be that mean.

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

Anomalous warmth across all of northern Eurasia so far in 2020! 

What I find shocking are the temperatures in Moscow - looks like they've been above average since December 4th! And no end in sight.

Hmm, I fear this is no ‘normal’ mild winter!

Edited by Don
  • Like 3

Posted

Quotes about Russia and unseasonably mild, so far; veiled references to it could become 'normal'.

It is one Winter (so far); last 10 Winters (before this year) in Russia HAVE been "normal" for there i.e. cold, snow, below freezing during days. 

Not unusual for Russia to have a milder Winter, every 10 years or so. It is fairly normal.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Look how cold Africa is though (well most of the north) and Greenland too...and what about Canada/United States?

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted

January has been above-average so far here in Bratislava but not stupidly so. Slap-bang under the Euro slug, it's been bone-dry (1.4mm so far) with a fair bit of fog and ice (ice-day yesterday, only just above freezing today).

A really dire situation snow-wise though. The 00z ECM is teasing us with snowmaggedon on Sunday only for the 12z to give us a bit of sleet instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
17 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

January has been above-average so far here in Bratislava but not stupidly so. Slap-bang under the Euro slug, it's been bone-dry (1.4mm so far) with a fair bit of fog and ice (ice-day yesterday, only just above freezing today).

A really dire situation snow-wise though. The 00z ECM is teasing us with snowmaggedon on Sunday only for the 12z to give us a bit of sleet instead.

I was in Bratislava on the 18th December, sat outside in the main square in the sun at 13c

Posted
22 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Quotes about Russia and unseasonably mild, so far; veiled references to it could become 'normal'.

It is one Winter (so far); last 10 Winters (before this year) in Russia HAVE been "normal" for there i.e. cold, snow, below freezing during days. 

Not unusual for Russia to have a milder Winter, every 10 years or so. It is fairly normal.

It's not true to say this is a just a blip. Russia is warming at a rate of ~0.43°С per decade, which is double the global rate. Of course there will be ups and downs, but the trend is for rising temperatures.

And Moscow just recorded its highest December temperature in 133 years. 

• Like 2