Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Couldn’t care less about snow right now.

Primary concern is that things dry out...lost count how many times I’ve thought or said those words aloud over the past few months.

Everywhere saturated and waterlogged yet again. Tedious and tiresome doesn’t begin to describe it. Just want Spring now. I’m done with this mud fest crud.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
29 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Back in the 19th century, the UK might expect a severe winter once in every five years. Nowadays the likelihood of a severe winter in the UK has risen to once every twenty years. 

Spring snow depths have been reducing for the last 50 years.

The bulk of the recent warming has occurred within the last 35 years.

The warmest 20 years on record have all occurred within the last 22 years.

Winters for the UK are heading only in one direction.

Realistic expectations.

Exactly. I get a bit annoyed when climate deniers post up graphs from the last x-thousand years saying 'yeah but the earth was as warm or warmer than this now, we've got nothing to worry about and it's all a myth' blah blah blah. The evidence is as clear as you'd like.

Yes, there were warm periods in the past, but the Earth wasn't over-populated with 7+ billion (and counting) people burning millions of tons of fossil fuels and releasing dangerous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere every day. There's your difference. Natural cycles are being over-written. You can't just burn all of this material and have no payback afterwards. There has to be some bite-back, and a warming planet is what we're getting.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

I don't hang my boots up till end of first week of March 

9 years ago we had 18 cm s snow depth which lasted 48 hours before melting in march

There was? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I cannot imagine living in the North West in England (weatherwise) so you have my sympathies:(

Its getting grimmer for those who enjoy seasonal weather.

Loads of people locally are absolutely sick of it now.

Its getting wetter and milder all year round, im going to have to start booking 3 holidays a year now its getting me down, SAD syndrome.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Exactly. I get a bit annoyed when climate deniers post up graphs from the last x-thousand years saying 'yeah but the earth was as warm or warmer than this now, we've got nothing to worry about and it's all a myth' blah blah blah. The evidence is as clear as you'd like.

Yes, there were warm periods in the past, but the Earth wasn't over-populated with 7+ billion (and counting) people burning millions of tons of fossil fuels and releasing dangerous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere every day. There's your difference. Natural cycles are being over-written. You can't just burn all of this material and have no payback afterwards. There has to be some bite-back, and a warming planet is what we're getting.

Agree with every word.

I think we are at the stage were even a reversal of GW will take many years to kick in so mild winters will probably dominate our livetimes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Its getting wetter and milder all year round, im going to have to start booking 3 holidays a year now its getting me down, SAD syndrome.

At least you don’t need to worry about getting the old standpipes and food rations sorted out in Summer like @Azazel...

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I can imagine   Very strange place  by you   loads of rain   but get the chance of snow  the irish sea always does its job of spoiling any decent snow.   

• Like 2

Posted

It's now the warmest day of the year here 13.1°C, hope we see some good surface cold next week with this high building in!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

I can imagine   Very strange place  by you   loads of rain   but get the chance of snow  the irish sea always does its job of spoiling any decent snow.   

Even though im more towards the spine of the country im still on the western facing pennines which means it is historically a very wet area, in the colder winters of the 20th century the extra altitude (oldham is hilly, 100m to 400m depending on which part)was the key ingredient , this has been negated by the warmer Atlantic amongst other things.

IMO NW England Has the worst climate in the whole of the UK nowadays, its perpetual Autumn bar yhe odd week here and there.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Even though im more towards the spine of the country im still on the western facing pennines which means it is historically a very wet area, in the colder winters of the 20th century the extra altitude (oldham is hilly, 100m to 400m depending on which part)was the key ingredient , this has been negated by the warmer Atlantic amongst other things.

IMO NW England Has the worst climate in the whole of the UK nowadays, its perpetual Autumn bar yhe odd week here and there.

That was a good read mate - always see a handful of people from the NW England moaning most of the year but have never really seen anyone go into detail/explain why! I always assumed with the hilly parts/Pennines it would be decent for snowfall in Winter - especially with the Irish Sea nearby. 
Plus I now totally understand the despair you have had regarding endless rainy days over the months.
If we all posted just a wee bit of background on our location/historic weather/usually expect to see it would make understanding the moans/ramps so much easier! (Just my opinion/thoughts)

Cheers.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I grew up in the western Lake District and went to university in Preston. I can remember it being revelatory to me how much warmer and dryer it was there! It can be incredibly crap in the North West weatherwise but it is occasionally compensated for by being easily the most beautiful part of the country (maybe not Oldham). I could never live in the south east, its just too busy and too flat! What has become marked over the last few winters is the absence of sun. Even the milder winters of the 90s would throw out a week of sun and frost. We live in a time when compared to our parents' time (60s) the seas are warmer and the jet is more powerful. Northerlies and easterlies don't stand much of a chance and when they do they aren't blowing off a frozen Arctic or Baltic Sea, or a cold continent so have less punch. Its a bit ironic that when back in the day they didn't have central heating or double glazing it was much colder, now we can deal with it much better we don't get it! I'm sure we'll get another cold spell at some point and we probably wont see it coming as we'll all have given up by then.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looks like it will be nice and dry for my 10 day return to the UK

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
1 hour ago, TomW said:

It's now the warmest day of the year here 13.1°C, hope we see some good surface cold next week with this high building in!

Sleety rain and 4C at Queensbury (1000ft or so) , Bradford at 12:45pm. The yellow ice warning was showing on the car until I got past Leeds. Bloody awful day with this blustery breeze. 

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

That just about sums up the state of winters now,when even in Finland they get temps way above freezing in mid January.

Gone are those winters from the past where I mentioned you would look how cold it was in Finland ,to give you an idea of how cold it would be here when the winds came from that direction,at least once a winter,even for just a week.

Those minus 40s must feel like they came from another planet for the people living there.

Utterly unbelievable that mild weather can just dominate the winter months for so many recent winters.

This winter is fast going down the drain as the worst ever.Mild and dry is just about tolerable,but this incessant wind and rain is beyond a joke.

Cant even walk to the High street without getting blown into the road,and the less said about the state of the driving on the roads the better,and soaked to the skin.

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

That just about sums up the state of winters now,when even in Finland they get temps way above freezing in mid January.

Gone are those winters from the past where I mentioned you would look how cold it was in Finland ,to give you an idea of how cold it would be here when the winds came from that direction,at least once a winter,even for just a week.

Those minus 40s must feel like they came from another planet for the people living there.

Utterly unbelievable that mild weather can just dominate the winter months for so many recent winters.

This winter is fast going down the drain as the worst ever.Mild and dry is just about tolerable,but this incessant wind and rain is beyond a joke.

Cant even walk to the High street without getting blown into the road,and the less said about the state of the driving on the roads the better,and soaked to the skin.

Helsinki sits on a peninsula in the Gulf of Finland though.

55E413B7-3848-435C-BB99-F41B7916D294.thumb.png.7277ad9878add25bc1ca1ef39d431e14.png

With the current setup/pattern they are prone to mild temperatures. (8c is very toasty and of course record breaking if it does indeed happen tomorrow)

Head further North through Finland and as usual it is cold and snowy - it may not be -40 but still completely covered in snow and very cold. (Even though temperatures have been way above average Northern parts hang onto freezing temperatures and snow stays thick on the ground through the Winter months)

31FA10B3-5BC9-42AE-99DE-586F775233A0.thumb.png.4b0f6f6a802c6ed13550284174a9b2c8.pngDF9F9345-146D-4435-A30D-DD1031633F6F.thumb.gif.1b88137db5f51c916c128ab081c7d667.gif

Luckily for Helsinki they always have a 99% chance of going back in the freezer soon after any mild spell.

UK and Ireland always have a 99% chance of staying in a mild spell soon after another mild spell! 

If you want a wee snow fix here is Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi - it’s forecast heavy snow for the next six hours.

FC8811F1-2277-4E87-8BD2-CAAC1CCFD0FE.thumb.png.82ec01a5a4e2f0b0fc25072bfcbe6cf1.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
14 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

All you have to do is look back at my posts from the snow and ice threads from late autumn and the start of winter (and some throughout winter so far) of Scandinavia and they have had record breaking snowfalls and cold temperatures so certainly hasn't been an all mild story though we seen that record breaking warmth in Norway a few weeks ago (though the same areas the next day had about a foot of snow). 

I dont think this winter will be anywhere near the "worst ever" still time to get at least some snow out of it and I suppose it is all about personal preference, from a snowy POV it has been as poor as it could be (again still some time for this to change). Those looking for drier weather look like getting their wish with the higher pressure building in then it is a question if that can retrogress and allow something colder from the NW / N. 

No doubt it wont be long before some will be praising the seasonal models, and yes admittedly they have so far got the overall pattern correct, if they had been showing conditions favourable for a colder than average winter (ie northern blocking) would those same people really be championing it to the same degree? I have my doubts... it doesn't take a genius to say it will be on the milder side of average by the end of a UK winter. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

Climate change is ruining are snow

Yes, it's ruining OUR snow. Temperatures are up and sea ice decreasing but snow extent is still actually marginally increasing in the Northern Hemisphere in the satellite era - just not in western Europe.

CLIMATE.RUTGERS.EDU

Rutgers University Global Snow Lab

If we look at this winter, extent is currently very near average but it must be deeper since snow water-equivalent is about 10-25% above average, depending on which measure.

GLOBALCRYOSPHEREWATCH.ORG

I have connections to Texas. They're getting more snow in recent years. Snow settled in northern and/or central Texas 7 times before Christmas. It usually averages less than once per year but it's snowed in Houston 5 times in the last two winters. It never snowed when I lived there for 6 years in the 70s.

2753543_snowtn.jpg?w=1600
ABC13.COM

SNOW DAY! Did you know since 1881, it has snowed 94 times in Houston?

If snow is still coming in similar amounts, we'll probably get our turn again soon. Looking back, 2-4 years after a solar minimum looks a likely timeframe for us, especially if enhanced with a bit of cooling volcanic activity at the minimum. There's been a lot of rumblings lately. Maybe we're setting up for a wintery 2022-23?

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Ok let's stop the titytaty now and move on to nice friendly discussion please.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Well we head towards mid January and I've seen two frost's.not a snowflake which in my area is unbelievable .people saying a toppler would suffice and bring in lower seasonal temps???can't see the point tbh

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
19 hours ago, PerfectStorm said:

Probably 'normal' I would say. Cold winters are the exception - bland, mild and wet winters are the rule. 

19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I'd describe winter 13/14 and Dec 15 as rather abnormal, the weather patterns of the winter so far, have been preety normal really.. 

Disagree, it's been very mild so far IMBY, and with no significant cold on the horizon - we could have one of the mildest Januaries on record! That's not normal.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Well we head towards mid January and I've seen two frost's.not a snowflake which in my area is unbelievable .people saying a toppler would suffice and bring in lower seasonal temps???can't see the point tbh

An amazing difference over a short distance. I've lost count of the number of times we've already had to scrape ice from the cars, not just on a morning but a few times prior to leaving work as ice/frost returned early. I've known whole winters that received less frosts than we've already had. Plenty of cold days too for cycling and walking in.

Snow has barely fallen at this height asl but there have been several falls higher up and our typical winter sees only small snow amounts anyway.

There have also been mild days but again I've known plenty of winters with more double figure days than we've had so far!

All in all, an average winter so far.

• Like 1