Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

agree Azazel, cool thing when you think, summer getting closer as every day goes on, right side of new year now

The next month or so is the most painful part! Seems to go sooooo slow and then once we hit March, even if it's an extension of Winter, I start getting really excited about spring and summer:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

The next month or so is the most painful part! Seems to go sooooo slow and then once we hit March, even if it's an extension of Winter, I start getting really excited about spring and summer:D

So long as we don't get the seasons trying to drag their heels and end up with days/weeks of temperatures of 8-14c through April and May then i don't mind! Those sunny late spring days of mid/high teens and low 20s are probably my favourite part of the year. I like the summer heat as much as the next guy, but there's just something nice about everything looking fresh and growing through spring.

Posted

Well, we are now approaching mid-January and for most parts of the UK there has not really been a winter to speak of yet.  I thought I would look back on the charts so far and see what potential looked like and what could have gone wrong  in order to deliver next to nothing for most parts of the country so far:

Here we are on the first day of winter, December 1st:  

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Reanalysis archives of the past decades covering Europe.

We start  off with HP close to the west of the UK giving night frosts though not especially cold by day.

By the 3rd HP topples over the UK and the pattern looks far from HLB and a cold spell looks miles away for the UK:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

By the 6th, HP has sunk south leaving the UK in a mild SW flow:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

This continued until the 11th.  By the 12th, the zonal flow was re-orientating into more of a NW'ly polar maritime origin (cooler zonality):

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

This allowed some higher ground in the north of the UK to receive a little snowfall but temperatures became close to average for most of England and the majority of the country had rain at times.

I think that about the 17th, the pattern had the best chance of setting up into a colder pattern, with HP building over Greenland:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

But it did not materialize:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

as low pressure moved too far NW:   There the UK has its first fail at a cold shot when the building blocks got half way there.

We were then left with this over Christmas:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

HP too far north and too weak to influence the UK with a cold flow.

Signs of the persistent mild dross pattern that has dominated the first half of January were showing around December 30th:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

with pressure falling over Greenland and to the north of the UK and the PV setting up shop over Greenland, and HP moving south of the UK.

leaving us in this:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

this pattern has continued throughout until now:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

I think the first sign that things were going wrong for the UK for cold in this winter so far, were seen around December 17th to 19th, when a colder pattern began to set up but then collapsed into nothing, and it was in the last three days of December the very mild pattern for the first half of January was setting up.

In actual fact the CET from the start of Dec 2019 to mid Jan 2020 will very likely be almost identical to the same period in 2018-19.  (Dec 2018 6.9; first half of Jan 2019 5.2 (15.5 days) compared to Dec 2019 5.8, first half of Jan 2020 likely to be something close to 7.3).

Certainly now as we are able to say that the first half of winter 2019-20 has been much milder than average and brought next to nothing in terms of cold for most of the country, does anyone have an idea of what could have gone wrong to limit cold potential for the UK in this winter so far?  I would at least have thought that low solar activity would have been more favourable for cold than it has been since 2012-13, and I would have thought that a near neutral ENSO would not have had a big impact on reducing the chances of cold weather for the UK?  Also a close to neutral QBO so far this winter (less westerly than winter 2018-19) I thought would have been more helpful than last winter.  The only negative thought I have on the  background signals is that through the latter part of December and the first half of January the MJO has not been in favourable phases for cold in the UK (it has been mostly in phases 0 then 4-5 through this last month up to including this coming week), which may have reduced the UK's cold chances.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A much more lively spell of weather coming up, with severe gales and heavy rain likely. Hopefully, not a total washout and some squally and thundery showers will occur. Not much sign of anything cold, though. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

agree Azazel, cool thing when you think, summer getting closer as every day goes on, right side of new year now

Spring follows winter, then summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather
2 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Certainly now as we are able to say that the first half of winter 2019-20 has been much milder than average and brought next to nothing in terms of cold for most of the country, does anyone have an idea of what could have gone wrong to limit cold potential for the UK in this winter so far?  I would at least have thought that low solar activity would have been more favourable for cold than it has been since 2012-13, and I would have thought that a near neutral ENSO would not have had a big impact on reducing the chances of cold weather for the UK?  Also a close to neutral QBO so far this winter (less westerly than winter 2018-19) I thought would have been more helpful than last winter.  The only negative thought I have on the  background signals is that through the latter part of December and the first half of January the MJO has not been in favourable phases for cold in the UK (it has been mostly in phases 0 then 4-5 through this last month up to including this coming week), which may have reduced the UK's cold chances.

Unless it turns out that the +IOD has been overly dominant (we are extremely hampered by low sample size in determining this - and possibly a hint that low solar has been over-cooked as driver), it's been more a case of nothing overly supportive of cold pattern. The best indicator out there has been the MEI. That's been bumping around borderline El Nino for the last few months: 

WWW.ESRL.NOAA.GOV

US Department of Commerce, NOAA, Earth System Research Laboratory, Physical Sciences Departmant

Weak El Nino / warm ENSO neutral climatology is against cold patterns for Northern Europe during the early part of the winter, more conducive later on depending on other factors.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

@Jules216 2006/07 cited as being a carbon copy of this winter.

Yes, in lots of respects. Similar MEI / ENSO structure. Similar QBO evolution. Similar warm phase early / mid winter characterised by monster +AO during December / January with coupling between trop and strat PV. And now, similar MJO evolution.

Fair to say 2006/07 has been on the radar for some considerable time. Hopefully we'll see a 2007 style reversal in the AO for February. Be interesting to see if the lower solar conditions this time round deliver anything more tangible for colder outbreaks further west than in 2007.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
55 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Yes, in lots of respects. Similar MEI / ENSO structure. Similar QBO evolution. Similar warm phase early / mid winter characterised by monster +AO during December / January with coupling between trop and strat PV. And now, similar MJO evolution.

Fair to say 2006/07 has been on the radar for some considerable time. Hopefully we'll see a 2007 style reversal in the AO for February. Be interesting to see if the lower solar conditions this time round deliver anything more tangible for colder outbreaks further west than in 2007.

Just hope a 2007 summer doesn't follow. I think I'd actually start looking for residence abroad if that happened...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
46 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Stewart

re low solar activity, possibly a lag response too?, 09/10 then Dec 10 a year and 2 year delay from the 2008 must minima.  Also synoptically in NW Europe it’s very similar to 1916 ....very mild Jan, mild Feb, bitter cold March.  Any analogues and composites from that year ? 

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
2 hours ago, Glacier Point said:

@Glacier Point just remarkable similarities between 2007 and now. Comparison between 01.12 and 10.01

compday.2FYTE8U_W8.gif

compday.CoIY2sieW_.gif

Posted
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

You could apply that to gale lovers, why would you want a potentially destructive storm causing death, damage, disruption?

You could apply that to thunderstorm lovers, why would you want a severe thunderstorm causing potential flooding, loss of life and disruption?

You could apply that to heatwave lovers, why would you want intense heat causing a spike increase in deaths, uncomfortable nights etc?

Where do you end? You can not expect everyone taking a scientifically sterile view of meteorology on this site. They post because they love specific types of weather. That's the way it goes. 

Interesting that your not the frost to***r in here to infer that i have no interest in weather...of all types or that having an interest in synoptic meteorology is both boring and sterile and has no place here.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Dear oh dear if the weatheronline outlook for the rest of January and February is correct I very much hope it's not then we can kiss winter goodbye. 

High pressure to dominate cool days and frosty nights no snow in the extended outlook.

there's a High Jim but not where we want it to be.

hopefully things won't go that way

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 hours ago, Azazel said:

You personally spend every single day above 20 degrees from May-September moaning about how hot it is and then revel and rub "heat lovers" noses in it whenever it's cool and rainy and you're moaning about others doing the same in Winter. Remarkable.

I rest my case,you've just proved my point exactly. Thank you. Not one single thing in that post makes sense,sorry.

Edited by markyo

Posted

High pressure can never seem to build north of the UK in winter, it either becomes a euro trash high, hence the very mild start to January, or  it only can move North enough  so it sits over the UK like is being shown soon, but rarely gets any further North. 

I know we have the Greenland high but that might as well not exist in the winter as it very rarely brings us any cold weather.

This winter is looking like another dud, but I am still expecting snow and very much colder weather to arrive in March, which it usually does now. 

Posted
2 hours ago, E17boy said:

Dear oh dear if the weatheronline outlook for the rest of January and February is correct I very much hope it's not then we can kiss winter goodbye. 

High pressure to dominate cool days and frosty nights no snow in the extended outlook.

there's a High Jim but not where we want it to be.

hopefully things won't go that way

And followed by a warm sunny spring, which leads to a poor coolish summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
17 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

High pressure can never seem to build north of the UK in winter, it either becomes a euro trash high, hence the very mild start to January, or  it only can move North enough  so it sits over the UK like is being shown soon, but rarely gets any further North. 

I know we have the Greenland high but that might as well not exist in the winter as it very rarely brings us any cold weather.

This winter is looking like another dud, but I am still expecting snow and very much colder weather to arrive in March, which it usually does now. 

same with low pressure in winter,almost non existent around Batlic countries or even gulf of Genoa low,even more utopistic is Black See low, all of these were highly frequest in winters before 2014 now if any low pressure arrives to Europe it is originated of somewhere near Iceland under temporarily amplified Azores high. If you do a NCEP NCAR 500mb analysis of winters 2013-2020 you will get a huge fat Euro high anomaly with throughing west of Ireland

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

And followed by a warm sunny spring, which leads to a poor coolish summer.

Not this unsubstantiated nonsense again, S76? I'm still waiting for last summer's '2012 redux'...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

One thing that would raise an eyebrow with me and that's to have a cool summer...haven't had one since 2012. More surprising than having a chilly winter, then again thinking about it maybe not, both becoming rare beasts.

• Like 2

Posted

Disgusting output. Just never ending high pressure. Drought that began in 2015 will unfortunately continue and it will hit us even harder this year if we don't get snow.

11 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

One thing that would raise an eyebrow with me and that's to have a cool summer...haven't had one since 2012. More surprising than having a chilly winter, then again thinking about it maybe not, both becoming rare beasts.

The last really cool summer here in Czech Republic was in 1996. Don't know what would have to happen to get a cold summer in current climate. Seems impossible now. 

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

No respite for coldies on the latest ec46 .... euro high persists throughout the period post week 2

It's simply just one of those winters this year!  No other way to describe it at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Don said:

It's simply just one of those winters this year!  No other way to describe it at the moment.

Probably 'normal' I would say. Cold winters are the exception - bland, mild and wet winters are the rule. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Probably 'normal' I would say. Cold winters are the exception - bland, mild and wet winters are the rule. 

I wouldn't say this is a normal winter, even by the modern standards.  That said, it most likely will become the norm as the years pass!

• Like 3