Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Winter 83/84 was mild up until February, although I have no recollection of it personally. 

Winter weather could still strike.

Jan 84 was a very snowy month here

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Wow that looks beautiful, thankyou for the pic

No worries.

Banff reported snow fall every month last year.

What a place!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

The UK's heatwaves are getting more extreme, but the "coldwaves" are not reaching the same extremes.

Also:

ukcc.thumb.png.0c40a08158b51510d54239cf1d0f6f00.png

I know that but only four of the hottest years are in the last decade. (Graphs below are for the other six years)

”Coldwaves” are not reaching the same extremes but during the last decade we are still recording plenty of below average months. (Some record breaking)

2010:

4CBE0C44-D215-4CD4-8A06-A4F6EC5AA883.thumb.gif.53e536944f658a0d81c23be78dea9492.gif

2012:

8105A24D-083F-4C35-8433-5C0C938430BC.thumb.gif.0e3173f27de8f22b97ced979469af0f9.gif

2013:

419AB2D5-4203-408F-8300-B86C94704605.thumb.gif.7da90737050ccc3f2df07266569d8f72.gif

2015:

68A23665-3C03-4793-B8A3-94C1D3BACA27.thumb.gif.484eee9d8ffce547576235b3a2be3838.gif

2016:

F180930C-D30D-4A86-A71F-85FF86AA71A8.thumb.gif.5bd10fa8d716dcaa172dc172c63766ed.gif

2019:

01A61136-39A4-42EC-87B1-4642C1D0E60B.thumb.gif.6d2657f139b6ca5d09ad5ae8ea7eb799.gif

For me this Winter so far is not that unusual when you compare to previous years. (After tomorrow temperatures return to normal for Scotland)

December was definitely a stinker from a cold/snow/frost point of view for most of us! (Mean temperature, ground frost and air frost below)

8AAC73DF-B74C-4503-89F8-AE5EF269E48C.thumb.gif.275e329eb16d23901c931c559cf5c6fe.gif
8191124F-9BB6-4481-B77F-96293DB574F2.thumb.gif.8ee2a8f414c316f16b06219c197e6468.gifF376F85A-C514-4D43-9852-FDDBBDE3B641.thumb.gif.1d37e2707affa25f252ce36e7f144fa3.gif

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the rest of Winter brings... (After this post I’m using this thread for ramping only )

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

I think some people are so fixated with searching for raging Easterly winds and - 85c uppers in the extended model output that they forget what's right under their noses..

A risk of snow for northern areas on Thursday mainly over higher ground but its snow nevertheless. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
11 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

I think people are so fixated with wanting raging Easterly winds and - 85c uppers that they forget what's right under their noses..

A risk of snow for northern areas on Thursday mainly over higher ground but its snow nevertheless. 

The problem Jordan is that most on here don't want to drive up into the mountains just for a few flakes of snow, they want it in their own back gardens, and nice snow, not the slushy stuff. I'll be totally honest though, if I had mountains near me, I would go snow hunting, used to go all the time to Biggin Hill and Shooters hill when I had sleet here, it was always snowing up these hills.

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, snowray said:

The problem Jordan is that most on here don't want to drive up into the mountains just for a few flakes of snow, they want it in their own back gardens, and nice snow, not the slushy stuff. I'll be totally honest though, if I had mountains near me, I would go snow hunting, used to go all the time to Biggin Hill and Shooters hill when I had sleet here, it was always snowing up these hills.

I know that but note I said higher ground, the risk for more lower levels is there which is why I posted. 

For the time being there's no sign of the deep cold and widespread snow that many want in fact the outputs atm are very mild for the most part over the next 10 days anyway. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I think for some (I’d probably include myself in this), it can be easy to get carried away with outputs in FI

Problem is, I feel like all the chasing and chasing of very cold weather in the charts becomes tiring for the mind. And it can be annoyingly addictive. 

I can understand the excitement as weather types like snow isn’t always a common thing in Winter. Particularly for the lower levels of the UK, and especially for Southern areas. Sometimes, though, there is the risk of missing out on short-term weather surprises in the outputs when being too focused on charts far away. 

• Like 2

Posted

Don't kid yourself that we'll not have severe winter weather again. If history repeats, the most likely time is 2-4 years after a solar mimimum, often aided and abetted by an increase in volcanic activity close to the solar minimum. Here's a bit of recent cold to keep you going:

image.jpg
WWW.YORKSHIREPOST.CO.UK

A teacher has shared astonishing photos which show just how harsh the winter of 2010-11 was in the North York Moors National Park.
more-frozen-whitby-harbour-pictures-001.
WWW.REAL-WHITBY.CO.UK

December 21st 2010 - View All Our Whitby Photo Galleries Here Over night low temperatures of -10 in Whitby led to the harbour being totally frozen over this...
bridlington-harbour-frozen-over-in-east-
WWW.ALAMY.COM

Download this stock image: Bridlington harbour frozen over in East Yorkshire - D1J813 from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations...
_105432080_05.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The unique spectacle occurs when foam freezes on the water's surface.
image.jpg
WWW.YORKSHIREEVENINGPOST.CO.UK

Leeds rivers and canal ways have frozen over today due to the cold weather.
image.jpg
WWW.EDP24.CO.UK

Drivers are being advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary after roads where blocked overnight by snow drifts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Winter 83/84 was mild up until February, although I have no recollection of it personally. 

Winter weather could still strike.

Fairly chilly January (at times) what I can remember with some cold north westerlies/northerlies if memory is correct and some wet snowfall here in the south east...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

the weather at the moment is nearly as boring as a football match.

If the weather right now was anywhere near as exciting as this arsenal,leeds match we would be drooling at the chops. Just a little idea..... How about we have a guess the next cold snap competition! My money is on 27th January.. May keep us a little interested while the weather remains stuck In a rut.. 

Edit... That should be... Guess the start of the first winter cold snap. 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Sounds like a cool idea. Will go for February 4th.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

February 13th 

• Like 2

Posted

Is this a cold snap with widespread snow, snow showers, ice days? Or just a toppler though? Uk wide cold, not just NE Scotland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Not countrywide and nothing down in London. December 83 was very mild.

See below from Trevor Harley's weather site re Jan 1984. As you can see a month with large variations North to South. For me in the Central Highlands at the time it brought 60cms of snow which with top-ups lasted till mid Feb. My lowest temp was -20.1C so a PM month with oomph for the North.

Extract below.

Weather

The highlight of 1984 was a very good April. Before 1999-2000, it was the sunniest winter (December, January, February) on record (229 hours in London).

January. A westerly month, but it was very wintry in the north.The month was very wet: the wettest January since 1948 in England and Wales. Snowy over Scotland and Northern Ireland. A violent gale in the Midlands on the 11th, and another on the 13th gave a gust of 104 mph in the NE England. On the 13th, the north suffered prolonged snow showers and strong winds. There was a destructive tornado in Doncaster on the 14th, and lightning in Leeds. It was very cold in Scotland: there was a minimum of -23.6C at Grantown-on-Spey on the morning of the 20th, and -20.6C at Aviemore, followed by a maximum of only -8C at Tummel Bridge the next day. More snow in the north on the 21st. On the 23rd snow lay 65 cm deep in parts of Scotland, with many places cut off. Snow lay for 30 days of the month at Kindrogan[Perthshire), 20 days at Glasgow and Edinburgh, but only 6 at Manchester , and just one in London. Another tornado, with large hail, hit Teignmouth on the 26th. It was milder than average in the south.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Iam considering 10 days in Edmonton CM, probably late November.

What sort of conditions would one expect late Nov if you don't mind me asking.

Last 2 weeks of November is usually when the cold and winter truly set it..mostly sub zero day and night often quite snowy..probably one of the snowiest times of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

If you mean a nationwide cold snap with snow I am not sure it will happen at all this winter? Under average temps for a few days 10th Feb.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Great stuff folks... Any kind of cold snap will do, not necessarily Nationwide! Several days of below freezing temps at night, and at least low digit single figures during the day... We could be waiting a long time folks.

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
9 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Great stuff folks... Any kind of cold snap will do, not necessarily Nationwide! Several days of below freezing temps at night, and at least low digit single figures during the day... We could be waiting a long time folks.

Im going for 23rd jan. 24th the easterly. 25th the snow starts. 30th the cobra meeting. 31st everyone on here wonders where steve murr is. 1st feb there's nobody on here towonder where steve murr is cos all the powers hone down due to the 30ft high snowdrifts

• Like 8

Posted
15 minutes ago, snowsummer said:

Im going for 23rd jan. 24th the easterly. 25th the snow starts. 30th the cobra meeting. 31st everyone on here wonders where steve murr is. 1st feb there's nobody on here towonder where steve murr is cos all the powers hone down due to the 30ft high snowdrifts

Yes please!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Bitter spell starting 27th January till mid February cet below zero during that period, thank me later 

Jan 84 was very severe in the Highlands, 30 ft snowdrifts in the Cairngorms

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I’m going for mild and wet right out until may and then wet and warm all summer.

no cold this winter and no sun during the summer with winds constantly coming from the south west

maybe then I’ll get a new hobby but just on the off chance we get a mad freeze with loads of snow blasting in off the North Sea I’ll keep checking the models about 3 times a day

aaarrrrrhhhhh

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

London to get its first snowfall in March - which will melt by 9:45AM!

• Like 2