Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

A little reminder.

The UK is not known for being a cold or snowy place, winters tend to range between cool and mild.

Realistic expectations......

"Meteorological winter

However, at the Met Office, we often use a meteorological definition of the seasons. By the meteorological calendar, the first day of winter is always 1 December; ending on 28 (or 29 during a Leap Year) February. "

Still 55 days away, and we often struggle to know what the weather will do a week or two in advance but some on here can just write off the next 55 days at the drop of a hat...  

hawthorn-berries-in-a-frost.-photo-galin
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

How you define the first day of winter depends on whether you are referring to the astronomical or meteorological winter.

Even @Steve Murr has a half empty glass giphy.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

"Meteorological winter

However, at the Met Office, we often use a meteorological definition of the seasons. By the meteorological calendar, the first day of winter is always 1 December; ending on 28 (or 29 during a Leap Year) February. "

Still 55 days away, and we often struggle to know what the weather will do a week or two in advance but some on here can just write off the next 55 days at the drop of a hat...  hawthorn-berries-in-a-frost.-photo-galin

Even @Steve Murr has a half empty glass 

Experience of entrenched patterns like this, allied to little or no forcing to lift us out of it. Steve Murr may be a die hard coldie but he's also not stupid and can see the writing on the wall.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
29 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

A little reminder.

The UK is not known for being a cold or snowy place, winters tend to range between cool and mild.

Realistic expectations......

Agreed but 16c forecast for some places this week I mean 16 in January is an absolute joke

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, markw2680 said:

Agreed but 16c forecast for some places this week I mean 16 in January is an absolute joke

Exactly!

• Like 1

Posted

Patience always a virtue - we might see a cold snowy spell before February is out, we might not.. no-one can say for sure. Yes the foreseeable remains very poor for those wanting something colder / and or snowier, but not wise to say we will just see the same weather for the rest of winter. I can see why some are writing things off, and we have been here before many a time in winter, when current weather patterns seem to lock in for weeks.

Any arctic outbreak will be very potent this winter - given the depth of cold building up, and as I said as the winter wears on the chances of breaking out of atlantic domination increase.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

To get two very mild and winters on the trot though is not a normal, chances are that something cold will turn up eventually, although it might not be until the tail end of February though like in 2008. Personally I'm still hoping for a change to cold in the last week of January.:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Winter 46/47 had a number of colder spells though, from beginning of that Winter. 

Scotland had a lot of sun, while here in the south east it was pretty drab. Temps hit 14 before the big cool down. I believe the 9th/10th turned a bit colder ( well ok,  its only gonna drop down to 9 on friday but im straw clutching anyway so....)Before warming slightly again. Was also an unsettled 1st half of January . Anyone else wanna put their  straws on the table too? 

Posted
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

To get two very mild and winters on the trot though is not a normal, 

It’s happened a fair few times.  1988/89, 1989/90, 2006/07 and 2007/08 to name a few.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

To get two very mild and winters on the trot though is not a normal, chances are that something cold will turn up eventually, although it might not be until the tail end of February though like in 2008. Personally I'm still hoping for a change to cold in the last week of January.:oldgood:

We've had runs of back to back mild winters in the last 45 years or so, far more common than back to back cold or even just average winters:

74/75 and 75/76

87/88-89/90 (3)

91/92/92/93

97/98-99/00 - 3

06/07-07/08

15/16-16/17 - 2

• Like 3

Posted

Unlikely, and I did discuss this with a relative the other day - perhaps we could see a 1983 type situation re: winter? (I was born 1984 and read up with info with the posts on here)

Mild Dec, Mild Jan, very cold and bitter February (with tons of snow), very cold March and a cool April.

As long as we don't get a July like that year which I believe is still the hottest ever and not even 2018 could match it? 

Edited by nn2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I've been around for 60 winters, and  within all of those , there have been about  half a dozen or so that  could described as being cold and snowy.. That must tell people something.

The early/mid 70's were very snow less, in Somerset.  

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 5

Posted
10 hours ago, CreweCold said:

This time 10 years ago we were frozen solid and I was about to experience a -15c minimum. There was maybe 5cm of snow lying and everything was so wonderfully wintry. 

Fast forward 10 years and we get...this.

You forget 10 years ago was not normal this is our normal for goodness gracious people need to readjust their expectations.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Comment removed.
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowsummer said:

Scotland had a lot of sun, while here in the south east it was pretty drab. Temps hit 14 before the big cool down. I believe the 9th/10th turned a bit colder ( well ok,  its only gonna drop down to 9 on friday but im straw clutching anyway so....)Before warming slightly again. Was also an unsettled 1st half of January . Anyone else wanna put their  straws on the table too? 

46/47 - there were a couple of snowfalls in the North in December 46 and again in 1st week of Jan 47.

• Like 1

Posted

I do feel the winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 (1st Half) have kind of upgraded people's expectations re: winter. I am a coldie, but I do not like ridiculously mild temperatures. Save that for March. 

Saying that, I'd love a good storm if the temps don't want to give way....

Edited by nn2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 hours ago, Daniel* said:

You forget 10 years ago was not normal this is our normal for goodness gracious people need to readjust their expectations. 

I'm not saying that winter 10 years ago was normal- I was making a stark comparison.

I forget nothing.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Comment removed.
  • Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, snowray said:

Well the stats suggest it has been normal for UK , late eighties , late nineties and several consecutive similar types in New millenium

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

You forget 10 years ago was not normal this is our normal for goodness gracious people need to readjust their expectations they’re well over-inflated. 

10 years ago was not normal (no one said it was).  On the other hand, what we are experiencing now is not normal either.

• Like 4

Posted

What is normal with the weather nowadays? 

Take out the winter weather, looks at the high summer temps, the huge rainfalls in autumn, Australia's sad situation....

I could go on, but there's something happening.

Posted
2 minutes ago, nn2013 said:

What is normal with the weather nowadays? 

Moving forward, who knows?!

Posted

If we can get away from the strong +Qbo as we head into Autumn and providing there is no stupid strong ENSO next winter will be much more interesting for coldies.

All eyes on the Qbo as far ss i am concerned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

If you ask me nobody or any god damn model can predict what’s going to happen in a couple of weeks tbh let alone the rest of winter, the best they can do is give background signals and we all know what crap they are lol, take last winter for example, remember all them lovely background signals. To right of the rest of the winter when it’s only just gone new year you could end up with multiple eggs on face......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

I remember  back in the 80's during one snowy spell my young son asking if we would ever be able to christmas on the beach like they did in Australia. Sadly hes no longer here to carry on that discussion, but i wonder somedays if my grandson will really get to do that. Its a strange world now, and nothing would shock me.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Don said:

10 years ago was not normal (no one said it was).  On the other hand, what we are experiencing now is not normal either.

Don this is closer to normal than that you must accept that surely? It has not been excessively winter mild here at least so far. My highest tmax is 12.8C and well this is low on recent winters.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

On Tuesday we'll be in December 2015 territory, but yes, this is of course 'normal'....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

On Tuesday we'll be in December 2015 territory, but yes, this is of course 'normal'....

The new normal unfortunately....I'm not happy either. 

• Like 1