Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted

Actually, 'acclimatising' to the cold, back then, as you may remember, was tolerating frozen fingers and toes ankle deep in slush, frozen window panes etc because there was not an accessible alternative for many. It was not a virtue.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

This thread to moan and grown 'Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat' will be the longest ever!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, Don said:

Indeed, a depressingly gloomy day and the same can be said for the outlook.  Couldn’t be any further away from 10 years ago.  Honestly don’t think things have looked this grim during my time following weather!  I think even 2006/07 looked more positive than where we are now?!

I wasn't following the models so much in 2006/7, but at least later in the month there was a cold spell. Maybe that's where we'll find ours this winter. I've posted a few charts below that delivered snow here in an otherwise arduous January setup. January 2015 was the classic cold zonality with snow showers off the Bristol Channel. January 2008 was a heavy rain to snow event with evaporative cooling very much at play. January 2007 was a northerly that emerged after the jet stream finally realised what time of year it was. January 2005 was something of a surprise given the month up to that point, and virtually a repeat performance of a slider that also happened in December 2004.

archives-2015-1-14-0-0.png archives-2008-1-11-12-0.png archives-2007-1-24-12-0.png archives-2005-1-23-0-0.png

However a grim and un-Januarylike it's looking for the foreseeable, one just has to hope something appears in the coming weeks. Personally, my cut off date is mid Feb. I'll be off to the southern states for business, then will be looking for more springlike charts come March.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
36 minutes ago, knocker said:

What.......................just like the model discussion thread

Apologies,you certainly are not one of the folk i refer to! This is a Banter thread,fun,not technical. Some folk seem to have trouble understanding this.

Edited by markyo

Posted
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Apologies,you certainly are not one of the folk i refer to! This is a Banter thread,fun,not technical. Some folk seem to have trouble understanding this.

Tell us, then. To which folk do you refer? I'm all ears.

I have no trouble in understanding this thread.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, knocker said:

Good grief.....................its disappeared!!

204.thumb.png.715da949098d9d9850ca0885ec2fec09.png210.thumb.png.f02b5775297e45c70009ed3c0cd08735.png

Haha as expected  

The output now is much more realistic with it more in line with the other models. :oldgood:

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, ciel said:

Tell us, then. To which folk do you refer? I'm all ears.

I have no trouble in understanding this thread.

I'm fairly sure you know whom i refer to...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 hour ago, markyo said:

What isn't funny on here is certain folk popping up and implying posts are mindless and lack intelligence. It smacks of arrogance and self importance,also a lack of understanding of the title of the thread!☹️

If it's me you're referring to... just trying to say that we all feel certain temperatures differently and don't need to be insulted for it, that's all. It is honestly a bit mindless when people are so self centric as to think everyone should feel the same as they do. We don't. Let's all let everyone enjoy what they want.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'm fairly sure you know whom i refer to...

No, I'm flummoxed, please tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Don said:

Indeed, a depressingly gloomy day and the same can be said for the outlook.  Couldn’t be any further away from 10 years ago.  Honestly don’t think things have looked this grim during my time following weather!  I think even 2006/07 looked more positive than where we are now?!

The last 3 months have been decidedly grim. I’m just glad that’s it’s stopped chucking it down for 23 hours each day.

I’ve only been around 46 years so far and in that time, the vast majority of UK winters have been dreary, depressing and grey. There have been a few drier periods, some destructive winds and very occasionally some snow, but mostly it’s been a drab, mild-ish bore-fest. It’s nothing new, it’s the usual grim UK winter (though yes, it is becoming ever warmer and I’m no climate change denier - far from it).

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

If it's me you're referring to... just trying to say that we all feel certain temperatures differently and don't need to be insulted for it, that's all. It is honestly a bit mindless when people are so self centric as to think everyone should feel the same as they do. We don't. Let's all let everyone enjoy what they want.

. Completely agree with what you say. My comments were not directed in any way at you,sorry if it came over like that. We feel temps individually,discussing how that effects the way we dress in Winter shouldn't be a issue. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, ciel said:

No, I'm flummoxed, please tell.

Ok,,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

two years running now the NAO and the AO goes to positive when we reach 1st December unreal with AO going of the charts think I will take a brake for a fortnight

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The GEFS suite looks absolute garbage for actual weather practically across the suite by day 15

Define actual weather because if I'm correct snow which is quite obviously what you're referring too isn't the only thing that is "actual weather" there's plenty of weather activity in the medium term even if its not what a lot of people seem to want or take interest in. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, jordan smith said:

Define actual weather because if I'm correct snow which is quite obviously what you're referring too isn't the only thing that is "actual weather" there's plenty of weather activity in the medium term even if its not what a lot of people seem to want or take interest in. 

It isn't going to be heavy snow and bitter cold even on high ground in the North, never mind in the south.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It isn't going to be heavy snow and bitter cold even on high ground in the North, never mind in the south.

What's that got to do with my post..? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, igloo said:

two years running now the NAO and the AO goes to positive when we reach 1st December unreal with AO going of the charts think I will take a brake for a fortnight

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

Patience igloo, next year is going to be 'on a par with the best winters of the Twentieth Century': the early snows of a 1981, the longevity of a 1963, and the super February/March blizzards of a 1947, all rolled into one glorious event!!:gathering:

But, as the scrag-end of the GFS 12Z suggests, this year might well turn-out to be a 'bust' --- thanks to a resurgent European HP::unknw:

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png 

• Like 1

Posted

What's that got to do with my post..? 

You asked me to define what i meant by garbage weather - so i have - anything other than snow.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You asked me to define what i meant by garbage weather - so i have - anything other than snow.

No I said define actual weather which to you is freezing cold and snow but it isn't true. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1

Posted

No I said define actual weather..

My original post - i said the suite was garbage for the actual weather it was giving out - and it is, its wind rain frost and fog - but no sign of heavy snow - garbage.

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

My original post - i said the suite was garbage for the actual weather it was giving out - and it is, its wind rain frost and fog - but no sign of heavy snow - garbage.

You didn't define what that "garbage" was in your original post in the Mod thread which isn't that helpful for people wanting to know the actual output shown for the next few days or more. I rarely quote a post negatively in that thread but felt it was necessary to on that one. 

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
Just now, jordan smith said:

You didn't define what that "garbage" was in your original post in the Mod thread which isn't that helpful for people wanting to know the actual output shown for the next few days or more. I rarely quote a post in that thread but felt it was necessary to on that one. 

Ok - but you know that one always leans towards cold in winter - do you do it when knocker also says 'good news' when he is referring to mild - probably not because you wouldn't want to upset him.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ok - but you know that one always leans towards cold in winter - do you do it when knocker also says 'good news' when he is referring to mild - probably not because you wouldn't want to upset him.

Quite right as I'm quite delicate

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

If he said something like your post I would of questioned him just the same doesn't matter who it is the difference is knocker would describe in detail what the output is with a statement like that.. whether he does make an in my opinion statement like that or not doesn't matter its his opinion and would be rather pointless challenging him on such a benign statement, even if he just said good news it will be mild that's hardly the same as what I've quoted you on. 

Edited by jordan smith