Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Today really is the day of the coldies isn't it? Sounds like people are just bitter because they're not getting the cold icy winter of their wet dreams. I mean come on, you have to be feeling pretty crap to be insulting people over their temperature preferences.

To be fair, heat lovers would be moaning on the final day of June had it had been a cool/wet month and the outlook for July was also very poor for warm weather.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
21 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

What the hell wrong with the general public.Went to Brighton seafront yesterday afternoon,it was about 10c and sun out,so felt warm,I was walking with just t shirt no coat,yet most other people were walking about with gloves ,coats,scarves,hoods done up,and not even cold.

Unbelievable!

Don't people look at weather forecasts anymore? ,or just ignorant.

Heaven forbid we actually get a bitter outbreak this winter with sub zero temps,how on earth will they ever cope.

Snowflake generation,now!

Rant-over!

You will find we all have different thermometers and also depends what we are doing.Generally those like yourself can stand the cold but I bet on a calm hot day in summer you cannot cope.I personally struggle with cold and always have done since being a kid and I was brought up on a pennine hill at over 300 metres but if I go on a run in the depths of winter I feel mad and frozen setting off in shorts and a long sleeved shirt,hat and gloves but a mile further I am stripping off to bare chest with just shorts and trainers.My nephew wears a thin long sleeved shirt and it doesn't matter wether it is -10 deg or 30 deg in summer,he wears the same.We are all different!

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

You will find we all have different thermometers and also depends what we are doing.Generally those like yourself can stand the cold but I bet on a calm hot day in summer you cannot cope.I personally struggle with cold and always have done since being a kid and I was brought up on a pennine hill at over 300 metres but if I go on a run in the depths of winter I feel mad and frozen setting off in shorts and a long sleeved shirt,hat and gloves but a mile further I am stripping off to bare chest with just shorts and trainers.My nephew wears a thin long sleeved shirt and it doesn't matter wether it is -10 deg or 30 deg in summer,he wears the same.We are all different!

yes, and i think the phrase "each to their own" is apt. There's nothing wrong with anyone, we all feel temperature differently. so i agree Hillbilly, "we are all different"

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, MAF said:

yes, and i think the phrase "each to their own" is apt. There's nothing wrong with anyone, we all feel temperature differently. so i agree Hillbilly, "we are all different"

I think that's fair enough.

Posted

So yes, this winter has been boring so far and the outlook isn't good. 

However, I've known a few winters where we've got this far without even a single frost...And we've certainly had a few this year so far.

So a very tiny crumb of comfort for you there.

Happy New Year.

(The predictive text on my phone wanted to say "crumb of thunder", I quite like that!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

10c is not t shirt weather. Please get a grip!

Seriously what on earth are you going on about?...I was referring to the coldest day in Northern India for over a century, how do you reply like this? (maybe the left overs of the Xmas Sherry).

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
2 hours ago, MAF said:

But some are more different than others

Posted
3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

They won't put that on the BBC headline news page but decide to continue with Australia (which always seems to be in the news every summer due to heat/bush fires). According to the BBC page the other day every state was experiencing 40c but I delved further into this on some websites and this wasn't the case...hhmmmm.

9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I like how the media conveniently seems to ignore the cold spell India, while constantly banging on about the fires in Australia. 

I think Australia's wildfire situation is more serious than a maximum of 9.4C. Although they still wrote a significant article on it.

I wonder if increased smog is sometimes causing lower maxima there.

Edit: it's Wikipedia but apparently that is suspected to be the case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi#Air_pollution (bottom of first paragraph on air pollution)

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
15 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Seriously what on earth are you going on about?...I was referring to the coldest day in Northern India for over a century, how do you reply like this? (maybe the left overs of the Xmas Sherry).

My apologies. I was quoting mr ‘snowflake generation’ guy, but quoted you by mistake lol.

Btw, I don’t drink Sherry. I’m only 43, that’s an old timers tipple

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A new provisional maximum temperature of 18.7c was recorded at Achfary, Scotland on the December 28th

If validated it will be the highest December temperature on record

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

A new provisional maximum temperature of 18.7c was recorded at Achfary, Scotland on the December 28th

Here’s the tweet....haha cold lovers sorry couldn’t resist  

B186C1F7-FDD7-4827-9038-14FDAF7D9093.png

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

That's incredible. I bet they struggle to get that in the Summer.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Incredible isn't a word i would have used...

Still some folk saying this is just a normal UK winter ROFL.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Incredible isn't a word i would have used...

Still some folk saying this is just a normal UK winter ROFL.

It’s normal for Terry Michael Wood....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
27 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

That may actually sound incredible even to me but at a second glance you have to look on a map and see exactly where that is.It is very close to the coast in the very far north west just a stones throw from Cape Wrath which holds 3 of the daily December maximums for the UK.You have to compare it with places like the outer Hebrides and the West of Ireland which have a climate way different to inland where temps are much more consistant for much of the year.Some places in West Ireland havnt had snow or frost for 50 years am guessing it wont be too different in North west Scotland on the coast.Shetlands temp today is 8 deg and when London is basking in temps in the high 20s Shetland is often in the low teens and sometimes single figures,not a great difference all year around.

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may actually sound incredible even to me but at a second glance you have to look on a map and see exactly where that is.It is very close to the coast in the very far north west just a stones throw from Cape Wrath which holds 3 of the daily December maximums for the UK.You have to compare it with places like the outer Hebrides and the West of Ireland which have a climate way different to inland where temps are much more consistant for much of the year.Some places in West Ireland havnt had snow or frost for 50 years am guessing it wont be too different in North west Scotland on the coast.

Here are the averages of snow lying days from 1981 to 2010. Even right on the coast they do get some snow days, albeit nothing like inland. They are also prone to high temperatures at time particularly in winter with the foehn effect. 

7A414C7E-1DC1-4451-B710-CC806F55FC78.gif

• Like 4

Posted
40 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My apologies. I was quoting mr ‘snowflake generation’ guy, but quoted you by mistake lol.

Btw, I don’t drink Sherry. I’m only 43, that’s an old timers tipple

No problems...by the way I still think BBC are a tad OTT as regards to mentioning heat in Australia (being part of our commonwealth), yes no doubt big bush fire problems but you can get that in less hot tinder dry conditions, I checked out the conditions in various Australian cities the other day when apparently 40c was being experienced in every state and not one city was anywhere near it and for that day and the week ahead. 

Can't help thinking it's BBC at every opportunity throwing climate change into everyone's consciousness...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes
17 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may actually sound incredible even to me but at a second glance you have to look on a map and see exactly where that is.It is very close to the coast in the very far north west just a stones throw from Cape Wrath which holds 3 of the daily December maximums for the UK.You have to compare it with places like the outer Hebrides and the West of Ireland which have a climate way different to inland where temps are much more consistant for much of the year.Some places in West Ireland havnt had snow or frost for 50 years am guessing it wont be too different in North west Scotland on the coast.Shetlands temp today is 8 deg and when London is basking in temps in the high 20s Shetland is often in the low teens and sometimes single figures,not a great difference all year around.

A stiff southerly wind producing the Foehn effect in the Achfary area. The temperature over the open Sea is nearer to 10C. 

image.thumb.png.ff5528e151a95c4562d112145ec83b1b.pngimage.thumb.png.f233ac5f1a3cce80e53bd23aebb89b29.pngimage.thumb.png.bf104102483e12e15a51571b5d277f73.png

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Here are the averages of snow lying days from 1981 to 2010. Even right on the coast they do get some snow days, albeit nothing like inland. They are also prone to high temperatures at time particularly in winter with the foehn effect. 

7A414C7E-1DC1-4451-B710-CC806F55FC78.gif

5-10 days on the coast here in Essex!...that's pushing it, since 2013 I'd say nearer an average of 2 per year.

Posted
3 hours ago, SLEETY said:

What the hell wrong with the general public.Went to Brighton seafront yesterday afternoon,it was about 10c and sun out,so felt warm,I was walking with just t shirt no coat,yet most other people were walking about with gloves ,coats,scarves,hoods done up,and not even cold.

Unbelievable!

Don't people look at weather forecasts anymore? ,or just ignorant.

Heaven forbid we actually get a bitter outbreak this winter with sub zero temps,how on earth will they ever cope.

Snowflake generation,now!

Rant-over!

Maybe they were all full of this damn cold that everyone has.

It has been cold in places where there's been no wind to blow away the overnight chills (as sometimes happens here in the Vale of York) There's been no warm spell here at all in terms of temperature though it's been very pleasant when the sun has been up. The high here was 8.5C yesterday  - not 12 or 13C predicted - and 4.7C today. Yesterday's hoar frost melted in a few hours of daylight but today's has survived all day in the shadows. We went to Bridlington yesterday.  The car said 5C when we set off at noon after demisting the thawed frost, and 11C when we arrived there at 1pm where an offshore breeze had developed. Like us, most people had gloves and hats on after the frosty start. It was nice to be warm there as we all have had the lurgy and stupid cough for three weeks. The highest we've had at home in the last week has been 8.9C and there's been three hoar frosts - including Christmas morning. I might add that it's only 1.3C now. The week before we had a 2.0C high on the day the mist did not clear. When the wind is low to non-existent, temperature can get vary variable over short distances. I'm presuming we'll have another hoar frost overnight to make 4 in a week. No warm spell here.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1