Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

didn't think it could get any worse but even Lapland in major melt mode you would be  up to your knees in muck.lets hope it's just a outlier

gfs-1-222.png

Edited by igloo

Posted
45 minutes ago, igloo said:

didn't think it could get any worse but even Lapland in major melt mode you would be  up to your knees in muck.lets hope it's just a outlier

gfs-1-222.png

Absolute horrendous chart!

Posted
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Yes if the conditions are there, it will happen.

How many know that one of the date maximum  records for January was set in the middle of the severe winter of 1929?  Got to 17.2C 

Late January 1958, it got as low as -21C or so, a day or two later a maximum of 18.3C was recorded for the UK

This shows the switch well from very cold to very mild. 

20th..

EUROPE_PRMSL_TMP850_1958_1_20.thumb.jpg.ba8e956760d07ab4a6e3c770bd7d5dcb.jpg

22nd..

EUROPE_PRMSL_TMP850_1958_1_22.thumb.jpg.bbddf66373aa3a90cf3b4070aaa07dc5.jpg

27th..

EUROPE_PRMSL_TMP850_1958_1_27.thumb.jpg.c6a889597b847a176fc5fed3bb28124c.jpg

Very dramatic pattern change to say the least for the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Although I usually detest the cold, a cold snap would be a great benefit to kill off all the chest lurgy going around here.  Everyone I know is down with it but so far I've escaped it (fingers crossed).  Looking at the Netweather forecast we might have a bit of a cold snap this coming weekend.

Yes, I'm coughing my guts up. Horrible dry chest cough that makes you wretch. Horrendous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Going back several posts, summer 2019 was up there in the top wettest summers of all time here. Wetter than 2012. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

summer started of great up here April,may,and june then slowly deteriated to become a washout.more often than not that is the usual for Scotland may tends to be the the best month of the year for us

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Don said:

Absolute horrendous chart!

850hPa temps aren’t a good reflection on ground level on pub run the run is pretty cold and very frosty.

5F3B7416-2124-4F1F-B62C-422C939BB710.thumb.gif.6771c9e4de52b66128fd9985855989f7.gif7D58D2D2-206A-4ED3-8557-231DC4BF716F.thumb.gif.28c74c46d01ab2b2958c8ef16bca812c.gif

Posted
3 hours ago, Donegal said:

I read recently that colder weather in winter actually makes it worse, better off being mild. Cold and dry air is the optimum conditions for the cold virus. It does kill off the stomach bugs etc tho. Anyway I was always thought the same, maybe was bs what I read. Who knows ha

Cold dry conditions aren't good at all but what happens in winter is that people cram together with the heating on and just all infect each other 

Posted
11 hours ago, General Cluster said:

Apart from being bone-dry early on, 2019 was a fantastic summer: loads of sunshine, warm temps and 12 thunder days...What wasn't to like? :oldgood:

We only had the one thunder day in my neck of the woods.

I believe the first day or so of June was warm, then it was absolutely horrendous before improving a bit at the end of the month.

July was fairly decent and had the 2-3 day hot spell. August fairly decent until the hot spell again towards end of the month.

For me, personally, it was a crap summer because of absolute lack of convection or storm activity. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost hail, ice.
7 hours ago, Donegal said:

I read recently that colder weather in winter actually makes it worse, better off being mild. Cold and dry air is the optimum conditions for the cold virus. It does kill off the stomach bugs etc tho. Anyway I was always thought the same, maybe was bs what I read. Who knows ha

I can assure you, feb/march 2013 everyone was down with the flu, most people blamed the bitter cold

Posted

A lot of UK cold spells have nothing to do with SSW events.

Winter 2009-10 wasn't cold because of a SSW event, infact the coldest severest part of that winter happened before the SSW event.

Winter 2008-09, December and January were already below average before the SSW event during late January

Winter 1978-79, the SSW event was late February but by then the severest coldest wintriest spells were largely over. 

The coldest part of winter 1976-77 happened before the SSW event, infact, it was generally mild after the SSW event.

Winter 1962-63 was already severely cold before the SSW event.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Winter 2009-10 wasn't cold because of a SSW event, infact the coldest severest part of that winter happened before the SSW event.

Winter 2008-09, December and January were already below average before the SSW event during late January

Winter 1978-79, the SSW event was late February but by then the severest coldest wintriest spells were largely over. 

The coldest part of winter 1976-77 happened before the SSW event, infact, it was generally mild after the SSW event.

Fascinating, isn't it, WH? We can look at all those 'not-of-the-mild-persuasion winters' and legitimately dismiss both Solar Cycles and SSWs, as possible causes? They did all, if I remember correctly (by no means guaranteed!) occur while the AO and NAO were predominantly negative...?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
13 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Out of all SSW events, I can only think of two of them that were shortly afterwards followed by a significant cold spell in the UK - Jan 2013 and Feb 2018.   I do not know of any more.

December 1981.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, MAF said:

Meanwhile in India

_110350817_gettyimages-1191010747.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The maximum day temperature plummeted to 9.4C on Monday setting a new record for the chilliest day.

They won't put that on the BBC headline news page but decide to continue with Australia (which always seems to be in the news every summer due to heat/bush fires). According to the BBC page the other day every state was experiencing 40c but I delved further into this on some websites and this wasn't the case...hhmmmm.

Posted

What the hell wrong with the general public.Went to Brighton seafront yesterday afternoon,it was about 10c and sun out,so felt warm,I was walking with just t shirt no coat,yet most other people were walking about with gloves ,coats,scarves,hoods done up,and not even cold.

Unbelievable!

Don't people look at weather forecasts anymore? ,or just ignorant.

Heaven forbid we actually get a bitter outbreak this winter with sub zero temps,how on earth will they ever cope.

Rant-over!

Edited by Blessed Weather
Comment removed.
  • Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

They won't put that on the BBC headline news page but decide to continue with Australia (which always seems to be in the news every summer due to heat/bush fires). According to the BBC page the other day every state was experiencing 40c but I delved further into this on some websites and this wasn't the case...hhmmmm.

10c is not t shirt weather. Please get a grip!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Very true, but we're knee deep in a deeply +AO/NAO at the moment and a SSW appears to be our only salvation. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it will occur around mid March leading to a below average April and May.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

10c is not t shirt weather. Please get a grip!

It was 10c where I live at the weekend and I was indeed outside with a t shirt on.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

What the hell wrong with the general public.Went to Brighton seafront yesterday afternoon,it was about 10c and sun out,so felt warm,I was walking with just t shirt no coat,yet most other people were walking about with gloves ,coats,scarves,hoods done up,and not even cold.

Unbelievable!

Heaven forbid we actually get a bitter outbreak this winter with sub zero temps,how on earth will they ever cope.

Snowflake generation,now!

Rant-over!

10c may feel mild, but the temp can change quickly, and a mild day in winter can sometimes feel colder when conditions(more cloud, windchill)change.

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Unbelievable!

Rant-over!

I went out for a walk yesterday and granted I wore a coat over a t shirt but was absolutely sweltering!  I'm with you regarding a bitter outbreak.  Just think back in the winters of 1946/47 and 1962/63, most didn't have central heating!  People were far tougher back then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Today really is the day of the coldies isn't it? Sounds like people are just bitter because they're not getting the cold icy winter of their wet dreams. I mean come on, you have to be feeling pretty crap to be insulting people over their temperature preferences.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

10c may feel mild, but the temp can change quickly, and a mild day in winter can sometimes feel colder when conditions(more cloud, windchill)change.

True, but it's not really scarf and gloves weather currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Unbelievable!

Rant-over!

Indeed @SLEETY on my recent mosey on down to Lidl (in tee-shirt & Jeans) I noticed the very same phenomenon!:oldlaugh:

PS: I couldn't care less what the weather is supposed to be, or is meant to be; or, even to what the date is...Only to what it (the weather) is!:oldgrin:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Yet when we see coldies suffer in 20°C "heat" that's not being a "snowflake". My God.

Here's some advice: If you see someone wearing clothes you wouldn't wear just because you have a different temperature preference, just ignore it and go about your way instead of trying to make yourself feel better by putting people down. And happy new year.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2