Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

What a strange post from a heat lover..2019 is in the record books for heat.

Perhaps they should go to Australia now!

• Like 2

Posted

At least we can't complain that the US is getting all the cold. It is now certain, that not one of the CONUS 48 will see below average temperatures for December as a whole.

Accelerated global warming is happening right now.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

At least we can't complain that the US is getting all the cold. It is now certain, that not one of the CONUS 48 will see below average temperatures for December as a whole.

Accelerated global warming is happening right now.

Just makes it all the more grimmer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

It seems more likely we will reach 20C during winter these days than see a significant nationwide snow event (1963/79/2010). If I had a choice of a £1000 wager on either, my money would be on the former. Sad really.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

It seems more likely we will reach 20C during winter these days than see a nationwide snow event. If I had a choice of a £1000 wager on either, my money would be on the former. Sad really.

obvious post! Theresa Mary Watson

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

It seems more likely we will reach 20C during winter these days than see a nationwide snow event. If I had a choice of a £1000 wager on either, my money would be on the former. Sad really.

Not sure we're at that stage just yet, but in future years more than likely!  Yes, it is a sad prospect!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

sad really nowadays unless we have a SSW event you can near guarantee no cold events that was not always the case year gone by.i put it down to a more powerful polar vortex in the winter which in return strengthens the jet stream.and given on average we get 2 SSW events every 5 years this season looks be a non starter 

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

What a strange post from a heat lover..2019 is in the record books for heat.

For individual values but lets not kid ourselves, it was not a great summer. Hence the saying one swallow does not make a summer.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, igloo said:

sad really nowadays unless we have a SSW event you can near guarantee no cold events that was not always the case year gone by.i put it down to a more powerful polar vortex in the winter which in return strengthens the jet stream.and given on average we get 2 SSW events every 5 years this season looks be a non starter 

Not every SSW event leads to a significant cold spell in the UK, and has never always done; it often leads to more in the way of northern blocking, but whether that sets up favourably for cold in our small part of the world is a different question.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but surely less sea ice should in the arctic should result in a weaker vortex?

Ive also found it strange that the PV loves Greenland where Siberia would surely much more appropriate for it...

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but surely less sea ice should in the arctic should result in a weaker vortex?

Ive also found it strange that the PV loves Greenland where Siberia would surely much more appropriate for it...

That's certainly been speculated but I think there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding this as we've only really had very low sea ice since 2006?

Edited by Don

Posted
50 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Not every SSW event leads to a significant cold spell in the UK, and has never always done; it often leads to more in the way of northern blocking, but whether that sets up favourably for cold in our small part of the world is a different question.

Indeed, early this year is a good example of that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

How can summer 2019 be a disappointment for hot weather enthusiasts ?

Overall it was a pretty wet Summer, at least around here. Of course last July there was that brief freak heat event but overall it wasn't a stunning Summer nationwide. Certainly nothing like 2018 which was very dry & hot throughout leading to the moorland fires. It was probably the best Summer since 1995 in this region (NW England).

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
20 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I presume the temperature differential between Greenland and the Atlantic  is greater then that of Siberia and the land south of Siberia as the reason?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

For individual values but lets not kid ourselves, it was not a great summer. Hence the saying one swallow does not make a summer.

It wasn’t a great summer but it was a perfectly decent summer for people who like warm weather. Even disregarding the exceptional heat in late July and the still record-breaking heat in late August (have we forgotten this already?), there was plenty of pleasant and usable weather in between. On paper it was a wet summer but it certainly didn’t feel like it - conversely there have been summers that were statistically dry but didn’t feel like it due to lower temperatures and sunshine. Statistics can be misleading.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

It wasn’t a great summer but it was a perfectly decent summer for people who like warm weather. Even disregarding the exceptional heat in late July and the still record-breaking heat in late August (have we forgotten this already?), there was plenty of pleasant and usable weather in between. On paper it was a wet summer but it certainly didn’t feel like it - conversely there have been summers like 2011 that were statistically dry but didn’t feel like it.

Indeed! A good proportion of July’s rainfall came in one day here! Even August’s was essentially crammed into the middle third of the month.

The real letdown was the first half / two thirds of June. Just miserable. I don’t think I’ve ever worn a puffer coat in June before...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Indeed! A good proportion of July’s rainfall came in one day here! Even August’s was essentially crammed into the middle third of the month.

The real letdown was the first half / two thirds of June. Just miserable. I don’t think I’ve ever worn a puffer coat in June before...

Yes, June was stinker but July and August were fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from being bone-dry early on, 2019 was a fantastic summer: loads of sunshine, warm temps and 12 thunder days...What wasn't to like? :oldgood:

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Don said:

Indeed, early this year is a good example of that!

Out of all SSW events, I can only think of two of them that were shortly afterwards followed by a significant cold spell in the UK - Jan 2013 and Feb 2018.   I do not know of any more.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Out of all SSW events, I can only think of two of them that were shortly afterwards followed by a significant cold spell in the UK - Jan 2013 and Feb 2018.   I do not know of any more.

A cold spell quickly followed the SSW in January 2009 for the start of February.  However, the second half of February was exceptionally mild.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
18 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Both these events am sure would be welcome by many here but maybe the SSW events changing the weather is a relatively new thing as so are most weather patterns in recent times.