Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I’m 32 and have admittedly not experienced many cold winters in the UK. Couldn’t imagine anything like 1963.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 minutes ago, igloo said:

not heard the saying nobody wants you when your old.companys don't catter for the old but for the young how spend the money oil and coal are on there last legs as the young will not except the changes which are happening.the Arab states in the future will turn of the oil and replace there deserts with millions of solar panels and instead of selling oil it will be electric 

The Arab states already use solar power for some of their electronic needs. In terms of oil it will be many years before all the Arab states run out. The young people now will be old by the time it happens or even dead. And not only that the oil companies will move onto other oil sources after the Arab states run out. Until then there's no chance that young people can turn the tide. There was also supposed to be a "political earthquake" at the general election with young people voting Labour but instead the Conservative party won by a massive landslide majority. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

The Arab states already use solar power for some of their electronic needs. In terms of oil it will be many years before all the Arab states run out. The young people now will be old by the time it happens or even dead. And not only that the oil companies will move onto other oil sources after the Arab states run out. Until then there's no chance that young people can turn the tide. There was also supposed to be a "political earthquake" at the general election with young people voting Labour but instead the Conservative party won by a massive landslide majority. 

Good post. It was just as much a 'Green' election, considering the publicity it had this year, as the other thing (B). And basically when it came to the polls people turned a blind eye to Green issues. The Yoof quake was more of a belch. Although, worth pointing out the younger mob are split between (i) students and ex-students and (ii) straight-to-work(ers). The 2nd lot today aint no different than when i was a younger 'un. Problem is the narrative re the Yoof tends to still focus on number (i).

Oil and its products wont be replaced for decades. No one from the eco side has expressed how one replaces current revenues from ditching oil, petrol, diesel, etc. Carry on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

I’m 32 and have admittedly not experienced many cold winters in the UK. Couldn’t imagine anything like 1963.

Had a few good ones here, 90's mainly, 80's don't remember exact details but a lot of snaw

Posted
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Will make it all the more sweet if I actually see a flake fall.

The only flake I’m likely to see fall during the next few months is from my scalp.....

• Like 4

Posted

Yeah, more dire output today, but in this country the weather can and does change course rapidly sometimes, defying all the weather computers.  Admittedly its normally in the form of failed easterlies 5 days out, but theres always a chance of sudden totally unexpected cold showing up in the 5-7 day timeframe!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Minus 10 said:

Delhi woke up to a chilly morning on Thursday as a severe cold wave swept through entire northern India with a forecast of a likely cold or severe cold day conditions for the next five days in many states.

Cold wave continued in parts of Rajasthan where Sikar was the coldest place, recording a minimum temperature of 2.5 degrees Celsius on Wednesday. The weather conditions would remain the same during the next 48 hours, weather official

Some people clearly don't understand the meaning of the word average.

It's like saying that is not true that life expectancy has increased in the past 30 years because you know somebody who passed away at 40 something...it's ridiculous honestly.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Trust me i am no Extinction Rebellion fan at all,there methods are plane wrong...

At least they are trying to get something done! Who else is doing anything about climate change?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

I think I can safely say this winter is already a write-off.  December will end v. mild, I see no signs of change into January, and by the time we do get some cold weather (probably late February...) winter is already almost over.

Roll on Spring.  April sunshine and showers is pleasant enough I suppose.

Edited by Mr TOAD
  • Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mr TOAD said:

I think I can safely say this winter is already a write-off.  December will end v. mild, I see no signs of change into January, and by the time we do get some cold weather (probably late February...) winter is already almost over.

Roll on Spring.  April sunshine and showers is pleasant enough I suppose.

Come on? Its boxing day not February 26th! Weather patterns can change rapidly aswell as stick for some considerable time but way too early to write snow and/or cold off.

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I don't know what's worse from a weather enthusiasts point of view. The very wet spell we've just had or the boring mild spell coming up  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Can we end the climate discussion in here, please? We have various other threads to discuss said subjects.

Yes I agree, this thread is for moaning not climate change....

Anyway, yet another year goes by without no white Christmas and this coming January looks likely to be mild or very mild for the 7th year on the trot, moan moan moan!!!:bad:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
15 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

Come on? Its boxing day not February 26th! Weather patterns can change rapidly aswell as stick for some considerable time but way too early to write snow and/or cold off.

I think it's the Christmas is over blues and no juicy charts for the foreseeable that's just getting people down a bit and hence the sweeping statements, they always turn up of course around this time of the year when the charts are looking grim. Some very high CET forecasts for January already in the CET competition don't help either.

Edited by snowray

Posted
16 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I don't know what's worse from a weather enthusiasts point of view. The very wet spell we've just had or the boring mild spell coming up  

It won't always be mild though in the next week or so, nothing special but cooler interludes look likely too. This is not a ramp btw, it's still a moan.

180-7UK.gif

204-7UK.gif

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, jordan smith said:

Yes but there seems to be a locked-in dry, mild spell coming in, with high pressure remaining dominant to our south.  This isn't just one day's run, it's consistent as far out as 384 hours in the GFS. This seems to be the case for the GEM (240 hours out) and ECM (240 again) too.  There is no sign of any cold weather in any of the major models for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 minutes ago, Mr TOAD said:

Yes but there seems to be a locked-in dry, mild spell coming in, with high pressure remaining dominant to our south.  This isn't just one day's run, it's consistent as far out as 384 hours in the GFS. This seems to be the case for the GEM (240 hours out) and ECM (240 again) too.  There is no sign of any cold weather in any of the major models for the foreseeable.

Indeed. Experience tells me these patterns can get locked in for weeks at a time. That's not being pessimistic but adding some realism. Strong heights to our south are notoriously difficult to shift. They never are to the north are they?  We had a similar scenario in Xmas 2011 & it took until February to get any decent snow. Not that I'm writing the whole of January off this time round but it can be slow arduous process.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr TOAD said:

For the next 10 days yes which is 6th January but I highly doubt the same synoptics will be churned out and come to fruition for the rest of the winter. Not even mid winter yet so like I said before way too early to scrap any cold or snow potential. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, jordan smith said:

Yes for the next 10 days yes which is 6th January but I highly doubt the same synoptics will be churned out and come to fruition for the rest of the winter. Not even mid winter yet so like I said before way too early to scrap any cold or snow potential. 

I hope you're right, I really do.

• Like 1

Posted

No doubt there could be a last-minute scramble to alter forecasts down in the CET competition for January if something half decent turns up in the models before New Years, it could still happen just got to try and stay positive, in fact the 18z was looking less mild already. :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, matt111 said:

by far, the very wet spell

Posted

I mentioned this in the other forum..

Well the weather forecaster in our village,who is 91 ,is going for a big change late January lasting through till at least mid-febuary,with bitterly cold weather arriving with snow and sub-Zero temps,when I spoke to him at our village Xmas fete.

And whenever I see him walking up the high street ,I normally ask his opinion on the weather..He said weeks ago he was expecting the weather to turn very mild around xmas

Even though he has retired from writing his forecasts in the local newspper He has been pretty accurate in the past in his forecasts,so let’s hope he is correct again..!

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 7