Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
11 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Whilst it is probable that remote areas of the Australian desert have seen extreme temperatures that have gone unrecorded, the outback Queensland town of Cloncurry originally held the record for the highest known temperature in the shade, at 53.1 °C (127.5 °F) on 16 January 1889. Cloncurry is a small town in northwest Queensland, Australia, about 770km west of Townsville.

The Cloncurry record was later removed from Australian records because it was measured using unsuitable equipment (that is, not in a Stevenson screen, which only became widespread in Australian usage after about 1910). According to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, the current heat record is held by Oodnadatta, South Australia, 50.7 degrees Celsius, occurring on 2 January 1960.

The world heat record for consecutive days goes to Marble Bar in Western Australia, which recorded maximum temperatures equaling or over 37.8°C on 161 consecutive days, between 30 October 1923 and 7 April 1924.

Related Questions

Asked in Meteorology and Weather, Australia, Australian Capital Territory and Canberra

Which Australian state or territory has recorded the highest temperature of 53c?

The highest recorded temperature in Australia of was 53 degrees C was recorded at Cloncurry, Queensland, on 16 January 1889.

Possibly more to the point  Across Australia's most populous state, NSW, at least 5m kangaroos are thought to have died gruesome deaths since one of the country's worst droughts began nearly four years ago. The crisis has prompted calls for changes to how Australia manages a national emblem,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost hail, ice.

Delhi woke up to a chilly morning on Thursday as a severe cold wave swept through entire northern India with a forecast of a likely cold or severe cold day conditions for the next five days in many states.

The Capital, which is experiencing the longest cold wave in December in 22 years, recorded a “severe” cold day on Wednesday with the maximum temperature dropping to 12.7º Celsius, nine degrees below normal. The minimum temperature was 6ºC, two degrees below normal.

The minimum temperature on Wednesday night was recorded at 6 degrees Celsius and the weather bureau said it was 7 degrees Celsius at 5:30 am on Thursday.

Since 1993, Delhi has had a cold spell only in four years—1997, 1998, 2003, and 2014.

Most stations in Delhi, except Safdarjung, have recorded a cold spell for 12 days in a row. At Safdarjung, the cold was eight days till Monday.

RK Jenamani, a senior scientist at the National Weather Forecasting Centre, said the lowest day temperature for Delhi was recorded on December 28, 1973, at 11.2ºC. This year till now the lowest day temperature is 12.2º C on December 17.

The intense cold spell will continue till at least till December 27.

The Centre-run System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting (SAFAR) suggests a slight improvement in wind speed and ventilation, and a marginal improvement in Air Quality Index (AQI) is forecast for Thursday but within the very poor category.

“From Friday onwards winds are forecast to slow down for three days. On Friday the AQI is forecast to deteriorate towards the higher end of the very poor category. The dense fog in the morning hours is likely to continue for the next two days under favourable meteorological conditions,” SAFAR said.

It also predicts that low surface wind speed and low ventilation are forecast for an extended period from Friday and likely to lead to the accumulation of pollutants. By December 29, the AQI is likely to touch higher levels, it said.

Officials had said the severe cold conditions will prevail till the end of 2019 and the minimum temperature will show a minor increase in the New Year on January 1 and 2. They predicted dense foggy conditions during morning hours for another week.

Cold snap

Authorities have shut schools and colleges in Haryana, including Gurugram, Agra and Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh as the intense cold spell, which impacted the entire northern region last week, is likely to continue this week.

The “cold wave” conditions are predicted to set in over Delhi and neighbouring states of Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh and Uttar Pradesh, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) has said.

IMD says a “severe cold day” is registered when two things happen — the minimum temperature drops to less than 10 degrees Celsius and the maximum temperature is at least 6.4 degrees Celsius below normal.

And a “cold day” is registered when the minimum temperature is less than 10 degrees Celsius and the maximum is 4.4 degrees Celsius below normal.

Meteorologists say the unusually cold conditions are due to a western disturbance (WD), which brought heavy snowfall in the Himalayan region — Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh — and rainfall across the northern plains, including in Delhi on December 12 and 13.

That western disturbance had left a lot of moisture in the atmosphere. Cold northwesterly winds and high relative humidity is causing dense fog in the morning hours.

“After sunrise when the surface warms a little the fog layer lifts up but not enough. It continues to hang close to the surface in the form of a low cloud cover. This is the main reason sun is not able to warm the surface and day temperature is low,” Kuldeep Srivastava, head of the Regional Weather Forecasting Centre, explained.

Scientists had said that cold wave conditions are likely to develop over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi and north Rajasthan on December 25. It also said cold day to severe cold day conditions are likely over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh and Delhi during the next two to three days.

“After 25th, we are expecting clear skies, low wind speed which will cause nighttime temperature to fall significantly. It is mainly because of radiational cooling when ground radiates heat away at night. The relative humidity is also high so there may be dense fog also in the morning hours,” Srivastava said.

“When a western disturbance moves away, there is cold air incursion from the higher reaches of northwest India. There are usually clear skies and very cold nights, the combination of these conditions brings on a cold wave,” said K Sathi Devi, head of National Weather Forecasting Centre.

Dipping numbers

Cold wave continued to sweep most parts of Haryana and Punjab, with Narnaul reeling at a minimum temperature of 3.2 degrees Celsius on Wednesday.

Narnaul in Haryana was colder by two degrees against normal limits. Hisar too recorded below normal minimum temperature at 4.1 degree Celsius, weather officials said.

A meteorological department official said severe cold weather conditions are likely to continue for the next two days in Haryana.

Punjab’s Faridkot was the coldest place recording a low of 4.6 degree Celsius. Chandigarh, the common capital of the two states, recorded a low of 6.9 degree Celsius.

Isolated places in Uttar Pradesh received light rain and the cold wave continued unabated across the state on Wednesday, the meteorological department said.

It said most places in the western and eastern part of the state remained under the firm grip of intense cold wave.

On Thursday, the weather is likely to remain dry with fog enveloping several parts of the state. Similar weather conditions are likely to prevail in the state till December 28, the met office said.

Cold wave continued in parts of Rajasthan where Sikar was the coldest place, recording a minimum temperature of 2.5 degrees Celsius on Wednesday. The weather conditions would remain the same during the next 48 hours, weather official

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

Possibly more to the point  Across Australia's most populous state, NSW, at least 5m kangaroos are thought to have died gruesome deaths since one of the country's worst droughts began nearly four years ago. The crisis has prompted calls for changes to how Australia manages a national emblem,

I know its terrible, i also seen koalas suffering too, as an animal lover i feel so helpless, its really sad and brings deep emotions to the surface

Posted
17 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

I know its terrible, i also seen koalas suffering too, as an animal lover i feel so helpless, its really sad and brings deep emotions to the surface

That is one of the most insentative, ignorant and arrogant replies on this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

What about the period 2009 - 2018? And Feb 09, Dec 09/Jan 10, End Nov 10/December, 2013, March 2018. Notable cold spells in last 10 years.

Cluster of Winters 78-87 (not all cold and snowy but a decent number were). Are our Winters generally milder, here in UK? Doesnt seem much different from my childhood for Southern UK. Mild winters, with odd cold ones.

You've referenced "the globe", but i was talking about the UK.

Pre-WW2? What were the decades like then for UK Winter weather? End 19th century? Not sure, but guess someone has stats.

I take it you disagree that our roll in the climate is having no effect? Trust me i am no Extinction Rebellion fan at all,there methods are plane wrong but surely only quoting 4 cold spells in over a decade just proves the point? Pre ww2,yes there were mild winters but the figures show clearly that since the mid 1850's when the industrial revolution really started to take hold the climate has altered, Referencing the globe is important,the UK sits in a unique position with the gulf stream,we will feel the effects more quickly than most. ,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Global chart for Chistmas Day 2019. This picture paints a sad story.

C

81259751_2715105345379216_3262423086066040832_o.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Having run the GFS sequence .... Poxy azores high or jet stream or whatever is respsonsible for the now stuck in a rut weather pattern. It looks relentless from immediate timescale to less so and FI. High pressure stuck over the UK or influencing our weather. Its either non stop Atlantic lows cool wind and rain.... or this.... I guess in balance, this is preferable, allowing for potential frosts and perhaps although annoyingly unseasonally mild in temperature, you can at least get out in it.. Otherwise this winter is so far

UTTER PANTS.... 

Edited by Snowfish2
  • Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, ciel said:

That is one of the most insentative, ignorant and arrogant replies on this thread.

excuse me, Im an animal lover, I have loved and cared for pets all my life, given most of my time to taking dogs in from poumds and giving them  a lovely home. I have also contributed money to the  world wildlife federation. How dare you accuse me of bring arrogant, insensitive and I am certainly not ignorant.

Edited by Minus 10
typo

Posted
30 minutes ago, markyo said:

I take it you disagree that our roll in the climate is having no effect? Trust me i am no Extinction Rebellion fan at all,there methods are plane wrong but surely only quoting 4 cold spells in over a decade just proves the point? Pre ww2,yes there were mild winters but the figures show clearly that since the mid 1850's when the industrial revolution really started to take hold the climate has altered, Referencing the globe is important,the UK sits in a unique position with the gulf stream,we will feel the effects more quickly than most. ,

"Our roll"? I think you mean "role".

4 cold spells in a decade for a mild, maritime climate is pretty normal for these islands. You just dont get cold winter after cold winter in UK, esp southern parts. Not for 00s of years. 

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
25 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

"Our roll"? I think you mean "role".

Thanks,least you focused on the main part of my post

But again you chose to ignore my point,our Winters are getting milder,year on year. The rate of this is more apparent where i live unlike where you are. I struggle to understand your view with such overwhelming evidence against it. Sorry.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, markyo said:

I believe we are having an impact on our climate, seven and half billion people on this planet and to deny we are not having an effect is just lunacy. Im an asthmatic and I can assure that I when I was growing up in Belfast city, it was insufferable to breathe in the toxic fumes especially on cold stagnant winters nights, I was basically  constantly using my ventolin inhaler, not pleasant and quite frightening when I couldnt breathe properly. I think coal is disgusting and filthy, oil, diesel and petrol make me nauseous.Gas i havent had any experiences with that, although seen on the news many explosions due to gas, so it must be dangerous. Im not sure about burning wood on how toxic it is.I dont condemn extinction rebellion as an anarchist myself I think its great  these kids taking matters into their own hands as the governments are all talk and no action.

• Like 3

Posted

This is a handy site for those who think/say that our winters have always been mild and nothing much has changed.

road-through-trees-covered-in-snow-and-i
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

How much snow do we get in the UK each year?

According to this, Manchester should get between 10 and 20 days of falling snow per year and between 5 and 10 days of lying snow. The same applies for many other low lying parts of the country.

Apart from 2009-10, there hasn't been another winter with this kind of snowfall here. This year I only had one day of lying snow (back in January) and the snow mostly melted by lunchtime.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

This is a handy site for those who think/say that our winters have always been mild and nothing much has changed.

road-through-trees-covered-in-snow-and-i
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

How much snow do we get in the UK each year?

According to this, Manchester should get between 10 and 20 days of falling snow per year and between 5 and 10 days of lying snow. The same applies for many other low lying parts of the country.

Apart from 2009-10, there hasn't been another winter with this kind of snowfall here. This year I only had one day of lying snow (back in January) and the snow mostly melted by lunchtime.

we got nothing last year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes I understand what people are saying. 30-32c is easily more achievable now, when comparing reaching 5c to below 0c in the winter months. 

I’ll play devil’s advocate here, and ask this. If in the unlikely event we did flip to a 1963 style winter, between 2020 until say 2024, wouldn’t people become just as fed up with  long periods of freezing cold, and poor summers?

I’m not supporting warming by any means, as I’m aware it’s dangerous for the environment, but also wouldn’t want a return to long periods of harsh cold and poor summers.

There's  a big difference between having a day or two off work/school and  having a bit of fun ,and having freezing cold /snow  preventing you from working and paying your mortgage and bills. Not  everyone continues to be paid if they can't turn up for work.   add to that  the elderly not being able to afford to heat their homes,the homeless freezing to death on the streets and the whole thing takes on a different perspective.

My Dad worked through the winter of 62/63 clearing snow  by hand for the local authority,  and developed pneumonia for his trouble. Don't get  me wrong I like a bit of cold/snow as much as the next person , but sometimes a bit of common sense  is needed on here.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

My Dad worked through the winter of 62/63 clearing snow  by hand for the local authority,  and developed pneumonia for his trouble. Don't get  me wrong I like a bit of cold/snow as much as the next person , but sometimes a bit of perspective is needed on here.

I have written before about my experience working at the Met Office at Larkhill during that winter. The winter was a nightmare for hundreds of thousands of people and I was one of them. And let's not forget the animals and birds.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Minus 10 said:

I believe we are having an impact on our climate, seven and half billion people on this planet and to deny we are not having an effect is just lunacy. Im an asthmatic and I can assure that I when I was growing up in Belfast city, it was insufferable to breathe in the toxic fumes especially on cold stagnant winters nights, I was basically  constantly using my ventolin inhaler, not pleasant and quite frightening when I couldnt breathe properly. I think coal is disgusting and filthy, oil, diesel and petrol make me nauseous.Gas i havent had any experiences with that, although seen on the news many explosions due to gas, so it must be dangerous. Im not sure about burning wood on how toxic it is.I dont condemn extinction rebellion as an anarchist myself I think its great  these kids taking matters into their own hands as the governments are all talk and no action.

There's too much money to be gained from "dirty" energy. As long as the likes of Saudi Arabia has billions/trillions barrels of oil nothing will change. The energy bosses have a lot more power than extinction rebellion.

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

I have written before about my experience working at the Met Office at Larkhill during that winter. The winter was a nightmare for hundreds of thousands of people and I was one of them. And let's not forget the animals and birds.

Quite agree Knocker,  I think if you've had first hand experience of such conditions ,you tend to  look at things completely differently ,as opposed to someone who has merely read of such things.  Working outside on and off for 44 years has certainly given me a definite opinion of the merits, or otherwise of such weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Quite agree Knocker,  I think if you've had first hand experience of such conditions ,you tend to  look at things completely differently ,as opposed to someone who has merely read of such things.  Working outside on and off for 44 years has certainly given me a definite opinion of the merits, or otherwise of such weather. 

But still, that people want to have that sort of weather back means nothing. We can hope and hope all we like, but we're not weather gods and have next to no control over it.

So, that people are willing for a winter like '62-'63, they should not be made to feel like they are doing something wrong, it makes no difference to mother nature whatever we 'want'.

I'd love a winter like '63, but that doesn't mean that my wanting that is going to kill the elderly or animals etc

• Like 4

Posted

For me having no wintry weather around Christmas week (Christmas week, doesn't have to be the day itself) is like having no Christmas dinner! It really means that much! Of course the ironic thing is in my 45 years I can barely remember two!!

What's very frustrating is from memory last year was almost a carbon of this one with a very mild week evident.

We can have our arguments about climate change but for me the most subtle change is snowfall before February becoming almost non existent!! And of course the sound of drip drip in late February doesn't really cut it!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

But still, that people want to have that sort of weather back means nothing. We can hope and hope all we like, but we're not weather gods and have next to no control over it.

So, that people are willing for a winter like '62-'63, they should not be made to feel like they are doing something wrong, it makes no difference to mother nature whatever we 'want'.

I totally disagree. Recently a few of the intelligentsia on here wanted  an intense depression to verify as it would be fun and interesting. The fact that it was extremely unlikely to verify is immaterial,  The actual intent of wanting something presumes you are aware of the consequences if it does occur and you couldn't give a toss as long as it's fun and interesting

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

I totally disagree. Recently a few of the intelligentsia on here wanted  an intense depression to verify as it would be fun and interesting. The fact that it was extremely unlikely to verify is immaterial,  The actual intent of wanting something presumes you are aware of the consequences if it does occur and you couldn't give a toss.

It's a weather enthusiast forum

We look for weather extremes as part of our hobby! Some unusual weather event in our lifetimes is pbly what ignited our passion in weather. I don't think there's many on here because we got a dull bland Christmas!!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

I totally disagree. Recently a few of the intelligentsia on here wanted  an intense depression to verify as it would be fun and interesting. The fact that it was extremely unlikely to verify is immaterial,  The actual intent of wanting something presumes you are aware of the consequences if it does occur and you couldn't give a toss as long as it's fun and interesting

yes, but after all is said and done, it's meaningless.   Humans by nature, are curious and morbidly so at times, so wanting a bit of chaos is fine, so long as you have no intention or hand in its creation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
17 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

There's too much money to be gained from "dirty" energy. As long as the likes of Saudi Arabia has billions/trillions barrels of oil nothing will change. The energy bosses have a lot more power than extinction rebellion.

not heard the saying nobody wants you when your old.companys don't catter for the old but for the young how spend the money oil and coal are on there last legs as the young will not except the changes which are happening.the Arab states in the future will turn of the oil and replace there deserts with millions of solar panels and instead of selling oil it will be electric 

Posted
10 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

It's a weather enthusiast forum

We look for weather extremes as part of our hobby! Some unusual weather event in our lifetimes is pbly what ignited our passion in weather. I don't think there's many on here because we got a dull bland Christmas!!

I have been posting on here under a total misapprehension in that case as I thought it was forum about weather and meteorology, including extremes. And as far As I'm aware having a passion for something and common sense are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I'd love a winter like '63, but that doesn't mean that my wanting that is going to kill the elderly or animals etc

Fair point, the weather do as it sees fit,  I  think that if you have had first hand experience of extreme conditions , then   ,as in a lot of other things in life, you know what it is that you are letting yourself in for.  My  lads for example are in their 30's but with the exception of 2010 , (which lasted for just under a month )have never experienced snow and cold lasting for weeks on end.  

The other thing is back in 62/3 78/9   most homes were still using coal fires, albeit in just the living room as a rule, these days , most rely on central heating, no power = no heat .

• Like 1