Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted

Well, time for a moan on my part.

Looks like my least favourite weather from an interest POV.. cloudy and boring. Maybe slightly better than persistent rain that we've had a lot of.

However a unique factor, but as I kitesurf I could usually make the most of mild winter conditions.. You would expect at least a breeze with such mild temps in winter.
One reason I wasn't feeling as 'disappointed' with the outlook as I may have in the past.

Nope... Not even going to be enough wind down here. Looked like there could have been, but it's going to manage the fine balance between there being enough wind, or the high being overhead and maybe giving some crisp sunny weather. So we will basically get the worst of both worlds for several days on end.

So I won't be able to do that during these holidays either (I could have tomorrow if we weren't visiting family in Birmingham). That's after most weekends in Autumn seemed to see the wind die or become unsuitable after about 4 good days in the working week, and also often feature gloom or persistent rain at weekends :oldrolleyes:

Also looks about right for the wind to come back on the 2nd Jan when I go back to work. Really can't win...

Roll on April.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Looking to summer already in all honesty. Down here we always get at least a few days of +30c even in a poor summer year. Cannot say the same for snow and ice days!

• Like 3

Posted

Next winter may be more likely to be cold based on solar cycle and QBO but that's a year away and a lot can go wrong by then. 

For example, a strong enso event can easily screw up our chances. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Keep the faith people.Big changes coming late January going through much of  Febuary, reading elsewhere ⛷️

The problem with late winter cold is that it usually means that the beginning of spring will be delayed and it can continue into april, also the sun gets stronger so even in just beginning of february the sun melts snow on dark areas with global radiation

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Keep the faith people.Big changes coming late January going through much of  Febuary, reading elsewhere ⛷️

An early Spring hopefully and the deafening silence of mute chionophiles Oh the joy

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, karyo said:

Next winter may be more likely to be cold based on solar cycle and QBO but that's a year away and a lot can go wrong by then. 

Indeed karyo -- and those two variables are hardly the strongest of signals either: IMO, the presence (or absense) of a vast pool of warm air, over Southern Europe, ought to be of much more immediate concern... (The QBO's link to SSWs notwithstanding, of course.) ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, knocker said:

An early Spring hopefully and the deafening silence of mute chionophiles Oh the joy

With a little help from my Foehns?:santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

With a little help from my Foehns?:santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Just the last thing we need for housed cattle after two months of humid  mostly calm wet weather resulting in numerous pneumonias in the last few days  needing treatment. in spite of being vaccinated at the begining of November. Putting them outside is not an option as ground so wet all pastures would be destroyed by their feet.

Role on a few cold/frosty breezy days. At least there is a breeze this morning to change the air in the sheds

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking very poor for this festive weekend,temps again far to high. To be honest not seeing anything at all in the models to suggest a Winter is now here,very disappointing again. Climate change deniers should take a very hard look at themselves,the uk weather has changed at a remarkable rate,this is not mother Natures doing,it certainly is ours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

What a load of poo the models are atm, only a week or so ago things where looking potentially exciting around new year but now it’s absolutely s##t to say the least. 
One hope we do have is that a small change in the models will make all the difference later on so keep the chin up people it will all look a lot different in a few days I’m sure.

anyway I love all that Boxing Day footy so that will hopefully keep me away from the models today. Only problem I have now is that blues are pretty much as dump as the models

kro 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost hail, ice.

As an enthusiastic hill walker, I am really looking forward to this mild benign weather, best weather for hill walking, havent been out hill walking since september because of our hideous weather. The 12 bens in connemara are beautiful to climb, I think i will do BenLettery which is 670 metres above sea level, a lovely soft  grassy surface until the top 100metres which is quite rocky, beautiful scenes looking out onto the atlantic ocean to the west and the bens to the east. What a treat for december.

Edited by Minus 10
typo
  • Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

Looking very poor for this festive weekend,temps again far to high. To be honest not seeing anything at all in the models to suggest a Winter is now here,very disappointing again. Climate change deniers should take a very hard look at themselves,the uk weather has changed at a remarkable rate,this is not mother Natures doing,it certainly is ours.

Not unusual to have mild winters though. In fact, it is more unusual to have cold winters in Southern UK, at least. My earlier post from a couple of days ago outlines last 50 years (in summary) for these parts.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Looking to summer already in all honesty. Down here we always get at least a few days of +30c even in a poor summer year. Cannot say the same for snow and ice days!

Yeah, but that doesn’t make the summer great does it. We’ve achieved 30c, in the southeast every summer going all the way back to 1975, but there’s been some long periods of cool and mediocre spells.

It will be really annoying if we end up with a mild winter, then a bland summer where temps are stuck in the 21-23c region with cloudy and dreary conditions. 

Posted
37 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Not unusual to have mild winters though. In fact, it is more unusual to have cold winters in Southern UK, at least. My earlier post from a couple of days ago outlines last 50 years (in summary) for these parts.

I disagree,the rate of change is the key. Mild winters occur,but the stats speak for themselves. The rate with which we are experiencing them is far out stripping any liner rise or fall you would expect naturally,surely you must agree? The last 50 years data proves it without doubt. Look at the frequency of record breaking figures across the globe year after year now. The climate has changed at a rate never seen before,sorry but that is fact,not my opinion but fact. The driving force is ourselves, anybody who believes other wise is just bearing their head in the sand. Sorry.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, markyo said:

I think you need to be corrected on that. My uncle tells me(sorry I have to refer to my uncle time and time again, he was born in 1948) the winters of the 1970s were mild and damp, and even winters of the 80s were disappointing. 1980/81 had very little snow, and 82/83 was very disappointing from a southeast perspective. 

1974/75 was another terrible winter for lack of snow. 

People seem to also forget, that up until 6 years ago, we had experienced some of the coldest winter spells since the 1978/79 and even as far back as 1910. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

I disagree,the rate of change is the key. Mild winters occur,but the stats speak for themselves. The rate with which we are experiencing them is far out stripping any liner rise or fall you would expect naturally,surely you must agree? The last 50 years data proves it without doubt. .

A warming has been gradually taking place since the mid 1970s, but the UK weather has always been unpredictable.

Posted
2 hours ago, karyo said:

Also need to see a better North Atlantic SST profile develop, a cooling of the SST’s the the North East Pacific, plus no more than a moderate ENSO, be it Nino or Nina.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think you need to be corrected on that. My uncle tells me(sorry I have to refer to my uncle time and time again, he was born in 1948) the winters of the 1970s were mild and damp, and even winters of the 80s were disappointing. 1980/81 had very little snow, and 82/83 was very disappointing from a southeast perspective. 

People seem to also forget, that up until 6 years ago, we had experienced some of the coldest winter spells since the 1978/79 and even as far back as 1910. 

Your not getting it at all. I lived through the 60's 70's,80's. You quote certain winters and certain areas, that is not the full picture. Yes the climate has been warming,it's the rate it's now warming that is the issue. Its not linear,a external factor,ie humans are causing this. Just look at the planet as a whole and not just certain winters or the southeast perspective. We have changed the climate,near enough every climate scientist now agrees. Now is not the time to deny it i'm afraid,sorry. 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Ugh..still traumatised by the winter of 1974/75. Was genuinely rank. We had more snow in October of 1974 than in the entire winter which followed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, but that doesn’t make the summer great does it. We’ve achieved 30c, in the southeast every summer going all the way back to 1975, but there’s been some long periods of cool and mediocre spells.

It will be really annoying if we end up with a mild winter, then a bland summer where temps are stuck in the 21-23c region with cloudy and dreary conditions. 

Yes, but at least 30c does occur every summer. 

Most winters we are chasing shadows and up with sod all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Not very exciting charts for the foreseeable future, very bland in fact and not wintry, at all. The only good thing is that rainfall should not be quite as frequent and heavy, so the distinct threat of flooding in many areas will now recede, thankfully. We still have over 2 months of winter proper to go, so there’s plenty of time yet for a big change in the weather, seen it happen many times. Hope everyone here is having a great Christmas, in the meantime I’m working over both Christmas and a New Year but making the best of it. Cheers  

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

We avoided 30C in 1993 and almost 2007.

Posted
3 hours ago, karyo said:

Solar cycle is not an issue already. Of all top 11 spotless years since 1850 this will be only the third to see the December CET exceed 5.3C. We have never seen a January warmer than 4.7C.