Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, Lampostwatcher said:

No greeny high 

No northerly 

No scandy high 

On any models atm 

In the next 2 weeks

and any cold in Fi remains there or vanishes. It's becoming pointless giving  these runs the time of day. Now the only purpose commenting on them serves, is to boost your likes quota 

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

Global warming not good time to celebrate the earth will slowly die.

No, humans will slowly die. Human CO2 emissions will stop. The vegetation will grow with lots of CO2 fuel and no one to interfere and the world will return. 

• Like 1

Posted

The days of looking to finland and seeing minus 45 c on the maps and then almost knowing the winds would be becoming from that direction a few weeks later are a distant memory from childhood,never to be repeated I fear.Late 70s to late 80s 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

No, humans will slowly die. Human CO2 emissions will stop. The vegetation will grow with lots of CO2 fuel and no one to interfere and the world will return. 

Yes I said earth that means animals eco systems along with humans but as i said no time to celebrate and i stand by that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
4 hours ago, Mr TOAD said:

You can pay to replace my damaged fence panels then in that event, like I had to pay to replace them in 2013/14.

Lol! Everytime there is wind I’m to blame 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Up until around 2010 dec was the only month that didn't show much of a warming trend. Sadly this decade it seems to have been brought into line.

• Like 2

Posted

The weather in 1919,nowts changed much really.

October - Very dry, cold and sunny.

Mean Temperature  7.4°C  

Monthly Highest 18.5°C  Total Rain  14 mm

Monthly Lowest -2.0°C Total Sun 121 hrs

After a warm start to the month, with the temperature rising above 18°C. on the 1st, it became much cooler with more than half the nights during the month experiencing a ground frost. Several air frosts occurred too, especially towards the end of October when days also became cold. On the 28th, the maximum temperature was only 6.4°C. measurable rain fell on 9 days during October, but it was light, although nearly 4mm was recorded on the 24th.

November - Very cold, dry and rather dull.

Mean Temperature  4.1°C  

Monthly Highest 13.9°C  Total Rain 27 mm

Monthly Lowest -3.4°C Total Sun 45 hrs

The opening fortnight of the month was mostly dull with winds blowing from a cold northerly point. Light rain and drizzle occurred at times, and even a little sleet. After mid month, it became brighter but still mostly cold. On the 23rd, the temperature rose close to 14°C, but after a sharp frost, the high on the 27th was only 2.2°C. Sleet or snow was observed on 8 days during November, but precipitation was mostly light. However, on the 29th nearly 7mm of rain fell.

December - Very dull, wet and rather mild.

Mean Temperature  6.0°C  

Monthly Highest 12.3°C  Total Rain 95 mm

Monthly Lowest -4.9°C Total Sun 25 hrs

This was a very unsettled month with only 7 days without measurable rain. However, much of the rain was light and drizzly. The wettest day was the 1st when over 17mm of rain was measured. Most days were mild but a short cold snap began at the end of the first week, and on the 9th the temperature only reached 2.6°C. There were several overnight frosts, but mild weather soon returned and remained for the rest of December.On the 23rd, the high was above 12°C.

http://www.london-weather.eu/article.59.html

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
10 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Lets face it, any meaningful cold over the next 10 day's is a dud... Time to look towards January for something better.. If that fails, then there is still February and March! Luckily I've got very thick skin, must admit though, I'm shedding a few layers playing the waiting game. Great charts blizzard81.... I really like the look of that 50% of marks and Spencers gifts... At least that's something..

graphe_ens3.png

Well you least have a sense of humour,whatever the weather.yes see what January brings at some stage hopefully winter!remember snow isn't just for Xmas,April can deliverUTO

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Lets face it, any meaningful cold over the next 10 day's is a dud... Time to look towards January for something better.. If that fails, then there is still February and March! Luckily I've got very thick skin, must admit though, I'm shedding a few layers playing the waiting game. Great charts blizzard81.... I really like the look of that 50% of marks and Spencers gifts... At least that's something..

graphe_ens3.png

The irony of it. I never shop at M & S. Can't afford lol

• Like 3

Posted
43 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

The days of looking to finland and seeing minus 45 c on the maps and then almost knowing the winds would be becoming from that direction a few weeks later are a distant memory from childhood,never to be repeated I fear.Late 70s to late 80s 

I've been reading the records of weather I've kept since 1975.looking at winters esp 78;79;81 etc and some of the contrasts to the last ten years are staggering.great times for those of a certain age

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, IDO said:

All the models handling that low differently and keep switching between the possible scenarios. ECM keeps it as a satellite to the core low, UKMO splits it NE and SE, and GFS runs it through the centre of the UK. What we know is that either way the long-wave pattern stays resolute to the last 4-days modelling; ridge falling. The UKMO switch this morning means the ridge falls slower than the other scenarios, so it may look better than the others at D6, but GFS has had this alternative a few runs and we still end up at D8 with a flattened ridge unfortunately.

Then let's hope we have a WTF moment

• Like 4

Posted
59 minutes ago, booferking said:

Global warming not good time to celebrate the earth will slowly die.

I was actually celebrating the welcome reduction of the relentless and repetitive squawking  of the cold fraternity, not the demise of the earth

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

I was actually celebrating the welcome reduction of the relentless and repetitive squawking  of the cold fraternity, not the demise of the earth

Made me laugh.merry Xmas knocker

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Not bad for the time of year

All too familiar with how that scenario plays out. The west facing hills get a real orographic drenching while areas such as mine in the rain shadow get spits and spots in the wind, alternating with odd glimpses of the sun. The most notable thing by far though being just how mild it feels...positively springlike!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
13 minutes ago, swfc said:

I've been reading the records of weather I've kept since 1975.looking at winters esp 78;79;81 etc and some of the contrasts to the last ten years are staggering.great times for those of a certain age

swfc , I enjoyed all those especially 79, probably the coldest prolonged spell since the record breaking 62/63. If my memory serves me right it was the normal to have predominant continental feed for many winters in the 60s . 69 was especially snowy with Polar Low features. I measured 20 inch fall in one day near Macclesfield and the temp fell to -7c during its passage ( late afternoon ) After its passage with Nly wind picked up gusting to nearly gale force for about 30minutes blowing the snow into 3 feet drifts, then all calm and starry.

C

• Like 3

Posted

Snoozefest output from 06z GFS. The best you can say is the weather will be relatively benign and drier than it has been in the south of the UK. But the general advice would be to forget about any interest from the weather and go and do something more stimulating like stamp collecting. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, carinthian said:

swfc , I enjoyed all those especially 79, probably the coldest prolonged spell since the record breaking 62/63. If my memory serves me right it was the normal to have predominant continental feed for many winters in the 60s . 69 was especially snowy with Polar Low features. I measured 20 inch fall in one day near Macclesfield and the temp fell to -7c during its passage ( late afternoon ) After its passage with Nly wind picked up gusting to nearly gale force for about 30minutes blowing the snow into 3 feet drifts, then all calm and starry.

C

Yes carinthian 79 was extreme.i remember making my way from Sheffield town centre on foot"buses cancelled'to a place called Brighton.it was very open on one rd with fields etc and snowing and blowing to the extreme.isuddenly felt myself sink slightly.i kicked the snow away and realised I was on a car roof burried in the rd.yes the 60s,late 70s and early80s were memorable indeed

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
17 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

With winter fast approaching its mid-way point, everything's going along just 'as anticipated': raging zonality and with nary a sight of any deep cold coming this way...?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Or, should you be an eternal optimist...WTF!:oldgrin:

General Custer was an optimist too until his wtf moment at the Little Bighorn   

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

Snoozefest output from 06z GFS. The best you can say is the weather will be relatively benign and drier than it has been in the south of the UK. But the general advice would be to forget about any interest from the weather and go and do something more stimulating like stamp collecting. 

Or watching paint dry!  Searching for cold at the moment is almost like looking for it in July!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Or watching paint dry!  Searching for cold at the moment is almost like looking for it in July!

Or watching the grass grow, which could well happen if temperatures do indeed rise as high as 14c!

• Like 1

Posted

One thing I have always found very odd in this forum is the apparent lack of interest in the weather, and in particular synoptic meteorology, unless cold and snow are on the menu. If that is missing everything else is dross

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Or watching the grass grow, which could well happen if temperatures do indeed rise as high as 14c!

Don't forget the daffodils!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

One thing I have always found very odd in this forum is the apparent lack of interest in the weather, and in particular synoptic meteorology, unless cold and snow are on the menu. If that is missing everything else is dross

I for one am not thinking of cold or snow. My primary concerns are...’when is it going to stop raining’ and ‘when will the floodwaters go away’

It can be as mild as it likes for the next few weeks, all I and I suspect the majority of forumites care about right now is that it stops raining, and soon. We’ve had this rotten wet weather for months now, and to say that we’re fed up of it is the understatement of the year.

• Like 3