Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, ricey076 said:

Anyone know we’re frosty is ??

His dad is seriously ill so he is offline.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

I think we need to change the winter model forum to the new name of the never ending rain and mild forum as winters nowadays don't exist.i also wish people would not mention the name snow anymore sometimes I wonder if they just like winding people up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Personally if we can’t get any decent cold and snow I’d much rather see some deep Atlantic storms with severe gales, at least for me that’s exciting 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
31 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Personally if we can’t get any decent cold and snow I’d much rather see some deep Atlantic storms with severe gales, at least for me that’s exciting 

I'd rather see dry and warm, SW'lys pumping hot air

knocker won't like this post, he seems to like wet n windy

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Well you should be happy as it looks like that's exactly what we're going to get after Christmas. Winter 2019/20 showing signs of being another one flattering to deceive if you are a cold fan. January has been especially disappointing in the last 20 years.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

Well you should be happy as it looks like that's exactly what we're going to get after Christmas. Winter 2019/20 showing signs of being another one flattering to deceive if you are a cold fan. January has been especially disappointing in the last 20 years.

January been affected the most perhaps in the modern eera, although February not far behind

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I haven't had a decent cold spell in Jan since 2010,haven't had a decent cold spell during the second half of Jan since the pre 87/88 winters. Not expecting much from this coming Jan either. 

I will put all my eggs into the Feb basket. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
25 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Wouldn’t mind if they were storm force sw’lys, don’t like boring mild benign nothingness

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

LOL- 168 EC

image.thumb.png.f155e105218d2f790aec19056df09a1b.png

We struggle for those 850s in summer and now we get them in late Dec..

Yes disgusting charts  if your looking for cold and snow,amazing how we get high pressure building up from the South in the winter months,but it disappears in any other season.Been like it for decades now.

An extremely poor outlook for cold weather fans,let’s hope the New Year brings a chance,at least drying up a bit ,is the only positive.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

An extremely poor outlook for cold weather fans,let’s hope the New Year brings a chance,at least drying up a bit ,is the only positive.

It just goes from bad to worse!  Also, seeing some of those temps in Europe isn’t good, either!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Basically a load of tosh. We’re looking for -5/-10 850s and we’re getting +5/+10 instead. Relentless since October, wind and endless rain. Loads of areas suffering flooding....I didn’t think in September that autumn and the first chunk of winter would be this bad. We’ve seen 1/3 of it pass us by with literally nothing to cheer. It’s a bit of a sorry state.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
10 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Very poor December for snow in Europe,most of us appart from Scandi will not have white Christmas,we are all in it together Im afraid.What was a day ago looking like a reasonable pattern for cold in central EU is turning in to a 2 day event. UKMO spotted the debacle first,ECMWF was going with its usual blocking nonsense and it finally backtracked tonight. What strikes me the most is the throughing activity west of Ireland that suddenly appears at 5 days out and just intensifies,on the other hand the throughing down to Europe from Scandi is downgraded by each output and we end up with -4C T850hPa for few days. This has happened already about 3 times since November. Azores high is quickly to the rescue of mild Europe once South Eastern high recendes,one or the other subtropical high oscilating to keep Europe firmly in mild weather. Disgusting

I wouldn't bet against this happening all winter long with a change coming in spring. 

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well, the hunt for cold goes on.

Perhaps the faintest glimmer day 8/9 on EC of some effort at Atlantic ridging but still way to much strength in the jet stream to allow for a break in the +NAO status quo..

Its getting to squeaky bum time for me personally - these set ups can literally eat away into Winter months rapidly and before you know it, its March.

I'm not suggesting it will happen, but i'm sure i'm not alone in feeling very deflated......again.

think we should be used to it by now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

LOL- 168 EC

image.thumb.png.f155e105218d2f790aec19056df09a1b.png

We struggle for those 850s in summer and now we get them in late Dec..

image.thumb.png.36c373b224caf726739e00a48019c6eb.png

True but then people would be moaning about the rapid cool down afterwards and calling it a 2 day heatwave

To be fair, here in the tropical south, we have had 2 blinding summers in a row, especially 2018

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I wouldn't bet against this happening all winter long with a change coming in spring. 

For now I'll try to take comfort in the fact that it's very rare for a single pattern to last an whole season. February is only just under 6 weeks away though, surely things will be different by then. Hopefully in a much more cold and snowy type of way.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Basically a load of tosh. We’re looking for -5/-10 850s and we’re getting +5/+10 instead. Relentless since October, wind and endless rain. Loads of areas suffering flooding....I didn’t think in September that autumn and the first chunk of winter would be this bad. We’ve seen 1/3 of it pass us by with literally nothing to cheer. It’s a bit of a sorry state.

Not great is it? I had some optimism for this winter due to the deep solar minimum we have entered.

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted
6 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Not great is it? I had some optimism for this winter due to the deep solar minimum we have entered.

I never have optimism for winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I'm currently in Estonia for a wedding & was hoping there would be snow but there's none at all. Not too cold either. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Watched the Country File forecast, I could have condensed it into five words, " It's going to be S...te "

• Like 2

Posted
On 20/12/2019 at 08:26, snowblizzard said:

This current pattern very reminiscent of winter 2013/2014

Conveyor belt across the Atlantic feeding low after low on a strong jet stream

So much rain during December, floods at Christmas in SE England

Not good if you are hoping for colder, wintry conditions!

Maybe similar in respect of the low pressure piling in off the Atlantic but no way as extreme. No big storms this time around, more standard Atlantic onslaught.

Posted
1 hour ago, bobbydog said:

Best chances of cold weather usually happen at the start of the new solar cycle, especially if it is an odd to even solar cycle so I have little hope this one will deliver much as we are even to odd this time. Best chances of cold are around 2029 to 2032.

Posted
Just now, SqueakheartLW said:

Best chances of cold weather usually happen at the start of the new solar cycle, especially if it is an odd to even solar cycle so I have little hope this one will deliver much as we are even to odd this time. Best chances of cold are around 2029 to 2032.

Going by the 11 year (roughly) cycle, we are at the equivalent of 2008/2009 by timescale and we have surpassed the space-age record minima this year. There was a decent snowfall in february 2009 and 2009/10 and 2010/11 were two of the snowiest winters I have experienced since living in the south east (30 years) after moving down from the north east. Obviously there are no fixed rules where the weather is concerned but we are long overdue a decent spell of snowy weather. Bear in mind some of the most memorable snowfalls have only really lasted a week or two...