Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

To be honest, I accepted ages ago that snow is becoming increasingly rare, and now I just embrace what we get - if it’s going to be mild then we might as well break a few records. 20C on Christmas anyone? Would we even be surprised at this point?

Yes why not if there's no snow etc I'm not against that

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

To be honest, I accepted ages ago that snow is becoming increasingly rare, and now I just embrace what we get - if it’s going to be mild then we might as well break a few records. 20C on Christmas anyone? Would we even be surprised at this point?

You are right of course..

We are living in the wrong era for cold and snow...

Its that sumple.

The only question is this the future or part of a cycle.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Records are there to be broken. If we did get 20C on Christmas Day then we'd be many degrees above the Christmas Day record. Our best chance to get 20C in December was in 2015 when we managed 19C at some point during the month. December during the 2010's has seen the biggest differences in CET extremes from 2010 with -0.7C to 2015 with 9.7C.

Goes with the general theme of the 2010's which has seen some notable extremes throughout. This winter seems to be the wet weather that is the most notable feature so far.

Posted
3 hours ago, Jason M said:

Not just us having a 'green' Xmas. Moscow isn't faring much better this year. BBC website saying 9c there on Monday.

10C tomorrow here in Kiev, 11C on Monday. This "winter" really is taking the biscuit. Today was "only" 8C (still well above average for here).

I'm flying to the UK on Monday, so there's any chance of Christmas cold down the drain. Just watch Central and Eastern Europe suddenly go into the freezer at the same time. 

Posted

Given the ongoing discussion about unreliability in the models beyond a few days, to help me get a better perspective, compared to last year, how many 'toppled' opportunities for northern blocking were there? Not asking for a friend, genuinely interested, as it seems this winter appears tantalising to my very inexperienced eye. Thanks. 

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

At least it looks a mainly dry run...

Yes and that's the best thing about it NW

• Like 1

Posted
On 20/12/2019 at 09:34, stainesbloke said:

Have a fantastic time! Might be a bit busy in the Old Town, go early lol. More thick fog this morning, feeling more seasonal though not as cold as it should be.

Thanks!  Prague is a great city and the Old Town is busy as expected, but nice!  Needless to say, several people have commented that winters aren’t what they used to be in Prague!  That said, I’m sure you will get snow at some point between now and March!  Southern England?  Not so sure!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swfc said:

Yes and that's the best thing about it NW

If anyone thinks that the models are not going to show slight changes per run then there going to go insane.whsts the theme today??the other night people were talking about snow fall at 13 days on that 18z.why because it's wintry?anything less gets analysed to death .anyway merry Xmas and good luck with ridgegate

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Well, we managed 70f in February, so no, I wouldn’t be surprised if we hit 20c Christmas Day!  However, that’s not something I would like!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Don said:

Well, we managed 70f in February, so no, I wouldn’t be surprised if we hit 20c Christmas Day!  However, that’s not something I would like!

All know by now, UK winters are getting milder, Tom Martin Williams

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

All know by now, UK winters are getting milder, Tom Martin Williams

Yes, we’ve known it for 30 years and to be fair, what’s happening now is inline with predictions back then!  However, as I keep saying, that doesn’t make it any better!  Terry Michael Wood

Edited by Don

54 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Hopefully the models are over doing the rise of pressure to the South,they have done it enough times with high pressure over scandi and Greenland ,where the pattern nearly always flattens out to nothing !

As nice as it would be to see a bit of snow, a decent period of fine, sunny weather would be equally just as nice, wouldn't you agree? 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, LRD said:

Thanks

It's something to watch though. Will ECM move towards GFS or vice versa? Or, as you say, will they meet in the middle? At least we have a positive to cautiously cling on to for now

To be fair though, even in the mildest of winters, there was most likely always a positive to cautiously cling on to!  However, we won’t be able to properly rate winter 2019/20 until March.  So, for now, all to play for!  However, my bet would still very much be on a mild winter.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms
8 hours ago, legritter said:

Hi Gang, last nights GFS certainly put me to sleep with lovely dreams of Arctic mayhem, and snow by the bucket. Todays runs ,well i am only looking at  the most out to 168 hrs ,as i expect plenty of twists as there is a lot going on as i expect a major change to the northern hemisphere pattern come new year ,yes new year gang .not only can i feel it in my water but the way the charts are changing tells me something is LURKING , my fridge magnet of Michael fish fell off  overnight , the last time this happened the beast turned up ,cheers gang STEllas on me .

20191221_104955.jpg

Must be made like the old magnetic weather symbols he used to use!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, Don said:

To be fair though, even in the mildest of winters, there was most likely always a positive to cautiously cling on to!  However, we won’t be able to properly rate winter 2019/20 until March.  So, for now, all to play for!  However, my bet would still very much be on a mild winter.

You surprise me. 

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

10C tomorrow here in Kiev, 11C on Monday. This "winter" really is taking the biscuit. Today was "only" 8C (still well above average for here).

Lashing it down today.

Posted
17 hours ago, swfc said:

Yes why not if there's no snow etc I'm not against that

No thanks. I would rather it remain damp and mild, if we can’t achieve a cold crisp or snowy Christmas.

Blue skies and a warm day would feel awful. 

Posted

not looking forward  going to work on monday the river near us was  very high all the fields are flooded it been pouring down all night, and with  the models saying boxing day could be very nasty , plus if you look into fantasy world into the new year  more rain heading our way,

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Don said:

Thanks!  Prague is a great city and the Old Town is busy as expected, but nice!  Needless to say, several people have commented that winters aren’t what they used to be in Prague!  That said, I’m sure you will get snow at some point between now and March!  Southern England?  Not so sure!

Winters aren’t what they used to be since 1987, well 1987 for the UK anyway. 

That said, the snow will arrive at some point.

Posted

Just for context, in astronomical terms Winter has only just started meaning we've got an whole 3 months until it ends. Who knows what the weather will bring in that time. 

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
43 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Winters aren’t what they used to be since 1987, well 1987 for the UK anyway. 

That said, the snow will arrive at some point.

Yes, I think it was probably some years later for Eastern Europe, before they really saw a difference?

Edited by Don

Posted

Just has a side note the seasonal models-meto seem to have been pretty accurate going threw them.shame they were not last year