Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Leaving from the UK tonight. Leaving behind a good 10cm snow here in Calgary. On the plus side I guess it'll be much warmer in the UK. Shorts, maybe?! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, swfc said:

Does anyone know what happened to Dave "TEITS"not seen him post for ages

I've been wondering where he is, too.  I don't remember him posting last year either.

• Like 1

Posted

Off to Prague on the 18th for a pre-Christmas getaway and it's looking pretty mild with temps in high single figures.

Edited by Don

Posted
36 minutes ago, Don said:

Off to Prague on the 18th for a pre-Christmas getaway and it's looking pretty mild with temps in high single figures.

You think that's bad? I'm off to Ukraine on the same date to experience some proper Eastern-European winter. The forecast temperature?

14C. Fourteen.

Posted
14 hours ago, jules216 said:

Our last hooray before execution next week, about 40cm by now I reckon,this is from a village 30km north of my city

79284643_10157981574508453_3921868108381290496_o.jpg

79477741_10157981574893453_7903941397575630848_o.jpg

Another bust in Bratislava. Snowed for a while yesterday evening but failed to get more to than about 1cm. That's probably it until after Christmas. What a terrible start to winter. And that's without the epic Ukraine fail.

Posted
11 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

You think that's bad? I'm off to Ukraine on the same date to experience some proper Eastern-European winter. The forecast temperature?

14C. Fourteen.

Not good is it?!

Just had abouslutly crazy lightning show in |Darwen Lancashire (near blackburn) , and heaviest rain I ever seen , looked more like sleet but its a bit dark , but my question is nothing showing on netweather radar.. I know we are very high up here so maybe localised ... but lightning is intense, mrs is scared to death lol

Posted
4 minutes ago, Westonchris said:

Just had abouslutly crazy lightning show in |Darwen Lancashire (near blackburn) , and heaviest rain I ever seen , looked more like sleet but its a bit dark , but my question is nothing showing on netweather radar.. I know we are very high up here so maybe localised ... but lightning is intense, mrs is scared to death lol

Sleet is picked up on the radar around that area so likely you had that. 

Screenshot_20191213_234749_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.6612f4fc464f2a28bf1b8eed105868e1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted

For those not aware (likely a minority on here), sunset times have already started getting later in the south but northern UK sees the earliest sunset today or tomorrow. The latest sunrise is around the 28th in northern Scotland and 31st in southern England. It was only last year that I learned that latest sunrise and earliest sunset were separated by a couple of week so. I still struggle to get my head around it!

spacer.png
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

month, year, day, date, break of day, sunup, sunrise, first light, daylight, morning, sunset, sundown, evening, dusk, night, nightfall, twilight, end of day...

Edited by Aleman

Posted

We've just had a bit of white sleet here amongst the icy rain in blustery conditions as a shower whistled through. Wind picked up from maybe 15-20mph to 40mph. We're just under 100 feet so I would imagine it's driving wet snow on the hills.

Edit -

I see there's a bit of settled snow high on the M62:

?5906278383616
WWW.MOTORWAYCAMERAS.CO.UK

Motorway Traffic Cameras - View live CCTV images and traffic news. Covering the M1, M4, M5, M6, M25, M40, M60, M62 and more.

Edited by Aleman

Posted

In the last 6 years we have had 10 days of good northern blocking delivering for the UK in winter, in later Feb/early March and then mid March of 2018. That is a disgrace. Of course the prevailing winds for the UK are southwersterly but that is 530 out of 540 days with no real northern blocking in our last 6 winters. This spans 3 phases of the solar cycle (maximum, descending, minimum), this spans several East and West QBOs, this spans poor and good snow advance indexes so it is not them. Something else is influencing our weather and its been affecting us for over half a decade. Either way this rut seems neverending.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
25 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Yes, been very mild in Central Eastern Europe throughout November and December so far. Lots of positive temp anomaly temps at surface and 850mb level. Maybe ECM smells a change tonight in time for Christmas !

C

So sad to imagine all of this melt just before Christmas

20191214_111554.jpg

Posted

I think the new year will see a shift to colder conditions, and it’s not like it hasn’t been cold prior to this week. November was fairly chilly in London. 

I remember 1984,85 and 86 all had milder pre Christmas periods, only for it to turn very cold afterwards.

More recently 2017 was like this. After a mild Christmas Day, temps dropped off. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

In the last 6 years we have had 10 days of good northern blocking delivering for the UK in winter, in later Feb/early March and then mid March of 2018. That is a disgrace. Of course the prevailing winds for the UK are southwersterly but that is 530 out of 540 days with no real northern blocking in our last 6 winters. This spans 3 phases of the solar cycle (maximum, descending, minimum), this spans several East and West QBOs, this spans poor and good snow advance indexes so it is not them. Something else is influencing our weather and its been affecting us for over half a decade. Either way this rut seems neverending.

Trouble is that none of those factors have a definitive link to weather here. It’s just where we are and the Gulf Stream...add to that an ever warming climate and it’s not really a surprise. We’re doomed to have mild winters. If the Gulf Stream ever disappeared then it’d be bitter every year, which would probably please NW posters in hundreds of years time!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
9 hours ago, Aleman said:

For those not aware (likely a minority on here), sunset times have already started getting later in the south but northern UK sees the earliest sunset today or tomorrow. The latest sunrise is around the 28th in northern Scotland and 31st in southern England. It was only last year that I learned that latest sunrise and earliest sunset were separated by a couple of week so. I still struggle to get my head around it!

spacer.png
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

month, year, day, date, break of day, sunup, sunrise, first light, daylight, morning, sunset, sundown, evening, dusk, night, nightfall, twilight, end of day...

Yes they are a couple of weeks apart but strangly in summer they are only a few days apart.It may not always appear that way though as the dull and gloomy weather over 2 weeks ago made the nights seem earlier than they are now.If you got that kind of weather now it would be dark very early.Similarly in summer if it is very clear with a full moon it stays very light,i remember working on the farm at 2 am outside with no lights and you could see clearly across the valley.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

No snow here in the valley even though we have had snow and sleet today but it is white on the tops!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

I think there is some merit to the suggestion of a shift N/expansion of Hadley cell tbh, which would explain why we're seeing mean HP more influential to our S. We've seen occasions that have featured N blocking but HP to the SW/S/SE has ultimately kept us from the cold.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1