Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
30 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I've just trawled the GFS 12Z, searching in vain for 'wedges' and other assorted 'small windows of opportunity', and I must have 'lost it' -- all I can see is Continental Europe swathed in yellow/orange hues, for the foreseeable...?:oldgrin:

Maybe I just need to improve my ability at telling the difference between wedges and waffles. Who knows?!:shok:

love a wedgie me.enough of my waffling anyway im on the hunt for extreme easterlies and -15 850s.game on

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Somethings afoot I’m telling ya! ;)

Have been following the charts for getting on 15 years and I can see something brewing ......

My Christmas bag I had the decorations in sums it up.... ❄️

image.thumb.jpg.d5750d70d399265608602a3e23d57f3e.jpg

well whatevers brewing im sure it has accurate as the gem haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

All this rain is getting boring and depressing now. It's been mostly like this since late September, with cool and sunny days very few and far between. Hopefully, that will change soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On 11/12/2019 at 18:18, SLEETY said:

Dec is rarely a cold and snowy month,so people writing off December arent proving their clever or anything as it’s normal for the month not to be severe or anything.

Think we have never had a single Cet in December of even -1 c ,proves the point

The trick is to try and forecast when a cold spell is likely,and not many are successful in doing that,only the Met seem pretty good,they forecast the cold spell of March 2018 weeks in advance.

Seems and age that we have had severe cold and snow in Janauary,perhaps this will change this time..

That may be the case but what I have noticed is the lack of snowfalls pre Xmas certainly in the last 20 years.Here in the pennines it was almost guaranteed to snow pre Xmas in the 70s,80s and 90s even if that were a covering for a day or two.Nowadays it is almost the opposite yet we seem to have had more snow events in March to buck the trend,not sure why that is.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

All this rain is getting boring and depressing now. It's been mostly like this since late September, with cool and sunny days very few and far between. Hopefully, that will change soon.

well the outlook aint great.wev had that much rain in Sheffield I saw 2 penguins,2 elephants and 2 lamas walking down our rd.true story!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may be the case but what I have noticed is the lack of snowfalls pre Xmas certainly in the last 20 years.Here in the pennines it was almost guaranteed to snow pre Xmas in the 70s,80s and 90s even if that were a covering for a day or two.Nowadays it is almost the opposite yet we seem to have had more snow events in March to buck the trend,not sure why that is.

I think the march cold spells are tied in with ssw events.the general trend in the uk does seem to lend itself to milder winters in general.maybe there are exeptions to the rule 09-10 but gw I think is starting to show its hand now imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
5 minutes ago, Purga said:

Interesting hint from John Hammond this evening.....

care to elaborate? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

@ICE COLD / @John90 On the local SE weatherJH chatted about the weather leading up to Christmas to the presenters and said things look very unsettled and changeable at the moment but he wouldn't rule out anything, even seeing some 'white stuff' in the south. The 'hint' was in the way he worded it and and gave a wry smile.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
28 minutes ago, knocker said:

Sidney's Xmas day chart this morning

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-natl_wide-mslp-7275200.thumb.png.66202250bb8fa1c237b686c58763fd20.png

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I've gone out a fair few xmas day walks in recent years without a coat it's been that mild.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Our last hooray before execution next week, about 40cm by now I reckon,this is from a village 30km north of my city

79284643_10157981574508453_3921868108381290496_o.jpg

79477741_10157981574893453_7903941397575630848_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

It's like chasing rainbows or waterfalls. Might need to stick to the river streams and lakes for now until some concensus towards proper cold (below -5c average 850s) appears inside t120.?‍♂️

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

It's like chasing rainbows or waterfalls. Might need to stick to the river streams and lakes for now until some concensus towards proper cold (below -5c average 850s) appears inside t120.?‍♂️

My thoughts exactly....charts seem to be all over the place with no 'real' sign of any decent low 850's heading our way...but with this in mind, what instances have we had where by the charts have suddenly flipped and unexpected proper cold has landed on our shores ??...does this actually happen...can anyone remember such a situation ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

It's not that difficult to chase a waterfall, although perhaps ill-advised. :oldsmile:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
16 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

It's not that difficult to chase a waterfall, although perhaps ill-advised. :oldsmile:

Don't go chasing waterfalls
Please stick to the rivers
And the lakes that you're used to
I know that you're gonna have it
Your way or nothing at all
But I think you're moving too fast

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Its pretty much rained for 2 days here and i don't mean drizzle.

And this on the back of a very wet Autumn.

Another Dec ruined by low after low,after low.

Today has been absolutely vile. It’s rained solid now for over 24 hours. No weather warning from the MetO, absolute nothing. 

like you said on the regional thread, enough is enough now. I’m sick to the back teeth of the constant rainfall we’ve had. 

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its the rain i don't want Knocker.

Its getting really bad up here and we need a respite.

You and me both nws which is why more attention should be focust on the synoptic detail in the first five days. Of course that's just my biased opinion

And it may not be too bad at the beginning of next week until the fronts from this low arrive but hopefully not much rain on them either

index.thumb.png.4acca2b39d918ddb92faf8c2152586ae.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2