Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hunt For Cold Model Thread - Should It Return?

Would you like to see a ‘Hunt For Cold’ Model thread return?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a ‘Hunt For Cold’ Model thread return?

• No way man, it’s fine as it is
    • No. But yes to in depth technical model thread
    • No. But yes to in depth technical model thread and short range model thread
    • Yes
    • Yes + general model thread
    • Yes + general model thread + short range model thread
    • Yes + general model thread + in depth technical model thread
    • Yes + general model thread + in depth technical model thread + short range model thread
    • How about a model moans, banter and ramps thread?
    • Other (feel free to specify)

Posted

An aspect of the current thread that is generally overlooked is that important weather developments in the reliable time frame, other than cold and snow, are frequently ignored in the rush to get to a possible snowflake many days down the road.There have been numerous examples of this and to me it's a practice that is inexcusable on a reputable weather forum and is simply down the the flawed concept of 'hunting for cold' at any cost.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
39 minutes ago, knocker said:

An aspect of the current thread that is generally overlooked is that important weather developments in the reliable time frame, other than cold and snow, are frequently ignored in the rush to get to a possible snowflake many days down the road.There have been numerous examples of this and to me it's a practice that is inexcusable on a reputable weather forum and is simply down the the flawed concept of 'hunting for cold' at any cost.

If it can remove the cold rampers from the MOD thread and leave it to posters like yourself who are grounded in reality, then let them put their hope casts in there instead.

• Like 4

Posted

How about two model threads.

One for the semi reliable timeframe ,so say for example,days 1-6 ,for short term discussion,then another thread for the longer range discussion, day 7 onwards.

• Like 1

Posted

Here here knocker and lassie.  But I wonder how many will use it? I hope it gets the more IMBY people out of the mod thread.  It's so hard to keep up with it when there's so many one liners like....... How about the snow chances in........? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
7 hours ago, jordan smith said:

I hope i'm included in that list.. but You've misunderstood/misinterpreted my post matt.. your reply really should of been quoted to the person I quoted I quoted ira252 and pointed him out on his view about the thread being redundant ie not useful with "only" 4 posters like John snow Ed Stone etc as if them 4 posters that he quoted didn't give much value to the mod thread so I actually was mostly in agreement with you.. please reread what I said and what he said too and you'll see what I mean.

The only thing that still stands is mine and others informative posts are obscured at times by one word posts of a fi chart that add little value to the thread in themselves as no information to back the chart up or on what it's showing and tend to lead atleast part of the thread off topic ie previous events. Which is why I feel there should be a separate thread for the cold talk FI charts.

Sorry Jordan, didn't read the original post. Yes mate you do a really good summary with your forecasts... Adds something a little different. Like I said there are 2 many good posters to single out. Regarding a cold hunt thread... I will just go with the flow, whatever everyone is happy with, I will go with..

• Like 1

Posted

I personally don't see an issue with the main thread as it is.

You have guys like Knocker etc keeping us up to date with the current and short to medium term stuff and then others posting about the longer term prospects and chase for cold and snow. I think the thread is working very well at the moment.

If we do enter a cold/snowy spell then folk tend to drift off to the Regionals anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, knocker said:

Honestly Knocker. I don't ignore the excellent charts and summaries you provide (South Westerly zephers aside). If folk want to ignore your posts and others that's up to them, but they are going to ignore them in any thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It could be a long old winter in the mad thread given the way some are acting already and it's still only Autumn so god knows what 2 threads would be like

Look at this morning Knocker posts a chart which clearly shows colder in the south and slightly milder in the north yet some instantly feel the need to get uptight about it

It's almost like you're only allowed to post charts from deepest fantasy land that show cold and snow to please the masses

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

If it can remove the cold rampers from the MOD thread and leave it to posters like yourself who are grounded in reality, then let them put their hope casts in there instead.

Agreed - as knocker and others have said - that thread gets overrun with FI snowmaggedon type posts and is allowed because a day 10 chart shows it. It does derail the sensible and balanced side of model discussion and the probable gets lost. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything seasonal
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

How about two model threads.

One for the semi reliable timeframe ,so say for example,days 1-6 ,for short term discussion,then another thread for the longer range discussion, day 7 onwards.

Yes I agree with this - perhaps one Short Range and one Medium Range thread? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

TBH, I don't think it'd make much difference, were there to be ten threads, the same arguments would go on...My own pet hate (FWIW) is posts that have so much emotional investment in a desired outcome (usually snow) that all sense of reality is lost...But, at the end of the day, we are all human...we are all different?:oldgrin:

Posted
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Honestly Knocker. I don't ignore the excellent charts and summaries you provide (South Westerly zephers aside). If folk want to ignore your posts and others that's up to them, but they are going to ignore them in any thread.

Ah you have picked me up wrong ms that's not what I meant. I meant they ignore the model output and jump to the area more to their liking. I couldn't care less if people choose to ignore my posts

• Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, TomW said:

How about a hunt for mild thread as well! 

Wouldn’t have to hunt very much! 

Edited by Don
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes, as much as a part of me wants to give in and ramp as I used to the model thread during hot and cold spells becomes far too full of confirmation bias with people telling each other what they wish to hear. I much prefer to read a normal thread free of much bias.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
10 hours ago, knocker said:

This is the exact reason i stopped going into the MOD thread during the autumn/winter years ago..you have to wade through all the BS to get to a realistic and plausible summation from someone..i have no idea why the majority are so fixated with cold and snow?????

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

This is the exact reason i stopped going into the MOD thread during the autumn/winter years ago..you have to wade through all the BS to get to a realistic and plausible summation from someone..i have no idea why the majority are so fixated with cold and snow?????

Because for most in the UK, both snow and cold has become a rarity. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

easy to say that living where you do, if I lived there snow would be boring and kinda like our rain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

easy to say that living where you do, if I lived there snow would be boring and kinda like our rain

i have lived pretty much all my life in the UK and had the same opinion then also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I don’t understand this. Sure it may not be your thing, which is fine, but...

Everyone on this site has an interest and/or obsession with the weather. A small percentage are very reasoned, and want to try to see what’s next with our complicated weather systems. Even this is way beyond the ‘norm’ for most people who aren’t here. Everyone else is interested in extreme weather - we are blessed/cursed in this country in having very varied weather we can have in a year - heat, cold, snow, thunderstorms, hail, winds, droughts, fog etc. The ‘hunt’ for snow on a forum like this doesn’t strike me as an usual ‘fixation’ in the slightest. For me personally it was a pure joy as a child if I experienced proper snowfall, and for some reason that joy hasn’t left me. I get why some people don’t retain this joy as an adult - maybe that’s more ‘normal’. Truth is most us of us here aren’t that. Not understanding that if you’re on this forum is odd to me to be honest, even if it’s not your thing. And if it’s not fair play, that’s just as ok too, But to really enjoy this site, I think it’s worth understanding that EVERY winter will be the same here, regardless of how many threads are created. I don’t have an answer for the best way forward, but respect for each other would be a start...   

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
7 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

It's probably because we here in the UK do not see it that often and it is a rarity!!!

by the way,are you a mildy,if so,why move where you are now?

just a simple question.

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Because for most in the UK, both snow and cold has become a rarity. 

Way down here it really always has been, decades of the past have seen mild and mostly snowless winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
On 29/11/2019 at 07:15, lassie23 said:

+1

We'll leave you well alone  - we can endlessly wallow in our on self pitied thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
20 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

+1

We'll leave you well alone  - we can endlessly wallow in our on self pitied thread.

enjoy it lol

• Like 1