Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hunt For Cold Model Thread - Should It Return?

Would you like to see a ‘Hunt For Cold’ Model thread return?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a ‘Hunt For Cold’ Model thread return?

• No way man, it’s fine as it is
    • No. But yes to in depth technical model thread
    • No. But yes to in depth technical model thread and short range model thread
    • Yes
    • Yes + general model thread
    • Yes + general model thread + short range model thread
    • Yes + general model thread + in depth technical model thread
    • Yes + general model thread + in depth technical model thread + short range model thread
    • How about a model moans, banter and ramps thread?
    • Other (feel free to specify)

Posted
56 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I am actually abstaining from this vote even though it could be argued it affects me more than 99% of other posters and i will give my reason. It is a small minority who are not happy with the way it is now, that is not to say they are not valued, they are, in fact more than most, but as Knocker said above, when you split it they are then unhappy that most are not viewing their posts so really it isn't going to have any effect either way.

EDIT : and in any case i will not just continue ramping an Easterly when it clearly has blown up so then i go from being called the biggest cold ramping hyperbolic Daily Express type poster on here to being called a troll party pooper anyway so it still won't solve the bickering problem it will just shift it to another part of the forum.

Not according to the poll. The overwhelming majority are up for change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I think we should keep it as it is, it's not perfect, but how ever the cake is cut, the main strands of the conversation will find a 'home' and the rest will get sidelined.  Happy to go with the majority of course.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, ciel said:

Not according to the poll. The overwhelming majority are up for change.

But how many, out of that majority, ever use the existing thread, anyway...?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think we should keep it as it is, it's not perfect, but how ever the cake is cut, the main strands of the conversation will find a 'home' and the rest will get sidelined.  Happy to go with the majority of course.

That's really about how it is. We've obviously tried a few combinations over the years and as long as the main bulk of people want to talk about cold weather prospects at this time of year, that'll happen in whatever thread is set up and any other options will be quieter. 

That's not to say we're not opening to trying other options, but taking last year's hunt for cold thread as an example. It created more complaints and issues than any other version of the model thread has done before. The reason for that is that we very much relaxed the moderation in there and the overwhelming feedback was that it was too open, too messy and impossible to find enough juicier discussion. At the same time, we also had an in depth thread which started ok, but tailed off, because people do tend to gravitate towards the busier thread. 

So, while we're actively discussing options right now, there's a fine balance and we need to try to consider how best to achieve what the majority want. As with anything though, setting up the threads is a tiny part of it, it then has to be a joint effort across the whole membership (inc the team) in keeping them on topic etc. 

• Like 5

Posted

I think there couple of ways of dealing with this, both probably have their own issues.

Solution 1 - create a cold themed thread

pros 

people can ramp away until their heart is content, regardless of the fact the models may only be showing a 6 hour toppler at best

de-clutters the main thread

things to consider 

people will post where they feel most comfortable posting, probably where they feel they will contribute most and maybe where their post will be seen most 

i also believe people like to interact with the various luminaries on the forum, so this may also influence where they post

solution 

zero tolerance moderation for he main thread. this will move/delete all off topic posts to the correct place, but people will probably still want to post in the main thread. So, if you keep moving/deleting posts you are encouraging people to either post in the correct place or post higher quality, less biased posts.

Solution 2 - let the main thread become more partisan towards cold and open a technical/short range thread

pros

will probably keep the majority of posters in one place without too much confusion over where to post

those who are happy to comment on the short term, technical basis (regardless of there preference) will have a place to post

things to consider

whilst this new thread will probably be a lot quieter in terms of posters, it may be a popular place for people to catch up on the short term prospects without having to wade through the usual cold biased posts

what do we want to achieve? are we happy to go through this every winter, if so probably best to go with solution 2. or do we want to help people to increase the quality of their posts? if so, solution one is probably the way to go. I think either solution is fine, depending on what we want to achieve. I also think there's nothing wrong with letting the main thread become more cold biased, as long everyone feels they have a place to post without fear of being attacked for not agreeing with the majority. 

just the thoughts of a long time lurker. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The bottom line is with any website is making money, so they will always go with what the majority want, its not a charity, its a business.

Posted

We had a short range model thread once and if I remember rightly, Knocker was in it on his own!

A feel a "normal" model thread, and a moans/ramping thread for the rollercoaster crew would work well.

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

We had a short range model thread once and if I remember rightly, Knocker was in it on his own!

A feel a "normal" model thread, and a moans/ramping thread for the rollercoaster crew would work well.

There is one already, the Autumn one which will become the winter one in 3 days time.

• Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

it would make the regular model thread redundant, with only 4 posters in it, K, SS, Ed Stone and Jon Snow

I post in it frequently too. The "only" four posters that seem to add some valuable and realistic information to the model thread mods included  although SS doesn't post often in there.

Ofcourse there are a couple of others such as JH but highlighting the people you've mentioned.

I think there definitely should be a separate thread for cold orientated seekers/hunters or in depth cold model chat as mine and others more in depth posts simply get obscured and lost amongst single word descriptions of a fi chart. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1

Posted

I always felt having the two threads discussing the same subject(the models)effectively was a waste of time. Personally keeping it as it is is fine but I really would consider banning any posts which shows  GFS charts after 240 hours because firstly, it's one standalone weather chart at a ridiculas timeframe which in turn will be different by the next run and secondly there is no other main weather model that goes beyond that timeframe so there is no comparisons to be made. 

I also feel we got to accept there is going to be some real interest and excitement if a cold spell is forecast in the medium term so post amounts will be very high and not every post will be technical and aslong as its more or less on topic its fine by me. Sometimes I think the way moderators speak to mostly adults on this forum in the mod thread is like a petulant teacher/parent would speak to a child, I think some relaxation has to be allowed otherwise it would seem an unwelcoming thread for people to post in. The more technical posts should never get lost in that thread as people should be able to read through and see the posters name and know what they post will be knowledgeable. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 hour ago, Paul_1978 said:

I’d be happy with that! I’m a landscape gardener, and Knocker’s nearly daily short term forecasts are not only the best on this site, they often show up before 7am! Perfect for me. (No pressure Knocker...) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

By the time we've banned posts which are 'too short', posts which contain a chart for post-240, posts which are classed as 'ramps', posts which are deemed 'trolling' (posting a mild chart any time between Nov and March)...and so on and so forth, what'll we be left with? 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

By the time we've banned posts which are 'too short', posts which contain a chart for post-240, posts which are classed as 'ramps', posts which are deemed 'trolling' (posting a mild chart any time between Nov and March)...and so on and so forth, what'll we be left with?

A sensible and interesting thread?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Knocker is banned from here :crazy: I thought this was the Hunt for Cold?:oldgrin:

Anyway:

image.thumb.png.4043e6bf61f21af4372016b7f2ed231b.pngimage.thumb.png.f1e88a18207fd2ca44f6db12722dcc69.pngimage.thumb.png.0b963ece2aae56ea825120a310d7a3e9.png

Nice FI from GFS 12z ! ;)

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Purga said:

Knocker is banned from here :crazy: I thought this was the Hunt for Cold?:oldgrin:

Anyway:

image.thumb.png.4043e6bf61f21af4372016b7f2ed231b.pngimage.thumb.png.f1e88a18207fd2ca44f6db12722dcc69.pngimage.thumb.png.0b963ece2aae56ea825120a310d7a3e9.png

I think it is you that has just posted in the wrong thread - read the title!!!!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

I believe it should fwiw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
3 hours ago, Purga said:

Anyway:

Hey you! Back on topic please!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
6 hours ago, knocker said:

Ahh, but at least that way you are guaranteed reflective quality posts,, unsullied by intrusions from the darkside 8)

Sock it to 'em, Knocker!!   What a riposte!  

Edit.  I like things as they are....but let's see what happens when snowpocalypse is only 72 hours away in January.  The MOD thread will probably need some heavy duty backup....and I'll need a few brandies (hic)

Edited by Sky Full

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
8 hours ago, jordan smith said:

I post in it frequently too. The "only" four posters that seem to add some valuable and realistic information to the model thread mods included  although SS doesn't post often in there.

Ofcourse there are a couple of others such as JH but highlighting the people you've mentioned.

I think there definitely should be a separate thread for cold orientated seekers/hunters or in depth cold model chat as mine and others more in depth posts simply get obscured and lost amongst single word descriptions of a fi chart. 

Got to disagree with that Jordan... There are a good many more top notch posters than 4 or 5 in the mod thread... I won't include myself in that... I'm a tit for tat poster... But you have the likes of Feb, NWS, tight isobar,Mike Poole, not to mention the excellence of catacol, Steve M, blue army.. I could string another dozen or so names to this list, but can't remember them all without checking... Oh, and the for mentioned Jon Snow and Edd Stone.. The updates and info are generally superb from so many posters that's for sure. 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I voted for just keeping the model thread which in it's self takes around a good 30 mins to an hour(depending)trawling though it after work

i wouldn't want any more threads to trawl through thank you,there is enough already

just splitting them into short range/technical and a hunt for cold is unclean in my book esp on the phone when you do not have much battery life(esp Steve murr) lol,keep them all in one.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

deleted.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
2 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

Got to disagree with that Jordan... There are a good many more top notch posters than 4 or 5 in the mod thread... I won't include myself in that... I'm a tit for tat poster... But you have the likes of Feb, NWS, tight isobar,Mike Poole, not to mention the excellence of catacol, Steve M, blue army.. I could string another dozen or so names to this list, but can't remember them all without checking... Oh, and the for mentioned Jon Snow and Edd Stone.. The updates and info are generally superb from so many posters that's for sure. 

❤ Very right Matt love the usual posters more than anything even if I don't like what I hear .  I know they have so much more knowledge regarding weather than me. Long live the December COLD.❄

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, icykev said:

❤ Very right Matt love the usual posters more than anything even if I don't like what I hear .  I know they have so much more knowledge regarding weather than me. Long live the December COLD.❄

I hope you enjoy my posts too Please read my original post to another user though. 

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
4 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

I hope i'm included in that list.. but You've misunderstood/misinterpreted my post matt.. your reply really should of been quoted to the person I quoted I quoted ira252 and pointed him out on his view about the thread being redundant ie not useful with "only" 4 posters like John snow Ed Stone etc as if them 4 posters that he quoted didn't give much value to the mod thread so I actually was mostly in agreement with you.. please reread what I said and what he said too and you'll see what I mean.

The only thing that still stands is mine and others informative posts are obscured at times by one word posts of a fi chart that add little value to the thread in themselves as no information to back the chart up or on what it's showing and tend to lead atleast part of the thread off topic ie previous events. Which is why I feel there should be a separate thread for the cold talk FI charts.

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1