Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

YOUR FAVOURITE ARCHIVED SYNOPTIC CHART

Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Polar Low development that produced an exceptional snowfall across Lancashire, Cheshire plain and the Derbyshire/ Staffs Moorlands. Anyone one remember this one ?   February 1969.

cPosted ImageRrea00119690214.gif

What? The Cheshire plain can get exceptional snowfalls?? I'll believe that one when I see it lol! Max snow depth I've ever seen here is 10cm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

What? The Cheshire plain can get exceptional snowfalls?? I'll believe that one when I see it lol! Max snow depth I've ever seen here is 10cm

Can't speak for the Cheshire Plain but I'm pretty sure I remember this snowfall dumping a lot on us with deep drifts.I was only a kid but winters around that time seemed to always be snowy and cold.Maybe the snow wasn't that deep but was down to the effect of still growing short legs.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The Wetterzentrale version of Christmas Day 1995:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119951225.gif

That chart has got to be up there- I had a proper white Christmas in Tyneside that year, a few centimetres fell from the polar low on Christmas Eve and then Christmas Day had frequent east-coast snow showers from a northerly wind.

• Like 2

Posted

Well I grew up during that 'era' of mild winters, so for me February 2009 is one of my favourite periods of snowy weather I have seen, because I had never seen so much snow in such a short period of time (3 snow 'events' in 6 days).

Chart: 2nd Feb 09 http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090202.gif

This snowy period of weather began on the 1st February (a Sunday if I recall) with snow showers that became increasingly frequent by late evening, and by that time we had a nice covering. Had a fair amount of snow fall overnight and though I can't remember how much we had, it must of been at least 4-5 inches (though nowhere near what some locations in the Thames Estuary recieved). Snow continued to fall into the afternoon with further accumilations, though it was becoming increasingly marginal as a mild sector of air was making inroads. I can remember a BBC forecast warning of a organised band of heavy snow moving in from France, but unfortunately the associated mild sector with the low meant that further snow failed to settle.

Chart: 5th Feb 09: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090205.gif

Then a few days later on the 5th, a low with it's associated fronts was moving up through the Bay of Biscay, a battleground event where in the end the snow-rain line was only 15-20 miles south of my location. A further 4 inches of snow fell in the early hours of the 5th with some bigger falls across the east Midlands if I recall.

Chart: 6th Feb 09: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090206.gif

An event that developed quite quickly if I recall, with the snow line further south meaning many areas of southern England seeing a period of snow. Again around 4 inches fell.

There was another transient snow event on the 12th with milder air following in behind. 3 inches of snow fell before the snow turned to rain and this cold spell was over. It's a shame that milder air followed behind the snow during this period of weather resulting in some rapid thaws of snow, but it was such a great period of weather following all of those mild winters. Fortunately we've had some great snow events since then, in Dec 09, Jan 10, Feb 10, Feb 12, Jan 13 and Mar 13. (Dec 10 was exceptional for cold though not for snow, but it was a great month!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oh, and this day of course. (And a pic of what the end of my back garden looked like that afternoon.)

Posted ImagePosted Image1317_18122010.jpg

Probaby my second best snow event! Had the weather front moving up from the South, It stalled over our area and pivoting, it gave us a good 6hrs of moderate snow, with a good hour 1/2 of intense and heavy snow. 

post-15543-0-20667200-1378932894_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

What fantastic pressure this was, almost a Bartlett Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

What fantastic pressure this was, almost a Bartlett Posted Image

Posted Image

Eventually became this.. just 5-6 days later:

Posted Image

I remember it delivering frosty weather with sunshine. I recall traveling on the M1 to Wakefield and seeing areas of rime on the trees. The month as a whole here had mild days, but nights were around average.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Eventually became this.. just 5-6 days later:

Posted Image

I remember it delivering frosty weather with sunshine. I recall traveling on the M1 to Wakefield and seeing areas of rime on the trees. The month as a whole here had mild days, but nights were around average.

Great anticyclonic spell that, the ground frost lasted for a good few days around here. Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fond memories of this one. Football match abandoned. Car Journey home abandoned.An absolute pasting of snow for North East Scotland. Power Cuts, Blizzards, everything..everything..

post-7292-0-04732700-1378938547_thumb.gi

• Like 3

Probably my favourite chart of all, the New Years blizzard of 1978/1979. It gave about 2 feet level snow here and drifts meters high

Posted Image

Some interesting charts from historical events

The brutal winter of 1941-1942 which contributed to the defeat of Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union

Posted Image

The day of the sinking of the Titanic

Posted Image

Chart for the D-Day landings

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Probably my favourite chart of all, the New Years blizzard of 1978/1979. It gave about 2 feet level snow here and drifts meters high

Posted Image

Some interesting charts from historical events

The brutal winter of 1941-1942 which contributed to the defeat of Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union

Posted Image

The day of the sinking of the Titanic

Posted Image

Chart for the D-Day landings

Posted Image

Following on from this theme...August 1914...November 1918...September 1939.....May 1945

post-2495-0-92890400-1379004361_thumb.pn

post-2495-0-64005900-1379004371_thumb.pn

post-2495-0-26962800-1379004406_thumb.pn

post-2495-0-91832500-1379004422_thumb.pn

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Probaby my second best snow event! Had the weather front moving up from the South, It stalled over our area and pivoting, it gave us a good 6hrs of moderate snow, with a good hour 1/2 of intense and heavy snow. 

It was a Saturday, wasn't it? I remember a MetO red warning went up in the late morning. For areas just to the north and west of London. Herts, Beds, those sorts of counties.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Following on from this theme...August 1914...November 1918...September 1939.....May 1945

My father was 5 when war was declared on 3rd Sept 1939. And he often used to tell me what he remembered about that day. He said his mum had taken him and his brother to Brighton for the day, because it was a warm, sunny weekend. (And they were sitting on the beach, having a picnic, when the news filtered through.) That chart certainly suggests he'd got the weather memories correct! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

How far back do the charts go? The charts for January 20th 1838 would be interesting; the coldest CET day on record at -11.9C

I don't think they go back that far, last 25 years or so of the 19th century.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my always remembered snowfest Staffs snow!

was equalled i think though on 22-24th mar this year, and 17-19 Jan

post-12563-0-16211000-1379007636_thumb.g

post-12563-0-05593900-1379007644_thumb.g

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252
  • Like 2