Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

YOUR FAVOURITE ARCHIVED SYNOPTIC CHART

Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

And on the 10th England recorded its lowest ever temperature: -26.1C in Shropshire.

I bet somewhere got a couple degrees lower than that where there wasn't a weather station, probably even beat Altnaharra's record. Wouldn't it be ironic if the lowest temperature in the UK ever was actually in England and not Scotland.....but obviously unobserved. I think it is certainly possible 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

To be fair Gaz the same could be said for Scotland. I am sure somewhere has probably seen the -30c mark in the past with no station there to record it.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

To be fair Gaz the same could be said for Scotland. I am sure somewhere has probably seen the -30c mark in the past with no station there to record it.

Met office stations are sited to be representative of a regions climate rather than placed to catch localised extremes and so tend not to be put in frost hollows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Met office stations are sited to be representative of a regions climate rather than placed to catch localised extremes and so tend not to be put in frost hollows.

Yes of course - it's hardly practical to have a thermometer placed in every metre square patch of earth.;)
  • Like 1

Posted

For some years, Blackadder in Southern Scotland was thought to have got down to -30C during early December 1879. This figure is not recognised now as it wasn't standard.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

For some years, Blackadder in Southern Scotland was thought to have got down to -30C during early December 1879. This figure is not recognised now as it wasn't standard.

Yes, same as here dec 2010, the 3 nearest observation stations just refused to get below -15 c on about 5 nights despite being -15c at 11pm with no cloud cover or wind imminent and massive snow cover with previous nights of bitter uppers, someone here though swears that it got significantly below -20c

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, same as here dec 2010, the 3 nearest observation stations just refused to get below -15 c on about 5 nights despite being -15c at 11pm with no cloud cover or wind imminent and massive snow cover with previous nights of bitter uppers, someone here though swears that it got significantly below -20c

That's one aspect of Dec 2010 I found very odd; temperatures often plateaued fairly early in the night. I remember some very low temperatures even in the early evening, wondering how low they would go by sunrise. However, they would stay around the same throughout the night even with little wind and clear skies. Jan 2010 recorded lower temps than Dec 2010 here.
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes of course - it's hardly practical to have a thermometer placed in every metre square patch of earth.

Posted Image

I think that's a bit OTT lol, to be fair most places a good way inland near a river valley can record very low temperatures, actually Altnaharra's weather station is near the bank of a river and only 81m asl. Hence why it can get so cold there and is classed as a frost hollow, I bet if it was moved somewhere away and higher up from that location it would read warmer. Obviously other factors being closer to cold upper air masses counts too. 

England tends to do better from easterly's due to be being a bit further east than most of Scotland, closest to the coldest uppers from the bitter continent, and with less sea track than Scotland, Even here I am as far east as Aberdeen. 

The snow can hugely mount up in places like the North York Moors and even where you are too in the right set up, in these set ups Scotland tends to be closer to the High Pressure block so the snow can peter out.. Whereas Scotland and Wales fare better from northerlies - the Cairngorms in Scotland and Snowdonia in Wales get the snow with those winds.

It's funny though because before 2008 Scotland used to always get the snow and got much more of it, but now since the colder Winters England has really give them a run for the money.

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it's mainly been during the last couple of winters, with their emphasis on continental air and easterly winds, that taking the two countries as a whole, England has competed strongly with Scotland.  The winters of 2008/09 to 2010/11 were characterised by Greenland blocking and frequent northerlies and the snowiest parts of the country were generally found in Scotland- indeed 2009/10 was the coldest winter quarter since 1962/63 in some parts of Scotland.

This northerly blast which set in on the 16th/17th December 2010 was up there with many of the more potent northerlies of the 1940s through to the 1980s, following numerous feeble northerlies during the winters prior to 2009/10.  Even in south-west England it readily got cold enough for falling and lying snow from showers moving in off the Irish Sea.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120101217.gif

However, when I think of potent northerlies, the first one that crosses my mind tends to be the blast on the 7th/8th February 1969, which produced a polar low in the Irish Sea:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1969/Rrea00119690208.gif

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

That's one aspect of Dec 2010 I found very odd; temperatures often plateaued fairly early in the night. I remember some very low temperatures even in the early evening, wondering how low they would go by sunrise. However, they would stay around the same throughout the night even with little wind and clear skies.Jan 2010 recorded lower temps than Dec 2010 here.

Yes, whatever you record though is likely to be near the truth, as you are not far from Woodford are you? I am convinced the BBC  or met office or other weather stations were not working properly as many a time, every single location in the Pennines on a number of occasions had -15c at 11pm yet none had -16 and that continued all the way through the night, we had no water about 7 or 8 days out of 31 that December.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, whatever you record though is likely to be near the truth, as you are not far from Woodford are you? I am convinced the BBC  or met office or other weather stations were not working properly as many a time, every single location in the Pennines on a number of occasions had -15c at 11pm yet none had -16 and that continued all the way through the night, we had no water about 7 or 8 days out of 31 that December.

I'm less than 3 miles from Woodford, but in a more urban location so temps here were about 2/3C warmer.
  • Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Gaz1985, September 26, 2013 - Double post
Hidden by Gaz1985, September 26, 2013 - Double post

Strange thing is lower ground is colder when there is deep snow cover and clear skies, on a normal day like today the higher ground is a bit colder (about 1c colder per 100 metres in elevation) but for some weird reason the valley's take over during the coldest

spells. Obviously the higher you go the more it snows and rains but it's not always colder. http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Frost-hollow.htm

Edited by Gaz1985
Posted

Strange thing is lower ground is colder when there is deep snow cover and clear skies, on a normal day like today the higher ground is a bit colder (about 1c colder per 100 metres in elevation) but for some weird reason the valley's take over during the coldest

spells. Obviously the higher you go the more it snows and rains but it's not always colder. http://www.weatheron...rost-hollow.htm

• Like 2

Posted

spells. Obviously the higher you go the more it snows and rains but it's not always colder. http://www.weatheron...rost-hollow.htm

Truth in that deffo, eg - Benson, I think its relative to the ground around you though and im 600ft but lowest elevation in the whole parish, baring in mind this parish is probably over half the size of Manchester with massive hills on 3 sides of me and no urban effect as its about probably 4 % of the population of Manchester.

• Like 1

Posted

That's one aspect of Dec 2010 I found very odd; temperatures often plateaued fairly early in the night. I remember some very low temperatures even in the early evening, wondering how low they would go by sunrise. However, they would stay around the same throughout the night even with little wind and clear skies.Jan 2010 recorded lower temps than Dec 2010 here.

There were quite a few nights here like that during November/December 2010 aswell. The most notable was the night of the 20th December when the temperature plummeted to -11.1C just before 10pm which was already the coldest temperature seen here since in 33 years of records. I was convinced we could see a -15C because it was completely calm, clear and we had a good snowcover.

In the end we dropped to 'only' -11.4C with the temperature being exceptionally stable for the rest of the night. Im guessing it was just as cold as it could get with the upper air temps at the time as we're not a frost hollow, very flat and cold air can leak off towards the Humber and North Sea, a kind of equilibrium between the following factors and radiative cooling perhaps?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Posted Image

Very snowy for me, 72 hours of continuous snow!

Not snowy for me, a bit though, but 9-11 April '03 must have been very snowy for high areas north and east UK, I remember a low moving east to west, like a reverse zonal setup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Cold air pools into the valleys on cold, calm and clear nights, but no such thing occurs higher up, especially on exposed land where there is almost always a breeze to stir things up. Valleys are usually drier too and may have soil more conductive to rapid temperature falls i.e sandy soils.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Gaz1985, September 28, 2013 - wrong post
Hidden by Gaz1985, September 28, 2013 - wrong post

Cold air pools into the valleys on cold, calm and clear nights, but no such thing occurs higher up, especially on exposed land where there is almost always a breeze to stir things up. Valleys are usually drier too and may have soil more conductive to rapid temperature falls i.e sandy soils.

Agreed and I guess that's why your area is also

There were quite a few nights here like that during November/December 2010 aswell. The most notable was the night of the 20th December when the temperature plummeted to -11.1C just before 10pm which was already the coldest temperature seen here since in 33 years of records. I was convinced we could see a -15C because it was completely calm, clear and we had a good snowcover.

In the end we dropped to 'only' -11.4C with the temperature being exceptionally stable for the rest of the night. Im guessing it was just as cold as it could get with the upper air temps at the time as we're not a frost hollow, very flat and cold air can leak off towards the Humber and North Sea, a kind of equilibrium between the following factors and radiative cooling perhaps?

You'll definitely feel a coastal impact to your weather at you're location in terms of the temperature being moderated at night - you have to be about 30 miles inland to not feel the effects, so even with clear skies you won't drop as low as somewhere like Selby or York.

Posted

You'll definitely have a coastal impact to your weather in your location especially with night time and morning temperatures - you have to be about 30 miles inland to not feel the force of the coastal effect, you won't record temperatures as low as places like York or Selby for example under the same weather conditions.

• Like 1

Posted

There were quite a few nights here like that during November/December 2010 aswell. The most notable was the night of the 20th December when the temperature plummeted to -11.1C just before 10pm which was already the coldest temperature seen here since in 33 years of records. I was convinced we could see a -15C because it was completely calm, clear and we had a good snowcover.In the end we dropped to 'only' -11.4C with the temperature being exceptionally stable for the rest of the night. Im guessing it was just as cold as it could get with the upper air temps at the time as we're not a frost hollow, very flat and cold air can leak off towards the Humber and North Sea, a kind of equilibrium between the following factors and radiative cooling perhaps?

Yeah, perhaps it was something to do with upper temps and reaching as cold as it could for the synoptics. If temps are going to reach their coldest earliest in the day, it's in December. It might have been different in Feb.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

This is a cracker from an awesome February

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1956/Rrea00119560201.gif

Here are the 850's

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1956/Rrea00219560201.gif

I want a good February this year as you have that little bit extra daylight to enjoy the snowy conditionsPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

What fantastic strong pressure this was pushing down on us all, it kept any snow well away from the UK Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Friday 17th December 2010. A day of snow showers, around midday i had broke up for christmas holidays and getting to my road then a  snow shower began and lasted 20 minutes giving a dusting. But i love this picture i took one of my all time favourites. 

post-15543-0-42041700-1381419016_thumb.g

post-15543-0-15756100-1381419020_thumb.g

post-15543-0-61057400-1381419033_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Hi CC, Would've thought you might have witnessed it during a Cheshire Gap streamer? Perhaps you dont quite get the temperature differential between the surface of the Irish Sea and the 850hPa level, as we get here, in the SE, in respect of the Thames Estuary/S.North Sea and bitter PC air moving in from the east. Have experienced thundersnow on a few occasions but mostly in Thames streamer situations. Tom.

No we never get thunder in the Cheshire gap streamer whether it is rain or snow.
  • Like 1