Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - late November

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean there's certainly strong support for the azores high ridging / building in longer term followed by a flattening out of the  pattern..excuse me I've been drinking but I still know what the GEFS is showing!

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Are we looking at a typical evolution which has plagued many of our winters since 2012/13!?

Hope you don't mind me replying.

Its simply too early to know but atleast for a time a more typical pattern shown for longer term but there's a lot of uncertainty on this and how long it may last. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

Hope you don't mind me replying.

Its simply too early to know but atleast for a time a more typical pattern shown for longer term but there's a lot of uncertainty on this and how long it may last. 

Not at all! 

As long as the more 'typical' pattern does not lock in for the long term, we have plenty of time for interest during the winter ahead.  That's my main concern but like you say, plenty of uncertainty at this stage and still all to play for,

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Don said:

Are we looking at a typical evolution which has plagued many of our winters since 2012/13!?

All in all a bit of a grim Saturday so far for coldies!

Why would something which is the NH climate norm be grim? As surely as (24 hour polar) night follows day, the vortex is going to strengthen approaching the winter solstice. it's now up to other sets of variables in the atmosphere to impact on the vortex and there's plenty of those in the mix for this season.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Why would something which is the NH climate norm be grim? As surely as (24 hour polar) night follows day, the vortex is going to strengthen approaching the winter solstice. it's now up to other sets of variables in the atmosphere to impact on the vortex and there's plenty of those in the mix for this season.

I was referring to the risk of a zonal pattern (+NAO/AO) setting up shop and eating away into winter (like it has in many years).  With the long range models consistently bullish about this scenario, it remains a concern.  However, it's still early days of course.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Again just a few thoughts from me.

Even if we do enter a more zonal-esque period (which we would usually expect to see at some point during UK winters anyway so again no need for panic) zonal doesn't always = mild there is such a thing as cool zonality, example 19th January 2018 I got snow from this at 20M ASL archivesnh-2018-1-19-0-0.thumb.png.c2804ec0682da9e6e3f6feb741f2eeaa.png archives-2018-1-19-0-1.thumb.png.bfa088d1c5d2e6cde2d0d1534f427be6.png archivesnh-2018-1-19-12-0.thumb.png.163e8ddf6df39d50daefd41fe84c4b4c.pngarchives-2018-1-19-12-1.thumb.png.549e35e46476c51a0d742f6420a86d47.png DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.479df6e1b7172389c4f238b918f2c2fc.JPGDSC_0003.thumb.JPG.a6d9daf391cdeac65f8cb174ae7fd1b5.JPG 

Cold zonality has been known to bring a fair amount of snow to northern and Western areas in particular in the past from long fetch northwesterely winds that have originated from the southern Greenland region with the jet stream to the south of the uk, also cold zonality can be very ideal in deepening low pressure systems rapidly as they cross the Atlantic with the below chart a good example of it and i'm assuming that snowfall was to the north of what was a named storm Which is the low pressure shown on this chart.. 

EUROPE_PRMSL_HGT500_2018_1_18_0.thumb.jpg.4df8b2c7d2f9b84ccc989d6bd388aae8.jpg

Anyway back to now..

In the longer term after perhaps a milder interlude and drier start to December from latest output with the Azores high close to the UK.. a reappearance of Northern blocking with a southerly tracking jet stream once again Woudn't be too suprising given the persistent nature of it during this autumn. Ofcourse that's not guaranteed. 

But if that happens it would likely sadly be more a story of more flooding grabbing the headlines rather than snow potential. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 hour ago, Don said:

All in all a bit of a grim Saturday so far for coldies!

It's not great don but it's november.just as a side note solar activity-flatlined,enso-neutral,qbo moving towards an easterly phase.outlook and weather,no idea like everyone else.if they do get the lottery numbers and Wel split the money

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, Met4Cast said:

The colder option is in the minority cluster on the EPS with the largest cluster supporting the return of an Atlantic, westerly regime. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019112300_276.thumb.png.f1cba1278cdef79b632ba9e4fe14119c.png

Funny how much that has changed in just 24hrs.

Anyway, all eyes on the 12z runs....ICON about to start rolling out, FI is around the T120 mark if you ask me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Cold uppers beginning to claw themselves in by D7 on latest ICON

image.thumb.png.d5db22a3bfab470e7f689fd7cc893a58.png

Looks chilly to me .. Brrr .. 

A nice little 'Hello' as Winter rolls in

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

ICON looking excellent to me at T180.

iconeu-0-180.png

iconeu-1-180.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Yes, great start for the 12z on ICON T180:

image.thumb.jpg.5dcaec569517d877bda48fb505af64e4.jpg

Need to see if this increased amplification into Greenland replicated on the other runs! I'm reasonably hopeful, 12z often the givers, rather then the taker-awayers...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted

Pretty average ukmo imo.nothing to scream about.pretty close to the 6zgfs

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I never realized the icon was so iconic!!, but I guess that depends on whether or not it shows cold weather!!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, JON SNOW said:

I never realized the icon was so iconic!!, but I guess that depends on whether or not it shows cold weather!!

It's not really

• Like 1