Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - late November

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 hour ago, s4lancia said:

Not sure why sl4 post is there 

still think fi is at t120 plus

BA2AA2A3-A795-4427-9A9B-99B6CBAFA343.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Just catching up  - 12Z GFS

Good Lord

h500slp.thumb.png.0a47de57452f472420c72dad143159aa.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

The ridge has collapsed by T240 on ECM:

image.thumb.jpg.ad54e3c66a4f7143dd85f06187d39321.jpg

A few things to note, based on this chart and 12z suite as a whole:

• Displacement west of Azores high, as above and on similar GEM chart I posted earlier.
  • Trough into Europe, inc Southern Europe on ECM.
  • Arctic high, not everyone's cup of tea, obvious from comments, but it promotes -AO and that in turn is friends with the -NAO about 70% of the time, I think.  Be better if it was over our side of the NH though, I concede that.
  • I STILL think a strong jet, but deflected to the south of us will prevail.  That isn't a big freeze winter of the past, but it could, with meridional component due to solar minimum added, it could bring some significant snowfalls for many, and who cares if they are marginal.
  • The strat is also looking interesting ...

We....will.....see...

Good post Mike, summed up very well.

I don’t think ECM is bad and pretty much par for the course as I still reckon the real interest is just out of its range. So like you say, we will indeed see

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

It's getting a bit messy this thread tonight. 

I'm struggling to understand some of the posts and relevance 

A picture of a chart with a 2 word description that's not helping me and others understand 

And the handbag swinging .

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

It's getting a bit messy this thread tonight. 

I'm struggling to understand some of the posts and relevance 

A picture of a chart with a 2 word description that's not helping me and others understand 

And the handbag swinging .

Always the same in this thread at this time of year when emotions run high! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Oh well, the GFS 12Z operational was about as representative a sample, of the run as a whole.

t850Leicestershire.png   prmslLeicestershire.png

t2mLeicestershire.png   prcpLeicestershire.png

Breathe in, breathe out...aaaand relax?

Edited by Blessed Weather
Political comment removed.
  • Like 1

Posted

Well as much as i enjoy a ramp, there really is not much to ramp about this evening.

The current cold dry spell will be replaced by a pretty rampant Atlantic by the end of the week -maybe a bit sooner in the NW.

Hopefully it won't be a drawn out unsettled phase,it won't be mild, but it won't be cold enough for snow for the majority IMO-

I think i'm right in saying zonal winds are due to spike in around a weeks time and then slow down again thereafter.

With AAM on the rise (unless the forecast has changed today) and low solar min/strat warming ongoing , hopefully we can dig a cold pattern out for the run up to Christmas.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM ensemble mean at T192 and T240:

image.thumb.jpg.58a55b91a0d45a67e7979c2916742634.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.233e21807009cd2f89a8bb8f66f6e13b.jpg

Lots of support for the op on the first, but on both, and for a while, I am struck by the wave-3 thing in the trop, looking around the NH, there are three distinct troughs at 500 mb level just circulating the globe anticlockwise in this run, ECM mean GIF

anim_rho6.gif

That, to me, does not suggest a happy trop vortex, especially in 10 days time. All to play for!!  Or, does not suggest, for the record, anything 'zonal'.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted

The are some differences regarding the ext EPS mean anomaly and the GEFS, albeit nothing massive, basically involving the structure and amplification of the upstream Aleutian low/ridge/arctic high cell and Canadian vortex.and this is reflected somewhat in the downstream  ridging into east Greenland and the position of the European trough

The bottom line is that this still results in a strong westerly upper flow exiting the eastern seaboard  but this abates somewhat in the east courtesy of more influence from the ridge and position of the trough which perhaps allows more influx of colder air with the temps over the UK below average. Obviously any differences in the pattern will need sorting before anything like definitive emerges but still looking at unsettled with the usual caveats

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-6411200.thumb.png.f7ce5c3d936089158538a74332bfe2da.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-t850_anom_5day-6411200.thumb.png.931a900d51e3d3618d0ee87d17243b64.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-eur-t2m_c_anom_5day-6411200.thumb.png.682cea8e643a0f35b66bb29a9d062e2b.png

• Like 7

Posted

Very little to suggest anything other than average or slightly below. As usual, any promise is in the depths of FI.

It will be the last third of December at the earliest, barring something cropping up at short notice.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Completely agree with that and I for one would be over the moon with marginal snowfall that’s heavy and disruptive and is gone couple of days later. Repeat and repeat.

at least we ent looking at our normal December prospects at least at the moment.

also would like something like this image to actually happen, that would be pretty exciting I’d say

E80341E4-1698-4F89-8B67-55B3A6AE1312.png

A great snap this early in proceedings..

With a MLB..and a notable outbreak...as per-mentioned...we'd have given our grandmothers away in many times past for such synoptics this early on....let alone it coming to fruition!!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

As per yesterday still some large differences between the ECM and the GFS at +192

image.thumb.png.3e1e44237af4540f7e482946b0caae61.png

image.thumb.png.003b0c8d7ec51ae52f73ee5d17141db4.png

Maybe not 'large' differences but as ever with our country, the exact position of any ridge of HP will determine whether it's cold or not

ECM has it far west enough to bring in something much colder from the North

GFS has it to far east 

Other than that ridge the rest of the two charts really ARE similar.. it's just us, and our unpredictable British weather

Fine margins 

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

The updated GEM at 186 note the shape of the jet diving south & NE in the atlantic

6C12D6EA-4176-4CFC-AAB4-9861A5E9D01D.thumb.png.a3faee200d88688ac9de103d750843d4.png

Thats X2 models that leave residual heights east of Iceland

@bluearmy

That’s the main difference in the extended eps wrt the 00z run ..... in the 9/14 day period more sign that wedges will deflect lows further south though the mean low anomoly at day 15 is still to our sw with an Atlantic trough establishing.... slight improvement on the 00z run but only run to run variation 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 hours ago, knocker said:

Tgfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-t850_anom_5day-6411200.thumb.png.915f33de4b31d33ab5c6a18438a6a19a.pnggfs-ensemble-all-avg-eur-t2m_c_anom_5day-6411200.thumb.png.f5093f38a1c99d3d6ac70e043e8462b6.png

With 850s at -24 widely one has to ask where this very warm anomaly over vast swathes of Russia comes from?

BFTP 

• Like 1