Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - late November

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

It's 10 past 12 and I can't be assed to show you but I can explain. We've just had a record breaking displacement event moving the core of the strat away from Greenland to Scandinavia leaving a vacuum for high pressure in the Greenland locale. Without AAM support this would at the very least support a strong topper scenario. However we have AAM support and an upcoming MJO orbit which at the same time lends to an idea of height rises in the North West. All these factors together and breaking the science down simply implies the ecm scenario is extremely plausible. I'd put it at 60-70% minimum. The gfs outcome has no scientific background support its just throwing out a random couple of runs from its clusters. You are basing on the ecm being wrong because of previous let downs and patterns models take. If I'm wrong about this this is now your turn to explain why I'm wrong and your not?? 

Read above.

Why do I feel you're throwing around terms at me that you have no idea about?

You'll never see any strat expert worth their salt go as high as 60-70% minimum certainty over a trop pattern after only a displacement event.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Read above.

Why do I feel you're throwing around terms at me that you have no idea about?

You'll never see any strat expert worth their salt go as high as 60-70% minimum certainty over a trop pattern after only a displacement event.

I've read it your saying the middle of the month a week after me. It's a reflective displacement event. Trop responses are very quick in this scenario. They always are in this type of displacement especially so pronounced. Where's your reasoning other than to say you think there's tentative signals from the strat. Fire your tropics knowledge at me for a start. You are a poster that relies on past experience with models but you can't do the climate is an ever changing animal

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

I've read it your saying the middle of the month a week after me. It's a reflective displacement event. Trop responses are very quick in this scenario. They always are in this type of displacement especially so pronounced. Where's your reasoning other than to say you think there's tentative signals from the strat. Fire your tropics knowledge at me for a start. You are a poster that relies on past experience with models but you can't do the climate is an ever changing animal

You're assuming that a+b=c in meteorology but in truth there is no formula that exists like that. At least not one that we know of. Otherwise we'd be able to get predictions 100% nailed on. 

We've had promising signals for the past few years but all have come to nothing bar the major SSW of Feb 2018. 

Could it be that what we thought we understand was just a false dawn? Or that other variables are more important? 

Either way, even if you're relying on the tropics approach to forecast future weather, you are still at the mercy of the NWP to extrapolate your reasoning from...

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

You're assuming that a+b=c in meteorology but in truth there is no formula that exists like that. At least not one that we know of. Otherwise we'd be able to get predictions 100% nailed on. 

We've had promising signals for the past few years but all have come to nothing bar the major SSW of Feb 2018. 

Could it be that what we thought we understand was just a false dawn? Or that other variables are more important? 

All I'm saying is based on what we know the ecm output is miles miles more plausible than the gfs. I never said it was nailed on that's why I said 60-70% but there is 100% no reason to be pessimistic at this stage when the colder option is more likely 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

All I'm saying is based on what we know the ecm output is miles miles more plausible than the gfs. I never said it was nailed on that's why I said 60-70% but there is 100% no reason to be pessimistic at this stage when the colder option is more likely 

Damn, I must have got really lucky then with my previous assertions. What's the betting I land with my prediction that you class as a 30-40% chance?

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Damn, I must have got really lucky then with my previous assertions. What's the betting I land with my prediction that you class as a 30-40% chance?

What previous assertions are these then? 

Edited by inghams85

Posted
4 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

What previous assertions are these then? 

Think I've fooked up once in 5 years- last year when I called a very cold January due to the SSW.

17/18 I said we'd need a SSW to break the vortex down before we saw cold- much to the disdain of people in this forum. Yet what happened. Pretty sure @feb1991blizzard can vouch for me...

Then there was 16/17 when the Metoffice were going cold and I refuted it. 

I HATE hubris, but if you're going to push me to it...

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Think I've fooked up once in 5 years- last year when I called a very cold January due to the SSW.

17/18 I said we'd need a SSW to break the vortex down before we saw cold- much to the disdain of people in this forum. Yet what happened. Pretty sure @feb1991blizzard can vouch for me...

Then there was 16/17 when the Metoffice were going cold and I refuted it. 

I HATE hubris, but if you're going to push me to it...

I think I'll get you a job with the met office if you've messed up once in 5 years...... Oh dear! 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, inghams85 said:

I think I'll get you a job with the met office if you've messed up once in 5 years...... Oh dear! 

The forums are free to look back upon...

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

The forums are free to look back upon...

Let's see how it pans out shall we. Until then I'd like to hear your scientific reasoning behind your opinion. Nothing more nothing less

Posted
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

Let's see how it pans out shall we. Until then I'd like to hear your scientific reasoning behind your opinion. Nothing more nothing less

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

h500slp-2.thumb.png.b03d045b660ee2204f6cf2cc6de24427.pngt850Kent-1.thumb.png.c9b3c22d8e7034673692bcd619f87679.png

Key evolution I believe. Heights must be noted to eastern seaboard. Can we get a break at this time period.prmslReyjavic.thumb.png.27f6c592ddc8a9c08830cea153d27034.png

Looks possible with current pattern.

ecmt850_216.thumb.png.8cbe5432fe0e45c29f5d7ff8ced41e6a.png

tmp.0.303631137448491.png

• Like 2

Posted

After a brief ridge on Saturday the gfs develops quite an intense low resulting in heavy rain and strong winds in the north. Obviously at this range just a watching brief but the environment is primed for cyclogenisis so not that unreasonable

gfs-deterministic-natl_wide-z300_speed-5763200.thumb.png.7c98470a1f721785c740f9ff3ae2be77.png

162.thumb.png.9cc6910d11018d1356de54ef837f70c0.png174.thumb.png.ae889e3288d7872de83566d51f57e34f.png186.thumb.png.ac6097a36170bc80872f7339fa76dbc8.png

• Like 6

Posted

The longer range charts  currently have    an uncanny look about December  1981 about them,the year I was old enough to be iinterested in the weather.

Of course at that timescale it  could change to a less cold outlook,or even colder outlook.

The uppers never got below minus 5 here that month but their were some serious snowfalls here despite that.

The models  do tend to over amplify in far out land I have noticed,so need to see these charts in the semi- reliable before getting overly excited yet..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T240 gefs. I think the mean on this occasion is ok as guide.

8993E9DC-6BBD-4E5E-840C-38BA90AEF891.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
13 minutes ago, knocker said:

The ext GEF mean anomaly does not develop any meaningful ridging into Greenland

Yes the last few runs have been a lot flatter, Interesting to find out whether the EPS follow suite.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
47 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes the last few runs have been a lot flatter, Interesting to find out whether the EPS follow suite.

T192 gfs and ecm. Fi begins at t120-t144. 

Edit t240  ecm may answer your question.

CF1B9FA6-D709-4EFD-90D0-23BCA0E33E52.jpeg

D0F07BB4-DDEC-4DFD-B78D-362BF5BAF31B.jpeg

5A56EFD4-B867-4E1A-9F6E-367A6B41D958.jpeg

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3

Posted

A Frosty start to the day for northern areas with wintry showers for northern and Eastern coastal areas of Scotland and Northern Ireland these will continue but for the far south it is a fairly cloudy start this is associated with the remnants of yesterday's low which has kept things frost free here to begin the day, there has also been some rain, sleet and snow showers for parts of northeast England overnight some quite heavy too which have come a fair way inland, these will turn lighter and fewer here.. a few light showers for central areas too Through the morning but these fade and many areas stay dry the cloud should break for the far south during the morning.. during the afternoon into this evening a line of showery rain may effect east anglia and the southeast giving a millimetre or two.

Feeling cold today for all with some parts of Scotland remaining around freezing all day. 

Hirlam..

00_12_ukpreciptype.thumb.png.cea5b46fe235f703d5a79dc253065327.png

00_17_ukpreciptype.thumb.png.44ede630e210cc2f5ba170481d472666.png

00_19_ukpreciptype.thumb.png.77cfb49c3e6bdc18d0fecf108eebd7e7.png

Any left over showery rain for east anglia and southeast England fades away overnight with a frost quickly forming in the north then the south later on but some mostly light and patchy rain likely for northern Scotland later in the night. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 9