Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - late November

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

There is nothing wrong with the NH profile in the next 12+ days, it is just the usual story, by hook or by crook the UK misses out on the fun.

JFF the NH profile at D11:

gfsnh-1-264.thumb.png.e93857c51d6e88fabee1090322e99bf5.png

Cold to mid-latitudes in three sectors. That is what we want to see just need the pattern to realign. The US may get another record breaking spell (usual caveats):

anim_ocb2.gif

"Polar Vortex invades the US"!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

gfsnh-0-288.thumb.png.d3436e864336f09808e7709f48a6633c.png

All to play for..

Anyone not seeing the move away from a decent shot at cold must be looking at entirely different model runs. Any cold spell continues to look brief & widespread snow certainly isn't in the forecast at this stage. 

ENS support a +NAO pattern in the mid-extended range, as do the GEFS.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 minutes ago, Danielvn said:

the models don’t really seem to be all that confident about it at present.

The Ecm 0z ensemble mean certainly isn't showing a cold extended outlook into december, it's trending milder thanks to the azores high.

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The colder option is in the minority cluster on the EPS with the largest cluster supporting the return of an Atlantic, westerly regime. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019112300_276.thumb.png.f1cba1278cdef79b632ba9e4fe14119c.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, JON SNOW said:

The Ecm 0z ensemble mean certainly isn't showing a cold extended outlook into december, it's trending milder thanks to the azores high.

Its getting a bit heated in here Karl... Is it safe to come out yet!! Yes the mean does trend milder by day 10....but out to day 14 it does begin to trend down again.... I think it's going to be difficult one way or another to work out which way we are heading at the moment mate... I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the 12z ECM trend colder again. 

px16pmtnnjs01.gif

• Like 9

Posted
24 minutes ago, Danielvn said:

That’s exactly how people feel reading the ramping and pseudo science posted on here sometimes. When it’s showing what people want in FI model X is great at sniffing out these situations, when it all changes then people talking about how it’s still all to play for and anything could change. We all know that when the models move away from a cold solution it’s far far more likely to verify than the eye candy charts that get posted on here all the time.

I have to agree with this. But this whole heated debate is just getting out of hand.  I'm going to focus on the shorter range model output because a lot to talk about.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The mechanics of the next 14 days or so based on current output seem feasible. We have the Russian/Euro monolithic high squeezed east, ejecting HP cells east to be replaced by a mega Scandi-Euro trough. That energy dissipates from the high and some manages to be consumed within a Pacific ridge but the rest traverses the meridian to the UK landing pad, blocked by the trough to our east:

Start: gfseu-0-6.thumb.png.9b5593e5bde0c52069c1350c64607571.png End: gfseu-0-336.thumb.png.d0eea465894e272b6ab8f47bc45b39fb.png

So assuming status quo as to likely pattern, we should expect cold to mid-latitudes in the next 12 days as the Russian/Siberian high slowly dissipates, then the dam finally releases flattening the upstream.

So after D12 not a pretty site for the UK as we await a new pattern.

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Danielvn said:

That’s exactly how people feel reading the ramping and pseudo science posted on here sometimes. When it’s showing what people want in FI model X is great at sniffing out these situations, when it all changes then people talking about how it’s still all to play for and anything could change. We all know that when the models move away from a cold solution it’s far far more likely to verify than the eye candy charts that get posted on here all the time.

After seeing the last few days here I have also have to agree with this statement personnely anythings besides a short lived northerly around the end of the month/into December is what were going to get 

Not to help that there's support for +NAO for next month doesn't help matters...

It hasn't helped with a few that with biased views or this model is "in the bin" when it's not showing what they want 

I think I sit on the side lines for the now and hope we might just get lucky with a cold spell

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Point of note

11 minutes ago, IDO said:

Tgfseu-0-336.thumb.png.d0eea465894e272b6ab8f47bc45b39fb.png

A NW’ly hurricane.......that should verify

IDO not a response to your post.....just pinching your screenshot

BFTP 

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

After seeing the last few days here I have also have to agree with this statement personnely anythings besides a short lived northerly around the end of the month/into December is what were going to get 

Not to help that there's support for +NAO for next month doesn't help matters...

It hasn't helped with a few that with biased views or this model is "in the bin" when it's not showing what they want 

I think I sit on the side lines for the now and hope we might just get lucky with a cold spell

Good points there.i suspect it will be a long winter on here "when it starts" .look at the models has an idea of what may happen after all there computers!obv short term there pretty accurate but how many times have you seen a weather forecast 24 hours before the event say"Wel keep you updated with the track or position of the low etc"granted it's not on a nhp scale but you get my point.Anyway very unsettled week with not wanted rain again.hopefully an anticyclonic spell may arrive asap.chill guys!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

From my very limited experience on here if the models are showing let’s say a really cold snowy blast that actually verifies we 90% of the time end up with a watered down version so to me don’t set your heights too high in the first place and you won’t get so disappointed if it dosnt actually happen.

as regards to the models at present, they are just trying to iron out what may actually happen so there will be wild swings run to run it’s the bigger picture that remains and I’d say at this time of year it could all be a hell of a lot worse. I mean how many times heading towards December will we be talking about Greenland highs etc? Not many. Just see how this exciting model watching actually turns out you never no in a couple of weeks we could well be at the start of a big . Who knows.

I really enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts in here well in the main, keep up the good work

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Danielvn said:

Exactly, I suspect the atmosphere will always be too chaotic for 100% of forecasts to be 100% accurate 100% of the time.

i mean it’s interesting to see the models try, but they’re so far off being accurate it’s not funny.

Yes it's frustrating.the high being forecast was never going to reach Greenland it coudnt.,ieSteve's recent post.if you look which direction the weather is approaching the UK and look for nhp differences early on then that's the way imo.atmospheric changes leaving the ESB are a good guide run to run.all imo and il get my coat

Posted

I'm going to focus on the remnants of ex hurricane Sebastien and how it may enhance rainfall coming in for tuesday. 

Here is the Gfs chart for monday morning..

IMG_20191123_120538.thumb.jpg.4f23657d339dafb38a00620e796d6b33.jpg

IMG_20191123_120644.thumb.jpg.3e8bfc63f562a727658cf0b1e756011f.jpg

The chart's above show where tropical storm Sebastien is.. 

12 hours later.. 

By this point tropical storm Sebastien likely transitioning into a extra tropical system with an area of low pressure just to the north of it.

IMG_20191123_120838.thumb.jpg.39a4a7d3b99db574395f737d0aef0a75.jpg

IMG_20191123_121058.thumb.jpg.04a06545168363c6e7188c073a4d4899.jpg

By Tuesday midday you can see what will likely be ex Sebastien at this point close to northwest Spain but the low to the north has drawn some of this systems remnant energy into its own weather front therefore enhancing the rainfall coming in..

IMG_20191123_121203.thumb.jpg.1c848412eb4991649c49f001e439da17.jpg

A lot of rain likely for Western and perhaps southern areas from this system for tuesday afternoon/night depending on how this low pressure area interacts with Sebastien. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, knocker said:

Tricky call. Way above my pay grade

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019112300_192.thumb.png.7089cb61c1e93cb93cb6f08521fc6fe3.pngec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019112300_216.thumb.png.edc470fb6e5149b2c99a3fbff4f4e82e.png

Yes knocks - the ridge twice as likely based on probs but the op/control at 33% still with more than just a shout ..... thereafter plenty of spanner’s in works that can change things away from a straightforward +NAO or MLB although my general expectation of an MLB is still holding its own ...... 

• Like 5