Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - late November

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The dynamics of the long-wave NH pattern suggests the Ridge toppling is within the standard deviation of the most likely probability. I suspect we will need a few tweaks with the major players to avoid. 

We can see on the ECM D10 chart the train of HP cells filing east to west, so in all essence a mobile pattern though not aligned to the usual zonal charts we expect at this time:

826333045_ECH1-240(16).thumb.gif.af6fbd79310524f5a696433097924322.gif

With the tPV open to persuasion, a wave pattern does ensue in the next 10-days but appears to be overloaded by the magnitude of HP cells, so ATM a static Rossby Wave train fails, as each ridge topples.  

No doubt this forcing can be explained by experts and to whether the models have the momentum correct, as any slow-down could allow more time for WAA, allowing wedges to go to higher latitudes, and get that cold flow redirected. The topple of the Atlantic ridge remains in the 8-10 day window of model volatility so by the end of the weekend, clarity.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

this morning EPS are trending milder for my location in Slovakia, mean bottoms out at -4.4C T850 in the 4th December, few days later is back up to around 0C T850. This to me suggests more of a toppler scenario then sustained blocking, for now it appears we will descend in to normal December conditions for about a week and then perhaps scenario where Azores high topples in to continent with westerly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I think we may see a few more surprises today, sorry cant post charts but ICON 06z shows more of an undercut at T120, pitty it don't go out to T144, be interesting to see if 06z follows suite.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

I think we may see a few more surprises today, sorry cant post charts but ICON 06z shows more of an undercut at T120, pitty it don't go out to T144, be interesting to see if 06z follows suite.

I hope so, snowray...'cause there's little in the GEFS 00Z temperature-ensembles that sparks much, in the way of euphoria...?:search:

t850Leicestershire.png    t2mLeicestershire.png

And now for the GFS 06Z: feted or slated?:unknw:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking into early December the Ecm 0z ensemble mean suggests the azores high / ridge gradually building / nosing in with tropical maritime air feeding around the top of it and into the uk so becoming milder following a period of cooler weather.

EDM0-240.thumb.gif.54146ec84c7e12dd89293de407207d94.gifEDM1-240.thumb.gif.89e06a1daa1e80084a824d60d4fb9573.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Changes early on low deeper across the uk which is what we dont want cos it just drags in milder air with it and also less amplification around eastern states!!but like steve says its the 06z so expect it!

Edited by shaky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Any cold spell at the end of the month is most likely to be short lived, I think a spell of Atlantic driven +NAO is likely during the first half of December.

EC.thumb.png.4167a2f6bbbc4cf26d6f84abddc1e6f2.png

Pretty strong signal from the EPS there. 

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, shaky said:

Changes early on low deeper across the uk which is what we dont want cos it just drags in milder air with it and also less amplification around eastern states!!but like steve says its the 06z so expect it!

It's still better than the UKMO, or has that now been binned as it doesnt show what we want? 

gfs 138 23rd nov 12z.png

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, coldwinter said:

It's still better than the UKMO, or has that now been binned as it doesnt show what we want? 

gfs 138 23rd nov 12z.png

It’s a real shame because Greenland is absolutely ripe for blocking between day 4-7 but we just can’t catch a break with these phasing lows flattening any ridges, so any attempt at a proper block or even a ridge keeps getting squished.

Remember people saying the 6z yesterday should be binned, we’ve ended up somewhere in between the 0z ECM and yesterday’s 6Z, with both being over progressive in different ways. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Any cold spell at the end of the month is most likely to be short lived, I think a spell of Atlantic driven +NAO is likely during the first half of December.

EC.thumb.png.4167a2f6bbbc4cf26d6f84abddc1e6f2.png

Pretty strong signal from the EPS there. 

That makes for very grim viewing indeed and ties in with ecm and ukmo seasonals.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
5 minutes ago, coldwinter said:

gfs 138 23rd nov 12z.png

ECM isn't the best either, a transient northerly followed by a toppling high 

EC.thumb.png.10d12a8ce1c4878536fe78e4f55d038e.png

But, that's the 00z ECM which probably doesn't verify very well, unless it's showing cold of course ;) 

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, coldwinter said:

gfs 138 23rd nov 12z.png

Probably more runs required 

I stupidly come back every winter hoping to see something different, but every winter I read the same posts which hype up something off in FI, disregard models that don’t show cold and use their crayons on model charts to show what they want the weather to do.

Edited by Danielvn
  • Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

ECM isn't the best either, a transient northerly followed by a toppling high 

EC.thumb.png.10d12a8ce1c4878536fe78e4f55d038e.png

But, that's the 00z ECM which probably doesn't verify very well, unless it's showing cold of course ;) 

<something about the ECM not handling these situations well with no evidence whatsoever attached>

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, coldwinter said:

Very poor GFS, Still time for things to go back the other way and give us at least a shot of some 'proper' cold, but squeaky bum time is fast approaching, fingers crossed! 

24hrs ago this forum wasn’t ecstatic with the output...just shows how quickly things can change and they can easily flip back the other way. “Squeaky bum time” is end of March when the last chance of a cold spell is on the rocks! ....it’s not even winter for another week!...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Weekend gloom is here!! Not the forum guys.... The poxy weather. Most definitely a bit of a roller-coaster ride with the models just now. The pattern beyond next week is most definitely not nailed down just yet!! Some interesting ensembles again from the 0Z. Some cold shot, and still the persistent signs of a build of significant cold to the NE/E. This is a strange set up this coming winter folks, the Atlantic remains sluggish!! Just what as happened to the named storms this Autumn! I don't even think Exeter are as confident of a mild dominated spell moving forward. Jon hammond had pointed out there was very mixed signals and contradictory situations with the output moving forward. At the very least l, this coming winter will be keeping us guessing to the very last minute. And I'm pretty sure, that's the way we like it. Have a great weekend if you can.... Not sure about me, I'm stuck under another ruddy rain cloud..

gens-10-0-372.png

gens-10-1-372.png

gens-20-0-312.png

gens-20-0-324.png

gens-1-0-348.png

gens-5-0-240.png

gens-5-1-192.png

• Like 4